Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2020 7:37:43 PM EDT
Bought mine today, it just had 60 rounds, various ammo run through it.

Attachment Attached File

Sights are minimal, but enough to make my .22 targets spin.

@discworld717
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Thx Capt!
Hey everybody I am interested in getting a wrangler and was just wondering how they behaved through a life time of use. I noticed that there aren't that many high round count videos on Youtube. I asked the capt to make this thread as a place to keep track of performance over time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious to hear about some high round count experiences, as well.

Got mine a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Will report back whenever I get the chance to run some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got maybe 250 through one of mine all flawless
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got one yesterday so my count begins Monday.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thx Capt!
Hey everybody I am interested in getting a wrangler and was just wondering how they behaved through a life time of use. I noticed that there aren't that many high round count videos on Youtube. I asked the capt to make this thread as a place to keep track of performance over time.
View Quote

High round count ?? Lifetime of use ??

The thing has only been on the market for a couple of years. Would take some dedicated shooting to have ran several thousand rounds through one already.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s 22 lr. It’s super easy to run through a brick a month. I figured some of the YouTube channels like 22 plinkster would have done this over a year but they didn’t. Lots of people on arfcom shoot weekly and I suspect the wrangler tags along.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It’s 22 lr. It’s super easy to run through a brick a month. I figured some of the YouTube channels like 22 plinkster would have done this over a year but they didn’t. Lots of people on arfcom shoot weekly and I suspect the wrangler tags along.
View Quote

With a single action revolver with a loading gate, you go through rounds a little slower.

I'm up to about 120 rounds, and getting used to the sights.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I usually get through about a 100 rounds a trip on the Bearcat. I'd shoot more but I hate going to BLM land when it rains.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got 1400 rounds through mine.  The finish on the cylinder shows a bit of wear but the rest of the gun is fine.  All seems well so far.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
At around 65 rounds, do your cylinders start to clog with powder? I have two cylinders on my bearcat that choke at this count.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#11]
After firing 100 or so rounds I could definitely feel the crud when loading, still loaded fine, just felt dirty.  Most I've gone between cleanings is around 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just curious but why would "round count" on a decent .22 lr SA revolver even be a thing?  

I mean if my old High Standard Double Nine which has had brick upon brick through it with no ill effects can take it I suspect as long as you don't use the Wrangler as a hammer you will be fine.

If anything I suspect the Wranger will only show issues with the loading gate spring like the Single Six tends to with age and that is more to do with the number of times it's opened to load more than anything else, and even that is a simple fix.

I bought two Wranglers and I guess i have near a brick through one of them. The other will be passed on, NIB, to my Great Grandson.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that guns like the Bearcat, the Single Six, and the High Standard are built to a different standard than the Rohm or Heritage. I just want to find out where the Wrangler fits on the scale. I also thought that the best way to know is shoot it.

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Was at Bass Pro today and handled one for the first time. Always loved single actions, but didn't want to pay the higher ammount for a Single Six, especially when a center-fire version is so close in price.

I was impressed with the Wrangler for the $199 price tag it wore. Not a huge fan of the plastic grips, but i can't complain for the price.

May pick one up at some point, curious as to how the hold up as others have stated.

Though, being a Ruger, and how solid it felt, i cant imagine anything can go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't like the grips you should be able to swap them out for Vaquero and Single Six grips.

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-grips/ruger-grips/single-action

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/xrp/
I actually like them more than I thought I would.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Totally ignorant on the Wrangler. What is different between it and the old Single Six?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It is the same size but only the barrel and cylinder are steel. The frame is an aluminum alloy. The finish is cerakote and available in three colors: burnt bronze, silver, and black. The cylinder freely spins when the loading gate is opened. Additionally, it has fixed sights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Over Labor day weekend got bored and ordered 2 of the burnt bronze wranglers. Picked them both up today cleaned/painted front sight and tried feeding various brands of 22s to see if any sticked or hard to eject. Arizona is still shut down due to wildfires for shooting out in desert so as soon as it cools down and opens up will shoot a few rounds to see how they shoot. They handle great loading gate is not a problem and could have bought 3 for the price of one stainless single six these days. I believe this little single action is a inexpensive gem at $199.     Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got an black one (16K serial) that's a got a bit more wear on the cylinder with a few less rounds than my bronze (57k serial) one.  Probably have 700rds through both combined.  

