Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 8:41:18 AM EDT
Friend has a BHP he'd like to get decent SD ammo for. Any BHP-friendly ammo suggestions for him? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
i've carried and shot Cor-Bon for years, shot all that out and switched to Hornandy Critical Defense, only shot 60 rds thru
my 27 yr old carry gun with no hiccups
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I’m well aware of that thanks. My concern is reliable feeding w/the BHP’s older-style feed ramp.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If the BHP feed ramp is humped (older design as mentioned) you want a closed nose bullet like the Critical Defense as mentioned above for reliable feeding, or a small opening hollow point like Winchester Ranger. If It is a straight feed ramp then larger hollow points will work well. It may take a session at the range with a selection of ammo to determine what’s reliable for that particular Browning.

Mine with the older design humped feed ramp did not feed old style Remington Golden Sabers at all. And was finicky with Win Silvertips. With a new straight ramp barrel feeds everything I have tried so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the BHP feed ramp is humped (older design as mentioned) you want a closed nose bullet like the Critical Defense as mentioned above for reliable feeding, or a small opening hollow point like Winchester Ranger. If It is a straight feed ramp then larger hollow points will work well. It may take a session at the range with a selection of ammo to determine what’s reliable for that particular Browning.

Mine with the older design humped feed ramp did not feed old style Remington Golden Sabers at all. And was finicky with Win Silvertips. With a new straight ramp barrel feeds everything I have tried so far.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry an oldie but a goodie in both my Browning and FEG.  Old school standard pressure load that performs well on the street, is accurate and controllable.  Federal's 9BP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you look at his feedramp?   It has to be pretty old to have the old feedramp.

I use Critical Duty mostly.  But I have not had any issues with HP's in my HP.  Mine is a MKIII though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I test-drove my MK-III with GDHP 124-grain standard pressure, and with 127gr +p+ Ranger. It cycled just fine with both but I'm not sure I'd make a habit of the +p+. It's not what I carry anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My first suggestion would be standard pressure HSTs but if it won't feed them reliably, Remington Golden Saber bullets have a rounded profile that may.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used the green and white Remington hollow points in HP's and had good luck with them due to the rounded bullet tip.  I haven't looked at a gel test on them though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
In my circa 2012 Browning I carry 147gr. HST's.  Feed fine, accurate, and smooth shooting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have used the green and white Remington hollow points in HP's and had good luck with them due to the rounded bullet tip.  I haven't looked at a gel test on them though.
View Quote

I had an older model HP that fed the standard Remingtons just fine. Limited experience with Hydrashoks was good, too.   Loaded a state-of-the-art (for the time) Silvertip in the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
If it will feed FMJ/ball ammo it will feed Federal BP9 ammo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#14]
13 rounds of 124 grain FMJ Nato will solve most - if not all - of my SD needs.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I typically used standard pressure 124 Grain Gold Dots in my MKIII.

They're don't hold up well with plus P rounds.
As noted earlier, it would have to be a pretty old variant or a clone to have the humped feedramps that are problematic with JHP's
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
The feeding of an older Hi Power can usually be improved immensely simply by using a current/newer 13rd Mec-Gar magazine.  That, and feeding it the Federal 115gr 9BP-load, as others have already mentioned.  Nowadays the new 13rd Mec-Gar magazine is cheaper than the ammo.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got a late production BHP. Purchased just months before the cancellation. It’s is simply reliable with everything I’ve given it. Even 122 gr lead truncated cone reloads. When I carry it it’s loaded with standard pressure gold dots. 124 gr flavor.  

But as said if I didn’t have the extra ammo to do proper testing the 9bp is about as good as most at SD and as reliable as ball.  It wouldn’t bother me even slightly if 9bp was all I had.  And I’d be positively ecstatic if I had a dozen cases of it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:22:01 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread needs more HiPower pics...Mine feeds any hollow points just fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I too agree Fed 9BP is the best choice for the old humped ramp guns.  The Mk II and Mk III examples will eat anything I have ever stuffed in them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I carry 147gr HST in my 2012 MFG Hi Power.  Feeds fine and is accurate.  Soft recoil also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top