Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2020 7:21:41 PM EDT
Hive Mind, I seek some knowledge...

A friend has a SR9 with something going on in the fire control. Sometimes, pressing the trigger feels like a normal pistol. Sometimes, it takes a lot of extra pressure right at the end of the trigger press to drop the striker. My experiences with other designs seems to indicate that the connector may be the issue, but I don't honestly know. I field-stripped the gun and I can see that there's metal-on-metal rubbin on the connector, but I don't know what the solution might be.

We're going shooting later on in the week, and the only solutions that came to my mind were: 1) lubricate the pistol, it is a dry gun at the moment; 2) replace connector with an aftermarket part; 3) send gun back to the factory to be addressed.

Has anyone had this issue with a SR9, and what was the solution?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Try the simplest and cheapest thing first.  Lube it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the magazine safety in the pistol or not?

Do you dry fire the pistol without a magazine?

If you do not have the magazine in the pistol, the striker rubs against the side of the magazine safety.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Magazine Safety question- not my gun, so I don't know. I dry fired it without the magazine, some trigger pulls were normal, some required that extra grunt at the end. I dislike magazine safeties as general rule, and I would extra-dislike a magazine safety that only intermittently made the end of the trigger pull much harder. Based on those observations, I doubt that it's a magazine safety issue, but when I see that gun again, I'll try it with a magazine in to verify.

Agreed on the lubrication. I provided advice to lubricate the pistol, but I'll pick up some CLP or Slip 2000 to hand off when I see the gun again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Dry fire without a magazine will damage the pistol. If he has been doing it a lot, that could be the problem.
It is one of the reasons I remove them from the gun first thing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the response! I don't have the gun or the manual in my possession, how is the magazine safety removed? I dislike those things from a general perspective anyway. I'm also surprised that if it has a mag safety, that I was able to dry fire the gun anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You remove the striker cover at the rear of the slide. Push down on the striker safety (aka striker blocker) and the striker assembly will come out the rear of the slide. The over looking thing behind the striker safety is the magazine safety. Tap the slide in the palm of your hand a couple of times if it does not come out when you turn the slide over. Once it is out, put both the safety and its spring in a zip loc bag and keep it in the pistol case. Then slide the striker assembly back into its channel in the slide. Push down on the striker safety to get it to seat correctly, then push down on the striker shaft (the plastic thing at the end of the striker) and slide the cover back onto the rear of the slide.

Even if you work slowly, this should take under 90 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Newer model cover removal procedure:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top