The factory plastic grips are awful, IMO.  I put rosewood grips on the black one, and black laminate on the bronze one.  Both are equally smooth and shoot better than the sights will allow.

My brother has an early production bronze one, he's shot 1200 someodd rounds out of his.  

They show a bit of holster wear near the muzzle end of things except the barrel.  The exterior bluing on the Cylinder seems to taper off after some use, newer production doesn't get as worn as the early production from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Those grip changes look great!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#22]
If anybody is interested Academy has wranglers with the laminated grips like the black one in the post above and a leather holster on sale for $199... same price as the standard ones with plastic grips.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
A hit or miss idea.  I shoulda just bought a stainless Single Six.

(11-7-2020: From Ruger section.)

Friday 11-06-2020 I went looking for I did not know what at a XXL outdoor store.  Had already ordered my Official “F” ChinaJoe & CommieVanilla choice.  Unsure of when delivery and figuring Friday was the day Hell might break loose.  ChinaJoe indicates when he shuts down the country for three straight months after January 20, gun stores will not be essential items to be open.

Actually wanted some primers and something labeled Long Rifle.  Zero of either.  No worries.  Looked about.  No 9mm.  No .38.  TONS, PALLETS, of Federal and WW 5.56mm M855.  $399/500.  $749/1000.  Military ammo diverted for the Revolution.  Not needed.

Looked about more.  Wahoo!  Got a TX22 magazine.  Didn’t seem enough for the travel gas cost.

Wranglers.  $189.  May I look at one.  Nice clerk kid asks if I know about single action guns.  A little.  Proceeds to give me the beginner course in cowboy guns.  I eventually pick up the display gun.  It felt like a gun.  Weight.  Some steel.  Fit hand nice.  Pointed.  Sights skimpy.  All Black.  Gunny seeming.

Ok.  Fetch me one from the stock room.  Clerk there and back again.  Wants to do paper work.  Old Fart me says perhaps check it out first?  Shure.

Do so.  Screws in, barrel aligns with rear sight, frame and grip frame match.  Cock and dry fire.  OK and will get better.  Finish on steel thin, Black CeroCote nice, black grips acceptable.

Catch light under cylinder.  Cock slowly 6 times.  Cylinder stop did not engage a single time out of six notches at full cock.  Show the nice clerk, suggest return to Ruger, explained timing and cylinder carry up.  He says, and you let me explain how it works?  I said I thought it impolite to interrupt you.  Besides, you did a nice job.  Informative without being condescending.

Fetched another. All 6 hammer trys dropped the cylinder stop into the notches just before full cock with a click.  All else checked out.  Paperwork, $, left for farm.  

The whole experience seemed wrong.  I did not need to buy 5-10 spare mags that cost as much as the recent TX22 or Glock 44.  No need for new sights.  No need to clean, lube, and hand cycle a semi auto to smooth it up before shooting.  There wasn’t even a place to insert a magazine.  It was just a complete item, a functioning gun.  Bare and alone.

Shot some steel plates at 15 yards.  More or less, more less, centered on fresh paint with 50-60 rounds of Blazer 40RN, Remington HV Viper, Remington 36HP, CCI Quiet.  Seemed to want to shoot left.  How much, hard to gauge at that point.  Nice big firing pin footprint.  Every round fired.  Old fingers take forever to load.  It takes work to fire every round.  Then more one by one unload.  Then forever to load again.  Busy.  Where is my NY Reload?

Very unlike taking 10 loaded TX22 mags with 16 rounds each to the range loaded at home.  Or same with Glock 44.

In an ammo shortage, 50 rounds in the Wrangler would feel like an outing.

The most gun I ever bought for the money was a Ruger semi auto RST-6 for $37.50 while in grade school (late 1950’s).  I took it home that day and burned a brick making sure it worked.  $37.50 in 1957 money earned picking potatoes at 5cents a bushel is about a $189 Wrangler today, I suppose?  [EDIT:  actually inflation calculator says $338.  Interesting.  About what a new Ruger semi auto costs today.]

After firing those ten cylinders through the Wrangler and some dry firing, I noticed the cylinder locked up as the hammer came slowly to full cock.  Just a tad slower, but before the hammer hit the rear of the frame.

