Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2018 10:30:50 AM EDT
Long story short, I found this gun store in a small town hardware store (best selection and prices I've ever seen). I fucked up on GunBroker and bid on what I thought was a 30 Cal carbine, and was really a .22.

As I was picking it up I discovered hanging a S&W 1911SC, I'm most sure what correct term would be, I guess it's an Officers? (4 or 4.25" barrel), with Crimson laser grips. It was marked for $500. I'm thinking that's a good deal, as most I've seen on GB are in the $700 range.

I traded the .22 I picked up to them as a deposit on the 1911. And I plan on bringing back my Kimber Custom II in also. It's a good gun, but Kimber is not an approved firearm manufacturer from my employer, so it just sits in my safe.

1. What's a fair amount I should get on the trade in? Kimber Custom II in excellent shape.
2. How did I do on the S&W?
3. Can anyone recommend good mags for it? I prefer a base pad.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
They’ll probably give you about $400 on the Kimber.  I like Wilson Combat ETM HD or 47+p mags.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1911sc is a great pistol.  The price is good.  It’s one I wish I still had.

As for magazines, Tripp Cobras.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Compact-7-Round-Standard-Base-Pad/productinfo/47OX/

So would this fit? Obviously a 7or 8 round Govt would extend to long. I have no prob using 8 round Govt length for secondary and tertiary mags, but for primary I need a flush fitting one (with the exception of the base pad slightly extending).
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My SC uses 8 round mags. It's the Commander size (4.25" barrel).  Officer will use smaller mags. You'll have to post some pics, I don't think I've ever seen a S&W SC in officer before.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith and Wesson's model numbers don't always tell the full story. If the shop simply has it marked as a SW1911SC it could still be a couple of things but more than likely it's NOT an officer's size 1911.
Does it look like any of these?

If it looks like any of the ones with scalloped serrations and a round butt then it's a Commander sized 1911.  There are a lot of size variations now and people keep making up new stuff, but Government and Commander have the same grip length in terms of capacity.  Officer's sized frames are 1 round shorter. You can run longer mags in them, but without some kind of stop on the magazine itself, if you slam a lot of longer magazines home on an open slide you're slamming rounds in to your ejector and you're likely to knock it loose.

My first commander sized gun was a S&W 1911PD that utilized the scandium allow frame as well.  It was a fairly loose fitting gun, but it never failed me and was comfortable to carry.  The current SW1911SC models are just a nice improvement on that line.  I personally don't care for a round butt or the scalloped serrations, but there's function to everything. And I would rather own any S&W 1911 over just about all of the Kimbers.

If you're getting in to a S&W scandium framed 1911 and it's got crimson trace laser grips for $500 then you're probably doing fine.

You're going to get hosed on trade-in on your Kimber, but that's just how trade in works.  If you can afford both I'd get the S&W and then sell your Kimber privately for maximum dollarage.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
its actually none of the above.
its the size of the three in the bottom row, but minus the scallops and curved mainspring.

i prob could sell the kimber private. but that will take time and effort, and chances are i wouldnt actually do it
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
its actually none of the above.
its the size of the three in the bottom row, but minus the scallops and curved mainspring.

i prob could sell the kimber private. but that will take time and effort, and chances are i wouldnt actually do it
View Quote
it actually sounds like the older sw1911PD model like I used to own:

The finish on the slide always looked like it was colored in with pencil, and came off promptly with a Kramer leather holster I had. So I sent the top half off to get cerakoted, which made it match the bottom more.
Sometime after cerakote and a pistol class:

The last photo I had of it in its "final form." By then I had discovered my preference for short, curved triggers, S&A magwells, VZ grips with the super scoop, and 10-8 sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top