Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2020 6:07:14 AM EDT
Is there a GP100 spring kit that is recommended?  Something that has a noticeable improvement worth doing?  We have couple GP's, a standard 3" and a Wiley Clapp 3", that we haven't had any issues with but I was wondering if there was anything out there to make them better without sending them out for gunsmithing?

Same question for Ruger single action revolvers.  We have several ranging from a Single Six to a Blackhawk and I was wondering if swapping springs would give us any improvements?  They all currently function well but I don't know anything about whats out there, spring wise, to improve our revolvers.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Reduced power hammer and trigger springs along with carful polishing made huge improvements on all of my Ruger revolvers

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/GP-100/cID3/mID52/dID233
https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

Wolff action kits make a huge difference. I avoided it for a while because I had never disassembled a revolver but I am so glad I worked up the confidence to give it a shot. It wasn't hard at all. Just go slow and pay attention. I believe there is a video or two on YT showing how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My only additional comment is that you may need a partner to get the hammer spring assembly back together.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I guess I'll start looking into new springs.  I have a helper so plenty of extra hands.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone got a Brownells link for the best Blackhawk spring kit?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My only additional comment is that you may need a partner to get the hammer spring assembly back together.
View Quote

I clamped it up in a vise and used a fork to depress the spring
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone got a Brownells link for the best Blackhawk spring kit?
View Quote

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/GP-100/cID3/mID52/dID233
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
A set of hammer and trigger shims will also help smooth things up. Keeps both parts from dragging on the frame and messing with the feel.

The Ruger single actions are stupid easy to work on.
Get a super fine and flat stone and POLISH the contact surfaces between the trigger and the hammer. You don't want to change the angle or round them off but smoothing them up a bit really helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top