Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 3:29:37 PM EDT
After looking and looking for a few years I finally located locally an excellent condition blued Ruger Speed Six 357 magnum with 2 3/4" barrel and original box! Date of manufacture is 1980. It's very tight and no holster wear. Guessing it spent most of it's life in it's box. Completely field stripped and looked just as good inside than out! Was hoping for a shooter, but think this may go back into the safe. I'll have to think about it since I have a SP-101 & GP-100 Wiley Clapp to keep me occupied.

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on a great revolver!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That would make a perfect carry gun.

Have you ever had a hunting dog?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Great revolvers.   I have two.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine for a back up gun in 82, or so.  Stainless 2&3/4" .357.  Bobbed the hammer (they are really easy to take apart and put back together) and carried it in my pocket for the next 3 or 4 years, on and off duty.

Duty - carried it in my right coat pocket with two HKS speed loaders in my left coat pocket (cold weather carry).

In the summer I carried it in my pants pockets (or the center/top zipper pocket when wearing bib overalls to wade the rivers smallmouth bass fishing - with snake shot loads).  Killed a couple copperheads with it while groundhog hunting.

Still pretty and still shoots good after all these years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Pat Rogers carried a Speed Six as a backup to his S&W Model 10 back in his NYPD days. Good find, OP!
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I'll be shooting it. Guess I didn't report back on my 1st range outing which was positive last week. My new BK Grip adapter arrived early in the week. As reported by a respected contributor on another forum the S&W K frame grip adapter worked well for them (BK Grip does not make an adapter for Rugers. Only Colt & S&W). After about an hour of dremeling, filing, measuring and fitting I'm almost there! The right side is almost perfect, but left side needs just a tad more removing/fitting of the grip adapter to my liking. Due to time constraints thanks to work I'll get back on this in about 3 weeks. I like the feel of the BK Grip and looking forward to some range time with them very soon! All I need is time......

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought on new in SS in '81 for, I think, $150 or $175. Loved that little wheelgun and wish I could find another. My old one vanished mysteriously and coincidentally when a "friend" needed money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a stainless 2 3/4" Speed Six in 9mm for a short time.  I couldn't find moon clips to work for it, but the damn thing had the slickest action I've ever felt on a revolver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
So badass!

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Stupidest gun deal I ever did was trading off a 2.75" 357 Speed Six with both hammers, with the box and papers for a plain Jane Sig 228.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Decades ago ('85 - '89?) my Mom wanted a gun.  Dad had become disabled and as they had had a couple break-ins of the farm equipment shop while they were home, I thought it was a good idea.  I took her shopping and she decided on this same gun.  When she passed in '13, I inherited it.  It may not be my most favorite gun, but it is my most treasured gun.  I have a Lobo Gun Leather Classic Tom Threepersons holster for it and carry it once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Decades ago ('85 - '89?) my Mom wanted a gun.  Dad had become disabled and as they had had a couple break-ins of the farm equipment shop while they were home, I thought it was a good idea.  I took her shopping and she decided on this same gun.  When she passed in '13, I inherited it.  It may not be my most favorite gun, but it is my most treasured gun.  I have a Lobo Gun Leather Classic Tom Threepersons holster for it and carry it once in a while.
View Quote

Nice story and memories...... my new El Paso Saddlery Street Combat #88 holster due to arrive next Tuesday 6 weeks after ordering! Pictures to follow.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice find, beautiful pistol!

How much $$$?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the full security six family. 2.75-4-6”.

But somethings about the speed six with its round butt and trim notch sights has appeal.

Good to know about that BK grip adaptor. I have one on a S&w model 10 that doesn’t need it and my security six snubby kicks like a mule. Probably should start fitting it to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the nicest revolvers Ruger has ever made !

Nice Find
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a beaut right there OP. I have a stainless .38 special only speed six from '81. Every time I handle and shoot it, I wonder why I don't shoot it more often. The factory grips fit my hand better than say a K frame with magnas, which I always switch out, and I like being able to leave it in its factory configuration.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Yesterday my much anticipated EL Paso Saddlery #88 Street Combat OWB holster arrived. Six weeks was wait time. A problem I ran into at first was finding a quality holster maker who would make a holster for a 32 years ago discontinued revolver (1988). EL Paso Saddlery has been around over a 100 years and didn't let me down. This is a very sturdy pancake style holster that rides just about perfect for my 6'2" frame. I wore it around the house yesterday and it felt secure with a quick smooth draw and a positive reentry. What amazed me the most was how thick this holster is. EL Paso did not skimp on the leather. Doubt it will be hanging away from the body or belt anytime soon. Pretty pleased to say the least.

https://epsaddlery.com/product/88-street-combat-holster/
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice!

I've got a blue 2.75" Police Service Six that looks a lot like your Speed Six.

Mine has the same style factory grips but with a blue Tyler T-grip.  It was once the off-duty piece of now-deceased police detective of a Midwest city.

It shoots both the 158gn loads in 38 Spc. and .357 mag very well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
looks nice man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top