Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2021 7:39:28 PM EDT

Saw one while I was walking the aisles at the Pasadena, TX gunshow today. Price was below MSRP as well. So I bought it. Will not have to worry about the waiting list I was on.

Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#1]
This may be the one gun that I really want at this point in time, the upgraded 15 round magazines are a bonus.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I played with my buddies the other night. I will be buying one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Niiiiiice! I'm on "the list" at two different places waiting for one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats OP!

My LGS has ordered 20 units. Expected delivery is Jan. 1st.

I'm going to put a deposit on one, MSRP is supposed to be $700.

You did good!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Snagged one at my local shop for $649.  Looks promising.  Lock up is tight.  Trigger is decent by Hi Power standards.  Matt finish looks good.  I like the sights, big white dot front and u-notch rear.  Only one mag but I have several HP mags.  If this shoots like I suspect it will, my Browning Mk III may go down the road.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got back from my LGS, put a $600 deposit down for one.

Hopefully it comes in before Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Garand Thumb did a review on a pair of SAI SA-35s.

He had issues.   Hated the Fakie South African Drama Llama BS at the beginning, but he gets down to the issues at the back half of the video.

I REALLY would like to get one, but would rather that Springfield gets the "kinks" out first.

Again - HIGLY recommend skipping the first half or so ...

Springfield Armory SA-35, The Hi power is back as the SA-35

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 2000-ish FN High Power in .40 S&W, which I was going to have a 9mm barrel fitted to it, but after seeing this from SA, the FN-HP will be sold on consignment at a local gun shop.

I just hope that the sights on the SA-35 can be fitted with Novak sights, without any serious milling out work being needed.  Also planning to add an ambi safety to it… Once I can get my hands on it!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bergunx:
I have a 2000-ish FN High Power in .40 S&W, which I was going to have a 9mm barrel fitted to it, but after seeing this from SA, the FN-HP will be sold on consignment at a local gun shop.

I just hope that the sights on the SA-35 can be fitted with Novak sights, without any serious milling out work being needed.  Also planning to add an ambi safety to it… Once I can get my hands on it!!
View Quote

Saw a thread on the 1911forum on the SA-35.....SA confirms that they are Novak style cut front and rear sights.

I agree, ambi safety is a planned upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Spartan301:
Saw a thread on the 1911forum on the SA-35.....SA confirms that they are Novak style cut front and rear sights.
View Quote

Welllll.... not so fast. Methinks you didn't read the whole thread there.

Scroll down,,, starting at post #75.

It certainly looks to me as if the SA-35 sight cuts are incredibly similar to the Tisas's shown, and not so much to the actual Novak's shown.

FWIW!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Dakotan:

It certainly looks to me as if the SA-35 sight cuts are incredibly similar to the Tisas's shown, and not so much to the actual Novak's shown.

FWIW!
View Quote

Well I did read the email from SA Customer Service saying......

Hello,

Thank you for contacting SA. Yes, the sights on the SA-35 are a Novak cut.

Was I supposed to read more?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got mine to the range.  A short session, it was cold and windy, but it sparked off fifty rounds without a hitch.  Trigger is nice by Hi Power standards, I didn't find the so called sharp edges an issue, and everything worked as it's supposed to.  Didn't do any serious accuracy work, again cold and windy, but the rounds seem to go where I pointed them.  Sights were easy to line up for my ancient eyes.  All in all I am very pleased.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Finally got mine to the range.  A short session, it was cold and windy, but it sparked off fifty rounds without a hitch.  Trigger is nice by Hi Power standards, I didn't find the so called sharp edges an issue, and everything worked as it's supposed to.  Didn't do any serious accuracy work, again cold and windy, but the rounds seem to go where I pointed them.  Sights were easy to line up for my ancient eyes.  All in all I am very pleased.
View Quote

Excellent report, congrats!
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dakotan] [#15]

Hello,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dakotan:

FWIW!

Hello,

Only the part showing photo comparisons of the SA-35's sight cuts next to actual Novak sight cuts and Tisas sight cuts. And the fact that the SA-35 cuts look a LOT more like the Tisas' than the Novaks.
Regardless of what Springfield is saying in e-mails, the side by side photos seem to say otherwise.  

Like in the link.... telling you to scroll down to post 75... showing the pics...
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Novak sights come in many shapes and sizes.

https://www.novaksights.com

You are speculating without proof or any measurements.

SA has confirmed Novak style sights...is that complicated?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dakotan] [#17]
Novak sights come in many shapes and sizes.

https://www.novaksights.com

You are speculating without proof or any measurements.

SA has confirmed Novak style sights...is that complicated?
View Quote

Yeah. I'm aware. I have a number of guns with Novaks.
However Novak style sights and Novak style sight cuts are two different things.

But yeah...Got it. Don't believe my lyin' eyes.

Novak on the left, SA-35 on the right.

SA-35 on the left, Tisas on the right:

Yep. Definitely Novak.

Good day, sir.

