Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2022 11:43:14 PM EDT
Bought a Ruger 57 on black friday, and out of the box, it is a decent pistol.

I want to suppress, so I ordered a $200+ threaded barrel from Ruger. Its a Ruger barrel.. not aftermarket.

Barrel comes in, I install and go to shoot today.

Pistol wont run suppressed.. Hmm.. remove suppressor, pistol still will not extract or eject. Deeper hmmmm. I load 2 rounds of FN factory 197 ammo into mag, retract slide, load.. fire... slide fails again.

I look over gun closer.. and there is the culprit. The new barrel is not allowing the round to fully chamber, and to top it off, the gun is firing out of battery.

Granted its not vastly out of battery.. about .010 out of battery.

Below are pics of a round loaded into gun with visible brass ahead of breechface, and digital calipers on the barrel that came with pistol, and the Ruger factory threaded replacement.

This shouldn't be hard. How they let this stuff out is beyond me.. this is low hanging fruit.

Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Granted its not vastly out of battery..
View Quote

It's like being "a little bit pregnant."
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's like being "a little bit pregnant."
View Quote

right.. for something they are charging $300 on their site for...
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one of the Ruger 5.7's and a Ruger factory threaded barrel.  It runs flawlessly with my Dead Air Mask.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I got one of the Ruger 5.7's and a Ruger factory threaded barrel.  It runs flawlessly with my Dead Air Mask.
View Quote

Sadly not mine... hopefully after it gets exchanged. You need to run a booster on your mask?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I see that tool in your picture. Do not Dremel cut a new chamber!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I see that tool in your picture. Do not Dremel cut a new chamber!
View Quote

Calm down... never entered my mind. I own a production plant filled with mills and CNC where we manufacture over 1200 parts for the firearms industry. The "dremel" wrench on the bench is for a polishing buff with some rouge for doing some of our gun jewelry pendants.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Are those little threads in the picture threads, or does you gun have a burr that is shaving a thread off the cartridge case as it enters the chamber?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sadly not mine... hopefully after it gets exchanged. You need to run a booster on your mask?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not run a booster.  Mine has functioned flawlessly with both types of ammo I have fed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top