Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2021 9:56:05 PM EDT
Just as a PSA, there was a safety bulletin sent out regarding the M18.

Striker block is apparently shearing off the striker assembly.

Round count was at around 5-6k. Might want to check your striker assembly.

(Far left, bottom of the assembly in the picture above is the piece).

ETA: Here's the transcribed bulletin:
M17/M18 PQDR

Background —
  •   SOATB is having a new issue with our SIG M18's
  •   The Safety Lock as pictured is shearing and disabling the Drop Safety.
  •   Weapon will still fire and function normally but can be unsafe if dropped.
  •   If not correct weapon could accidentally discharge.

Ongoing Actions —
  •   Inspected and repaired as required.
  •   PQDR submission to TACOM
  •   The affected part can only be replaced as an entire assy: Striker Assy (1005-01-665-3082).
  •   Request that armorers keep Striker Assemblies on hand as Shop Stock.
  •   3 x of the 115 on hand were found broken during inspection.
  •   Round count on the affected pistols was approx. 5-6000 rounds.

Recommendations —
  •   Adjacent Unit Armorers one time inspect all weapons of the affected area on the underside of the slide
  •   Reinspect every time the weapon is issued.
  •   Implement the SOUM or MAM once distro
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Been done with Sig for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Source?  I would like to share if you have one available.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you calling the striker block? The striker housing?
The housing was redesigned some time ago.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's CUI. The pictures accompanying the bulletin basically showed the striker assembly with the striker block missing.

It's not meant as some indictment of an endemic problem, just like an advisory for the armorer's to check their pistols over to make sure everything is still there. Might have been a bad batch of parts or just a few lemons.

Just thought I'd share -- could be worth it to check your striker assembly. Shouldn't take much time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, the part that acts as a striker block. It's part of the striker housing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, they are Indian MIM, so I can't say I'm shocked.

Saying this as someone who has thousands upon thousands invested into the platform currently.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
For reasons I can't explain, I still want one.  Just not ready to adopt a new platform right now.  Sig mags are also retarded expensive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.
Thank you for posting
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
A Sig P320 failing

Seriously that was the dumbest use of tax dollars
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, they are Indian MIM, so I can't say I'm shocked.

Saying this as someone who has thousands upon thousands invested into the platform currently.
View Quote

Got a source for the claim of India supplied MIM?

Under military contracts the manufacture must be CONUS, though they are allowed time to set-up a US manufacture facility.

For the M9, Beretta had to have plant in the US as part of the contract.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Yikes.

Do the M17/18 (or really any of the modern Sig striker guns) have separate striker blocks like a Glock safety plunger which physically impede forward progress in event of a failure like this? Or, is it just the bar on the striker preventing it from going home?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Under military contracts the manufacture must be CONUS, though they are allowed time to set-up a US manufacture facility.

View Quote
Made in India is literally printed on the bag your parts show up in.

The slide, barrels, and FCG (serialed part) are made here. Small parts are fed-ex'd in.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For reasons I can't explain, I still want one.  Just not ready to adopt a new platform right now.  Sig mags are also retarded expensive.
View Quote
ACT mags are $20-25 and tops shelf, if you're curious.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yikes.

Do the M17/18 (or really any of the modern Sig striker guns) have separate striker blocks like a Glock safety plunger which physically impede forward progress in event of a failure like this? Or, is it just the bar on the striker preventing it from going home?
View Quote

The striker block on the P320/M17/M18 is integrated into the striker assembly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yikes.

View Quote

The part that is allegedly failing is the striker block that prevents the striker from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the news a gun addict needs to hear!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The part that is allegedly failing is the striker block that prevents the striker from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled.
View Quote

Which they had to redesigned when they figured out the guns would fire when dropped or hit on the rear of the slide...