Apologies for the thread drift.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Color me shocked that the Tisa seems to have a high level of finish compared to the SR35.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Color me shocked that the Tisa seems to have a high level of finish compared to the SR35.
View Quote

Not going to get a high gloss finish on a SA-35 at this price point. I believe these are aimed at the tinker on my own guns crowd and people who want a good base for a custom. Still thinking of getting mine hard chromed after I have it just right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

Not going to get a high gloss finish on a SA-35 at this price point. I believe these are aimed at the tinker on my own guns crowd and people who want a good base for a custom. Still thinking of getting mine hard chromed after I have it just right.
View Quote

I completely concur that the SA-35 is aimed for the tinker wanting a quality base gun. I'm a big fan of hard chromed Hi-Powers even though I've never used the process. John, when you said after I have it right, did you mean after your intended future modifications or are you having failure issues like some currently? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:34:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnRippert] [#21]
Originally Posted By wagsfn:

I completely concur that the SA-35 is aimed for the tinker wanting a quality base gun. I'm a big fan of hard chromed Hi-Powers even though I've never used the process. John, when you said after I have it right, did you mean after your intended future modifications or are you having failure issues like some currently? Thanks.
View Quote

I had a slight problem with the recoil spring guide assy. It was binding the slide stop so it would barely engage, so I bought a OEM replacement and no more issues. Also was not happy with recoil spring. Very hard to insert and wanted to buckle downward toward the frame when the slide was off. It is about a half inch longer than stock recoil springs on other HP's of mine and replacement stock springs I own. I think SA uses Wolff springs which are longer than stock to help handle +P ammo better, which I do not use. Installed a OEM length recoil spring and like that much better. The back corners of the "beavertail" are quite sharp and irritate me when disengaging the safety. I will be stoning the edges down until that is smooth enough for my taste. I still need to remove the extractor and see how rough the inside of the extractor channel is and smooth if necessary. The extraction issue after several hundred rounds is pretty much the only real issue I have heard of with these guns. Once I have done all that and I am sure it is running smoothly, then I will probably get it hard chromed. Not having any issues other than what I just mentioned.

My biggest irritation ATM is that I cannot find my Spegel cocobolo HP grips. I have a manila envelope with a bunch of different HP parts and it should be in there. Just have to find the damn envelope.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wagsfn] [#22]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

I had a slight problem with the recoil spring guide assy. It was binding the slide stop so it would barely engage, so I bought a OEM replacement and no more issues. Also was not happy with recoil spring. Very hard to insert and wanted to buckle downward toward the frame when the slide was off. It is about a half inch longer than stock recoil springs on other HP's of mine and replacement stock springs I own. I think SA uses Wolff springs which are longer than stock to help handle +P ammo better, which I do not use. Installed a OEM length recoil spring and like that much better. The back corners of the "beavertail" are quite sharp and irritate me when disengaging the safety. I will be stoning the edges down until that is smooth enough for my taste. I still need to remove the extractor and see how rough the inside of the extractor channel is and smooth if necessary. The extraction issue after several hundred rounds is pretty much the only real issue I have heard of with these guns. Once I have done all that and I am sure it is running smoothly, then I will probably get it hard chromed. Not having any issues other than what I just mentioned.

My biggest irritation ATM is that I cannot find my Spegel cocobolo HP grips. I have a manila envelope with a bunch of different HP parts and it should be in there. Just have to find the damn envelope.
View Quote

Thank you, John for the update! Before I get into what you've experienced so far, I am patiently waiting for a SA-35. Honestly I'm disappointed SA is having such a difficult time putting the SA-35 on dealers shelves. The problems that have been documented (same as you mentioned) can be corrected in short order I believe. What's taking so long just keeping up with demand has me wondering about where they're actually manufactured (off-shore maybe). Just my personal thoughts.

The positive thing about your early issues is that OEM Browning HP parts are still readily available. And I'm with you on Wolff Springs, don't care much for them. Sorry. I usually run OEM 17lb recoil springs and recently purchased two (2) BHSS 18lb springs. Haven't tested them yet, but then again I don't run +P ammo as a general rule. The burring in the extractor channel, sharp tang to sharp edges all over the firearm does irk me to some extent, but easily corrected. And when you remove your extractor & spring compare the SA hook to a OEM extractor since I've seen where they are not as large as the OEM which could also contribute to extraction problems. I forgot to ask: can you engage the thumb safety up with the hammer down just enough that the slide won't retract or even slightly hang up?

Well, everything you've mentioned is easily corrected if you know a little about BHP's. Last week I went through my BHP parts box and have everything you've changed out so far so I should be good to go! I feel your pain locating your parts box with needed items. Craig signed my BHP cocobolo grips in 94 that I have on my 25yr old + Novak Spec Ops. Again thank you for the grately appreciated feedback!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wagsfn:I forgot to ask: can you engage the thumb safety up with the hammer down just enough that the slide won't retract or even slightly hang up?
View Quote

Hammer down and safety biased upwards there is still a slight bit of clearance. Not much, but enough that there is no contact between the safety and the slide. Also, BHSS standard weight recoil springs are what I keep as replacements and now have installed in my SA35.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top