Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2023 6:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer]
I purchased my LCP in 2014.  I’ve shot it regularly and frequently carry it as a BUG.  

I estimate 3000+ rounds through it over the years.  It’s been reliable right up until earlier this Spring, when it started jamming almost every shot, failing to extract the spent cartridge:

Attachment Attached File

I called Ruger, described the issue snd they said they would send me a new slide assembly.  It arrived yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Old slide on top, new slide installed on pistol below.

I immediately noticed how Ruger has changed the extractor design.  I’m assuming it happened recently.

UPDATE: New slide assembly works great.  Old one headed back to  Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Fulcrums are a thing. Bet they had issues with the shortie.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Wild they're still making the LCP today with the crazy successful MAX out.  Glad to hear it though.  I still like mine.

I had the same issue as you, and I assumed it was the extractor, so I ordered a new one.  That wasn't it though.  What fixed it was a heavier recoil spring.  My assumption is that it was trying to unlock too fast.  Chamber pressure not allowing the round to be extracted, too forceful on the brass?  I don't know but a heavier spring fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
Wild they're still making the LCP today with the crazy successful MAX out.  Glad to hear it though.  I still like mine.

I had the same issue as you, and I assumed it was the extractor, so I ordered a new one.  That wasn't it though.  What fixed it was a heavier recoil spring.  My assumption is that it was trying to unlock too fast.  Chamber pressure not allowing the round to be extracted, too forceful on the brass?  I don't know but a heavier spring fixed it.
View Quote

I was surprised Ruger was still making runs of LCPs as well.  I assumed at this point it was all LCP II and LCP Max in production.

I would not have paid to send this pistol in for service.   If Ruger hadn’t sent me parts free of charge, it would be retired to the back of  the safe.  

If this new slide fixes the reliability issue (which I think the new extractor design points to a “yes”) then this LCP will go back to being a pocket carry option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

View Quote

The recoil spring assembly included with my new slide is noticeably heavier than my previous recoil spring, which was an OEM weight replacement spring.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

The recoil spring assembly included with my new slide is noticeably heavier than my previous recoil spring, which was an OEM weight replacement spring.
View Quote

Cool.  I bumped mine up to the Wolff 13 pound set.

Glad you got that new fly slide.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Took the new slide assembly to the range and it performed just like the previous one used to.

100% reliable with Speer Lawman 95gr TMJ (my usual carry load), and accurate enough to easily make headshots at 5 yds.

I “upgraded” the front sight and its ready for carry.

Attachment Attached File

I think the reason keeps producing the LCP 380 is probably a combination of selling them cheap (quick online check shows the LCP 380 is so out $100 less than LCP II or LCP Max) and hsving spare parts available.

To be honest, in 2023 I would not buy an LCP Gen 1 380 again.  LCP II in 22LR or LCP Max in 380 are, IMHO,  better choices for the deep carry pocket BUG role.

But as long as I can get cheap or free spare parts to keep this one running, I’ll keep it around.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have  an original lcp and I carry it a lot, I have given lot of thought to the lcp max just because of the extra rounds and better sights.
I also carry a max 9 I prefer the lcp because it is mote compatible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rickypoole:
I have  an original lcp and I carry it a lot, I have given lot of thought to the lcp max just because of the extra rounds and better sights.
View Quote

IMO, the addition of real sights is the biggest upgrade from the LCP Max.  Extra rounds on board is nice, but having sights is even more important.  The little nubs on the LCP are barely functional.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, my LCP 1.0 had about 1500 rounds through it, about 100 rounds per year, when it started having the same issue.
I called Ruger and they sent a paid shipping label.
Got it back in about 10 days.
They replaced the slide and barrel.

About 200 rounds through it since then and it runs great.

Now I've got to pull it out and see if my slide looks like yours.
You've got me curious.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mini14jac:
OP, my LCP 1.0 had about 1500 rounds through it, about 100 rounds per year, when it started having the same issue.
I called Ruger and they sent a paid shipping label.
Got it back in about 10 days.
They replaced the slide and barrel.

About 200 rounds through it since then and it runs great.

Now I've got to pull it out and see if my slide looks like yours.
You've got me curious.
View Quote

@mini14jac

I’m curious as well.  My working theory is Ruger discovered a design flaw in the “short extractor” slide, and after a certain number of rounds something is wearing to the point the extractor no longer functions.  