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which they had to redesigned when they figured out the guns would fire when dropped or hit on the rear of the slide...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The drop safety issue was due to the mass of the trigger causing the trigger to pull itself under inertia when dropped.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if this is what has been happening to those Sigs that are firing in the holster. Also can you post this in GD pretty please!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was a separate issue. He's talking about that tiny, little thin piece of India MiM "striker block" on the side of the striker.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder if this is what has been happening to those Sigs that are firing in the holster. Also can you post this in GD pretty please!!!!
View Quote

Not trying to have this devolve into a shit fest. Just want it to serve the same purpose as the bulletin itself. Give your guns a once over to make sure everything is still in order.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just going to post this. I have both OEM and Act Mags and the quality is excellent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Jesus here we go again.
Another unfounded claim. Where is this Safety Bulletin?
I have checked every Military source I have as an Armorer CUI or not, I am not seeing it. Also checked S1 net under safety... nothing.
Please source this.
Cp
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jesus here we go again.
Another unfounded claim. Where is this Safety Bulletin?
I have checked every Military source I have as an Armorer CUI or not, I am not seeing it. Also checked S1 net under safety... nothing.
Please source this.
Cp
View Quote

My source is being a lazy piece of shit and won't get on NIPR
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are correct about US DOD procurement. It’s why FN has several factories in the US, as does Glock, Sig Sauer, and Beretta.
His source is some old GD post he pulled out of his ass.

meme removed - this isn't GD
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Appreciate the heads up OP, butt I got questions

1. M17/18 is not a SOCOM/USASOC program. It’s a P2 TACOM (big army) weapon system, so why is SOCOM allegedly fielding this safety message?
2. Safety stand downs are 100% unclass, not CUI (which is the new name for UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO). Why is this one different?
3. What is your source? This ought to have come with an SAFAM, SOUM, GPM, ALARACT etc number. AGAIN.... UNCLASSIFIED, no caveat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You are correct about US DOD procurement. It's why FN has several factories in the US, as does Glock, Sig Sauer, and Beretta.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/427499/37D6111B-F9F0-4C31-9098-232158239845_jpe-1809969.JPG
View Quote
Have you ever ordered small parts from Sig for 320's? I have. All of the small parts have been Made in India.

I currently have 8 Decoms and 2 other 320's. But Sig outsourcing is no secret.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are correct about US DOD procurement. It's why FN has several factories in the US, as does Glock, Sig Sauer, and Beretta.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/427499/37D6111B-F9F0-4C31-9098-232158239845_jpe-1809969.JPG
View Quote

I don't know what the M18 contract says, but I can guarantee you I've shipped plenty of .mil contracted items with components made all over the planet. All with certs on those components signed off by DoD source inspection.

Not saying the M18 has foreign made components but the way he worded it is not accurate across the board for DoD contracts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't know what the M18 contract says, but I can guarantee you I've shipped plenty of .mil contracted items with components made all over the planet. All with certs on those components signed off by DoD source inspection.
View Quote
Yup.  Oh, look.  A contract Israeli Military Industries slide on an M1911A1:

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Appreciate the heads up OP, butt I got questions

1. M17/18 is not a SOCOM/USASOC program. It’s a P2 TACOM (big army) weapon system, so why is SOCOM allegedly fielding this safety message?
2. Safety stand downs are 100% unclass, not CUI (which is the new name for UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO). Why is this one different?
3. What is your source? This ought to have come with an SAFAM, SOUM, GPM, ALARACT etc number. AGAIN.... UNCLASSIFIED, no caveat.
View Quote

1. SOCOM fielded it because they still fall under big Army weapons. They still get M9 Berettas, and in continuum they get the M18.
2. It isn't a safety stand down, it's a safety bulletin that was pushed out to identify a weakness in a weapon system that is currently being fielded.
3. Source is the Regimental Safety Officer who shares bulletins like these and others, (MFF Accidents, Karl-G failures, and Heavy Motor Equipment failures as well).

Maybe you're misunderstanding -- it's not a safety stand down. It's literally just an identification of a weapons failure and literally identifies Armorers to just keep a running stock of full kit replacements. The NSN was even supplied.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Was it this one from PS Magazine?

M17/M18 MHS: New Slide Function Check
June 12, 2020

Soldiers, do you know the M17/M18 modular handgun system (MHS) has two different striker assemblies? One is called the current striker assembly and the other is the original striker assembly.