Completely different adventure, but fun.  Certainly worth the cost.  Excuse for buying was so Grandkids could see what a gem modern designs are.

Might paint the front sight??  Will bench rest it to find the zeroing ammo, if any.  So simple.  So functional.  Complete item.

(Update 11-10-2020)

Alas, bench rest testing at 25 yards, rested two hands sitting supported over a carpet roll, indicates it impacts 3.5-4.0” left of center on average with Blazer 40RN, Rem40 Golden Bullets, WW333 36HP, Fiocchi 40 CPRN, and Rem36 GBHS.  The 6” Shoot & See targets were untouched except for an occasional nick on the left edge at 9:00. ??

The calculated center of the rear sight movement necessary to zero would be 0.02”, but to move the center 0.02”, the notch would have to be widened to the right 0.04”.  A visual mess.  

Ruger CS desires the Wrangler back to home base to evaluate.

Received at Ruger 11-13-2020.  As always, excellent CS folks.???????

Got a very nice CS email that gun received and they will tell me what done and when it will be shipped back.

(12-5-2020:)

No gun yet.

Gotta go back to L.L.Bean Rule:  “Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.”

No real excuse for buying other than having $ to burn in pocket and desiring to contribute to the economy.  Already having a convertible Single Six, Wrangler probably will end up a mistake.  ??
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Great write up sorry for the problems.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Hesitating to be negative.  They seem nice guns.  MIM parts simply assembled rather than fitted.  Doubt very much if they are targeted at all.  Just assembled and shipped.  Thus the no lock up sample at the store.

My baseline is that Ruger and Smith fixed sight .22/38/other revolvers with the intended ammunition usually shoot zero close to L-R center for me.

A smidge of barrel rotation would fix it, but probably be noticeable.  A shim added on the left of the front sight and contoured to match would move impact to right.  There isn’t much you can do with the factory staked on Wrangler sight in a barrel slot.

Mostly, its the annoying problem of sometimes fixed sight revolvers shoot crooked.  My blue Single Six shoots a same perfect zero with both .22LR and .22WMR cylinders which surprises me every time.

Mostly, I know better than to go so far down the quality food chain.

I shall see CS result.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to be reading this, I had been holding off getting one cause every time I walked into my local shop they were always out

Looked everywhere today for a Magpul 10/22 take down stock and went to my local shop hoping for the best. They were out of those but had a Wrangler, mainly black cerakote and one silver. Didn’t like the looks on the hammer of silver, so went with a black one
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Sarge, update this thread when you’ve shot it a bit. I’ve tossed around the idea of getting one but wasn’t encouraged by a few things I’ve read.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#28]
12-14-20:  No word.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven’t had a chance to get out and shoot it yet. Been busy taking on extra responsibilities at work that took over my official days off and then went straight back to work on Saturday.

I had hopes to go shooting later this week but then remembered I was on call. Probably won’t be until after Christmas that I get to shoot it

Looking it over, fit and finish looks good. Should be a lot of fun
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#30]
LOLs.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#31]
12-19-20.  No Wrangler.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought one and shot it a decent amount then decided I like it so much I wanted a nicer version, went and bought a Single Ten a few months back.  Love it.  The Wrangler is solid for the money though.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Wrangler scrapped by mothership.  No reason given.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, they had just started distributor specials.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

ETA
It’s still on the website.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ETA
View Quote

Just my Wrangler.  Mis-understood my post.  My Wrangler returned to Ruger for crooked shooting is declared scrap by tech on exam.  NOT the whole Wrangler line.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA
View Quote

Some interesting color combos
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just my Wrangler.  Mis-understood my post.  My Wrangler returned to Ruger for crooked shooting is declared scrap by tech on exam.  NOT the whole Wrangler line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Are they sending you a replacement or a refund?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Zero! But I got my 13 YO boy one for Christmas . Looking forward to the first rounds. Seems like a great first handgun ??
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Unknown at moment.  Won’t know till CS guy is back after first of year.  Use for a grandkids Xmas gift long over.  No point in rushing CS staff.  How does one explain being pizzed off enough to not be concerned?  ChinaJoe said it would be a long winter.

Ruger CS is most excellent.  I will figure it out in due time and update.  Edit:  After two fubars, refund.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top