Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2018 11:56:50 PM EDT
Anyone have one of the older Ruger MKII government target pistols? Opinions? Likes?

Also how does this model differ from the standard MKII target?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the older ones, it was exceptionally accurate, it was very finicky on ammo as it would jam on most brands of ammo with the exception of cci and Remington hi velocity.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a laser, a little on the heavy side for a .22, and it took some time to find an ammo that worked reliably at first.  I had mine worked over in the early 2000's to get it to feed pretty much any ammo.  It goes to the range whenever I do, and the only thing left to do on it is get it threaded, with a concealed thread protector.  My only complaint is that the blued finish gets etched by my sweat...
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the stainless model with a Burris 2x scope.

20ga shotgun hulls all day from a rest @ 100yrds go flying around

Heavy but extremely accurate,mine's not picky on ammo though some is a good bit more accurate than others.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A little heavy for a plinker but fine for a target model. Mine shoots very good with CCI SV, even better with top quality ammo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a stainless Gov target and like everything about it. I'm a little biased though. I really like mkii's in general.  All the Gov targets came with a test target. If you can get one with its original box and target it has a little collector value. Not big money by any means, but a premium over the majority of other mkii's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
How does the MKII compare to the newer rugers? Mk3/4 22/45?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Was shooting 12 gauge hulls with mine yesterday at about 35 yards offhand. It is my absolute favorite gun.

IMO the MkII is the pinnacle of Ruger Mk series handgun development. The MkIII is loaded with safety features (mag safety, loaded chamber indicator) that further complicate an already funky disassembly/reassembly procedure.

The MkIV has a hinged upper and lower to make takedown and reassembly easier, but don't bring anything to the table performance wise over a MkII, though some folks say the triggers are better in the MkIV as well. If you want a brand new gun you won't lose anything by going with a MkIV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Not much different.

Govt Model has a longer heavy bbl.

Accurate as always but trigger job and good grips make them much easier to shoot accurately. Rear sight is adequate but a Bomar sight set is a good improvement if you plan to shoot irons.

Last series or two Of MkII GM's were factory drilled and tapped for Ruger scope base.

Mine was good shooter, 50 shots offhand 50ft five ten shot strings slow, timed and rapid.

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
II Mk. is BEST Mk.

Seriously, the Mk.II (any configuration) wins best in show.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much different.

Govt Model has a longer heavy bbl.

Accurate as always but trigger job and good grips make them much easier to shoot accurately. Rear sight is adequate but a Bomar sight set is a good improvement if you plan to shoot irons.

Last series or two Of MkII GM's were factory drilled and tapped for Ruger scope base.

Mine was good shooter, 50 shots offhand 50ft five ten shot strings slow, timed and rapid.

https://i.imgur.com/uS3xRp6.jpg
View Quote
Speaking of good grips, what kind are those? I might just need a set.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Clark's

Not sure if they make them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does the MKII compare to the newer rugers? Mk3/4 22/45?
View Quote
Completely different animal.

The take down between a Mk ll and Mk lll will be similar but the grip angle and weight and balance will be completely different between the all steel Mk ll and the 22/45s of any Mk.

I bought my Mk ll Gov't Target Model in 1987 and it's been laser beam accurate, as some one else said,  but mine does anything l feed it.  And it shoots it all well. It'll make anyone look good. Give it ammo it likes and it's scary accurate.

The biggest difference between the Gov't and the standard Target models is the extra 1.5" of barrel length.  The standard will have a more neutral balance to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
my MkII Government is a 1992 model and shoots fantastically well. It is well balanced and with good ammo will outshoot the shooter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had one of the older ones, it was exceptionally accurate, it was very finicky on ammo as it would jam on most brands of ammo with the exception of cci and Remington hi velocity.
View Quote
I just bought a used one. Is the older one any different than newer Mark II's? What is the cutoff point between "old" and "new"? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just bought a used one. Is the older one any different than newer Mark II's? What is the cutoff point between "old" and "new"? Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats on the "new" pistol!  And welcome to the site.

There are no newer and older Marks.  When Ruger introduced a new Mark they dropped all production of the previous.  And they never really updated the various Marks during the production run.

So without going back and reviewing all that's been said,  and especially what p-j was talking about, l don't know what he was referring to.

On review it might be -  the Mark ll was made for many years, ~25 or so?, and maybe he's referring to one made early on?

I bought mine in August 1987, is a 210- prefix series and is a very early early pistol.  It's been so flawless l would use it for self defense if a .22 pistol were my only option. My hesitation is the caliber not my pistol.

.22 rimfires, pistol or rifle,  can be very finicky able what ammo they like.  Stop find something your gun likes and stick with that.  CCI Mini-Mags and Standard Velocity are always a GPS place to start.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I had one in the 90's and absolutely stupidly let it go on a trade with something I can't even remember.

I would love to have one again.  It was a wonderful pistol.

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The wiki page on the Ruger standard is really comprehensive:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Standard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top