Both will operate with or without the reset spring and are mission capable as long as the striker is retained by the safety lock and passes all other function checks.

There’s no need to replace the original with the current unless it fails the function checks.

How do you know which striker assembly is in your MHS? Only by performing a slide function check.

Start with the original striker assembly check in WP 12 of TM 9-1005-470-10 (Mar 19) or WP 10 of TM 9-1005-470-23&P (Jun 19). If your slide fails this function test, perform this new slide function test:

Apply slight forward pressure to the striker pin toward the muzzle end of the slide. The striker pin shouldn’t protrude from the breech face of slide.

Press in on the safety lock.

While pressing in on the striker safety lock, push the striker pin forward. The striker pin should move and protrude from the breech face of the slide.

While holding the striker pin forward, release the safety lock. The safety lock should still be held down.

Release the striker pin and push it back to the rear of the slide. The safety lock should reset. You should hear a slight click.

Apply slight forward pressure to the striker pin toward the muzzle end of the slide. The striker pin should not protrude from the breech face.

Check extractor tension by lifting up the extractor and releasing it. The extractor spring should produce resistance.

Note that a slide function test should be performed any time maintenance is performed on the pistol, as well as during PMCS.  The -10 and -23 TMs will be updated with this info.

If you have any questions or need assistance, contact your local Army Materiel Command (AMC) Logistics Assistance Representative (LAR) or your State Surface Maintenance Manager.

For the full message go to:
https://tulsa.tacom.army.mil/Maintenance/message.cfm?id=MI20-029.html

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A Sig P320 failing

View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not saying the M18 has foreign made components but the way he worded it is not accurate across the board for DoD contracts.
View Quote

Last time I ordered some small parts for my P320 the bags all said "made in india" on them, including the spare striker assembly I got.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Been done with Sig for a long time.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was it this one from PS Magazine?

M17/M18 MHS: New Slide Function Check
June 12, 2020

Soldiers, do you know the M17/M18 modular handgun system (MHS) has two different striker assemblies? One is called the current striker assembly and the other is the original striker assembly.

Both will operate with or without the reset spring and are mission capable as long as the striker is retained by the safety lock and passes all other function checks.

There’s no need to replace the original with the current unless it fails the function checks.

How do you know which striker assembly is in your MHS? Only by performing a slide function check.

Start with the original striker assembly check in WP 12 of TM 9-1005-470-10 (Mar 19) or WP 10 of TM 9-1005-470-23&P (Jun 19). If your slide fails this function test, perform this new slide function test:

Apply slight forward pressure to the striker pin toward the muzzle end of the slide. The striker pin shouldn’t protrude from the breech face of slide.

Press in on the safety lock.

While pressing in on the striker safety lock, push the striker pin forward. The striker pin should move and protrude from the breech face of the slide.

While holding the striker pin forward, release the safety lock. The safety lock should still be held down.

Release the striker pin and push it back to the rear of the slide. The safety lock should reset. You should hear a slight click.

Apply slight forward pressure to the striker pin toward the muzzle end of the slide. The striker pin should not protrude from the breech face.

Check extractor tension by lifting up the extractor and releasing it. The extractor spring should produce resistance.

Note that a slide function test should be performed any time maintenance is performed on the pistol, as well as during PMCS.  The -10 and -23 TMs will be updated with this info.

If you have any questions or need assistance, contact your local Army Materiel Command (AMC) Logistics Assistance Representative (LAR) or your State Surface Maintenance Manager.

For the full message go to:
https://tulsa.tacom.army.mil/Maintenance/message.cfm?id=MI20-029.html

View Quote

Don't believe so, it was sent out on 2 February.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Well that is not good, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#37]
@demoMouse I transcribed the bulletin

M17/M18 PQDR

Background —
  •   SOATB is having a new issue with our SIG M18's
  •   The Safety Lock as pictured is shearing and disabling the Drop Safety.
  •   Weapon will still fire and function normally but can be unsafe if dropped.
  •   If not correct weapon could accidentally discharge.

