Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2020 5:29:15 PM EDT
I picked up a very nice MKII 10" stainless.

Wanted to replace the sights with a brighter sight.

Purchased the Williams Fiber Optic Fire Sight.

Installation went perfect but when I took it to the range I could not get enough down elevation to bring in the sight on target at 25 YDS..

I was looking around the range and found some thick paper, made a shim under the front sight. This shim did help bring my shots down to about .5" above the bullseye.

Now I am going to make a better shim, but got me to wonder if someone else has run into this issue.

Now before you ask, NO I did not shoot it before I replaced the front and rear sights so I don't know if it was off from the get go

I don't have a issue with a shim under the front sight just wondering how thick I gotta make it to have elevation in center of adjustment.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I know some Ruger MK II were designed / sighted to use the "lollipop" targeting. Just a thought.

If that is the case, and your aiming at center mass, it would explain shooting high.

If range is convenient , go shoot again but. Try lollipop approach before making big changes
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advise.

I was using the lollypop sighting.

10 ring on top of the front sight

I will be experimenting with the size of the shims.

Just got to get a longer screw and this one is now only catching on about 3 turns

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just measured the orig and the new front sight.

Found my problems.

Orig front sight measures .513"

Replacement measures .446"

That means I will need a shim about .067"

I will contact the manufacture of the sights to see if they have a taller one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Try cutting a nice clean cut piece of aluminum can to shim with, add pieces as needed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a great idea.

Didn't think of a beer can shim.

I was looking for plastic shim material, got's lots of beer cans around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top