I pulled my extractor and examined it carefully to see if there was material missing from the hook, and I couldn’t see any obvious damage.  

I doubt very many LCPs see more than a few hundred rounds in their entire service life.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#11]
Will try to check today.

When I called they offered to send me an extractor so it would have had to fit in my existing slide.
I chose to send it in and get it resolved quickly.
I think that happened around December/January.

I’ll post pics when I get home.

ETA:
Almost forgot again but I did look.

Mine has the same extractor design that it's always had.
(Just like your top picture, OP.)
The Ruger website still shows the original design on all the LCPs.

Ruger Inc. LCP page

Be interesting to see if anybody else gets a gun with the new extractor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#12]
@Aeroengineer, it looks like they are upgrading the extractor.

My gun that got a new slide/barrel assembly a few months ago because of failures to extract:

Attachment Attached File

The new slide has the same small extractor as the old one.

Here is the slide of a new LCP Max.
Notice the large extractor like the one in your picture:

Attachment Attached File

But, check this out;
If you click on the link I posted above to the Ruger LCP page, Ruger Inc. LCP page
all of the guns pictured have the small extractor EXCEPT the first one at the top of the list. (See screenshot below)

Attachment Attached File

So, yes it looks like Ruger is quietly changing the slide/extractor design.

Thanks for calling that to our attention.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting.  Thanks for checking.

My new slide has been functioning just fine with no issues to date.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a new production LCP in FDE. It has the long extractor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Which number did you call?
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
View Quote

336-949-5200
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 7:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#17]
I doubt they have updated LCP Custom slides.

No issues so far atleast.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]

336-949-5200
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

336-949-5200

Thanks. I’m sending mine in for the upgraded slide/extractor today.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

When did you buy yours? I have one I got recently and it has the updated extractor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

When did you buy yours? I have one I got recently and it has the updated extractor.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ivan1:

Summer 2021
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]

IMO, the addition of real sights is the biggest upgrade from the LCP Max.  Extra rounds on board is nice, but having sights is even more important.  The little nubs on the LCP are barely functional.
View All Quotes

It was designed as a pocket pistol and in 2008 there weren’t better options.

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

Ruger could easily offer a version of the LCP/LCP II with front/rear dovetailed sights.  

I’m quite certain the reason they don’t is two reasons: 1. It would add cost to the final gun when Ruger likes to sell CHEAP pistols and 2. the erroneous belief by many that any sights bigger than a nub  will snag.

I doubt Ruger will ever need to offer real sights on the LCP because I’m also certain the average LCP is barely shot, and certainly not shot frequently or in any sort of a timed drill against standards.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

With real sights, trigger, and 4 extra rounds in a flush fit magazine - the LCP Max is a no brainer in today’s market.

Glad Ruger hooked you up with the parts though, OP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#24]
They updated the lcp with little taller sights and a better trigger. I like the lcp trigger for what it is. Mine is from this year so it has the newer extractor aside from the taller sights abd better trigger. Not sure when it was updated but have to have been mid 2010’s I think.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Nate19:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/412968/IMG_1816_jpeg-2984422.JPG

With real sights, trigger, and 4 extra rounds in a flush fit magazine - the LCP Max is a no brainer in today’s market.

Glad Ruger hooked you up with the parts though, OP.
View Quote

Thats the older gen one. I compared the lcp max with the lcp and the max is way bigger though. I wanted the smallest pistol possible to stick in my pocket. I tried a clip draw with a trigger guard holster but I think I’m going back to pocket cause its hard to draw it from my waist with the clip. It sits all the way inside my waist. Heres a pic of the sights. I painted the front white for faster acquisition.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Ruger replaced my “slide assembly” I cannot tell if that included the barrel and recoil spring too

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#27]

@mini14jac

I’m curious as well.  My working theory is Ruger discovered a design flaw in the “short extractor” slide, and after a certain number of rounds something is wearing to the point the extractor no longer functions.  

I pulled my extractor and examined it carefully to see if there was material missing from the hook, and I couldn’t see any obvious damage.  

I doubt very many LCPs see more than a few hundred rounds in their entire service life.
View Quote

I had my LCP about four years and fired about 200 rounds.  This spring, I was trying some new ammo and the extractor popped out.  I was shooting in a field and couldn't find the extractor.  I called Ruger, expecting them to replace the extractor.  Instead, received the entire slide assembly.  So far, so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top