Ongoing Actions —
  •   Inspected and repaired as required.
  •   PQDR submission to TACOM
  •   The affected part can only be replaced as an entire assy: Striker Assy (1005-01-665-3082).
  •   Request that armorers keep Striker Assemblies on hand as Shop Stock.
  •   3 x of the 115 on hand were found broken during inspection.
  •   Round count on the affected pistols was approx. 5-6000 rounds.

Recommendations —
  •   Adjacent Unit Armorers one time inspect all weapons of the affected area on the underside of the slide
  •   Reinspect every time the weapon is issued.
  •   Implement the SOUM or MAM once distro
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I was going to grab one of these for my son soon. Wanted something different from glock and he's joining the Army soon so it gave me a good excuse to grab one.

See them at a local shop often next to fde glocks sometimes, I guess I'll have to rethink this one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's CUI. The pictures accompanying the bulletin basically showed the striker assembly with the striker block missing.

It's not meant as some indictment of an endemic problem, just like an advisory for the armorer's to check their pistols over to make sure everything is still there. Might have been a bad batch of parts or just a few lemons.

Just thought I'd share -- could be worth it to check your striker assembly. Shouldn't take much time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it doesn't bother you to post FOUO on a public forum?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#40]
is this the part?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A Sig P320 failing

View Quote

You realize we PAY for diversity officer and training, right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Yes
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Yes.

That is Sig's answer to a striker block...you know the thing that is usually a big beefy cylinder on Glocks and Smiths.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@demoMouse I transcribed the bulletin

View Quote

So its a PQDR submission going up from SOATB to TACOM regarding a failure observed in only 3 of 115 guns. Hardly the SOCOM issued safety bulletin you made it seem like.

I love all the negativity in this thread, as if there weren't advisories on all kinds of military equipment all the time. Some minor growing pains or a few lemon parts in a new system is a pretty minor speed bump.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So its a PQDR submission going up from SOATB to TACOM regarding a failure observed in only 3 of 115 guns. Hardly the SOCOM issued safety bulletin you made it seem like.

I love all the negativity in this thread, as if there weren't advisories on all kinds of military equipment all the time. Some minor growing pains or a few lemon parts in a new system is a pretty minor speed bump.
View Quote
Honestly though, would you have the same opinion if you heard about 3 striker related issues in a group of 115 Gen5 Glocks?

And this isn't something new. Sig has had that same basic striker configuration for as long as the 320 has been a thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Honestly though, would you have the same opinion if you heard about 3 striker related issues in a group of 115 Gen5 Glocks?

And this isn't something new. Sig has had that same basic striker configuration for as long as the 320 has been a thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering Glock has been building striker pistols since the 80s, I would be surprised if this issue cropped up in a new Glock.

This is something new. The P320 isn't new but there aren't a bunch of TACOM messages out about this issue. I won't hazard a guess on how many M17s or M18s are already in service but its easily in the 1000s. 3 out of a sample of 115 is something to keep an eye on, but 3 out of 1000s is a fluke. If the issue crops elsewhere and TACOM issues a warning then its something to be concerned about.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Considering Glock has been building striker pistols since the 80s, I would be surprised if this issue cropped up in a new Glock.

This is something new. The P320 isn't new but there aren't a bunch of TACOM messages out about this issue. I won't hazard a guess on how many M17s or M18s are already in service but its easily in the 1000s. 3 out of a sample of 115 is something to keep an eye on, but 3 out of 1000s is a fluke. If the issue crops elsewhere and TACOM issues a warning then its something to be concerned about.
View Quote
True.

FYI, I believe Sig has reported that it's 200,000th M17 was delivered to the Army as of late last year.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]
From Soldier Systems article:
What caused the malfunction? That’s still up in the air, but the actual pistol doesn’t seem to be the culprit. That leaves poor holster choice or operator error. Regardless, the article served its purpose, to disrupt pistol procurements. If not for DND, at least for LE Agencies in Canada.”

Soldier Systems Article

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top