Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2018 10:50:56 PM EDT
This was an online purchase that I picked it up from my FFL a couple of days ago. I have shot 150 rounds of my 180gr XTP / Blue Dot reloads through it and it was flawless. I added the checkered grip panels after the fact...

Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
So want one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
That's really nice! Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice! Would love to own one myself.
Just like that one,perfect bbl length.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Now you just need another cylinder in 38 WCF/38-40

aka Ruger Buckeye model

CD
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Are there spring loaded nubs to hold the rimless case? Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I know I like to poo-poo things...but personally, this one isn't for me. I have a short barrel S.Blackhawk on my short to-buy list...and I'll stick with 44 magnum. That lets me go special or magnum and I'd rather have 44 mag than 10mm.

Neat pistol though...just not my bag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfection.  I bet it is a flame thrower with the 10MM.

Brownells or Wolf spring kit will make it much nicer, if that isn't already installed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
In a single action pistol using a semi auto round, the case headspaces on the groove cut in the cylinder in the same manner it would headspace in an semi auto pistol barrel. You have to eject each round from the cylinder by hand one at a time. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag with a 9mm cylinder and it works in the same manner...
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know I like to poo-poo things...but personally, this one isn't for me. I have a short barrel S.Blackhawk on my short to-buy list...and I'll stick with 44 magnum. That lets me go special or magnum and I'd rather have 44 mag than 10mm.

Neat pistol though...just not my bag.
View Quote
In my opinion the 10MM Blackhawk is what it is. It is a small bore (non magnum) pistol and cannot compete with its large bore and magnum brothers.  It could be a woods gun, but I feel that there are better options for that. If you do not reload, the 10MM is probably not for you. The cost of ammo would prevent most from shooting it on a regular basis. Since I do reload, it is perfect for me. Other than the brass, it uses common components (powder, primers, and bullets) and dies that I already have on hand for reloading other pistol calibers.

This is not my only 10MM pistol, but it is a great addition to the family… I do not have to worry about picking up my brass that has been scattered all over by my semi autos and I do not have to mess with loading and unloading moon clips as I have to do with my other 10MM revolver. I am a 10MM fan for my own reasons and it works for me…
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In a single action pistol using a semi auto round, the case headspaces on the groove cut in the cylinder in the same manner it would headspace in an semi auto pistol barrel. You have to eject each round from the cylinder by hand one at a time. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag with a 9mm cylinder and it works in the same manner...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So do you have a separate cylinder for 40s&w then if it head spaces off the case mouth?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In my opinion the 10MM Blackhawk is what it is. It is a small bore (non magnum) pistol and cannot compete with its large bore and magnum brothers.  It could be a woods gun, but I feel that there are better options for that. If you do not reload, the 10MM is probably not for you. The cost of ammo would prevent most from shooting it on a regular basis. Since I do reload, it is perfect for me. Other than the brass, it uses common components (powder, primers, and bullets) and dies that I already have on hand for reloading other pistol calibers.

This is not my only 10MM pistol, but it is a great addition to the family… I do not have to worry about picking up my brass that has been scattered all over by my semi autos and I do not have to mess with loading and unloading moon clips as I have to do with my other 10MM revolver. I am a 10MM fan for my own reasons and it works for me…
View Quote
I'll say that the 10mm is a round that I'm not entirely sure why it was so heavily ignored from manufacturers throughout the 90's and 2000's. Everyone went all ga-ga for .40 S&W I guess, who knows. I spent plenty of time with my dad's Colt Delta Elite way back when, I always like the 10mm.

Either way, it's clear the 10mm is the new/old hot ticket at the moment, all kinds of new firearms are hitting the market in that round.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I am struggling to see the point of a 10mm single action revolver.  Side gate loading precludes the biggest reason to chamber a revolver in a rimless cartridge, moonclips**.  Yet this silly 10mm Blackhawk revolver can't use moonclips at all.  Two cylinders just to shoot 40S&W and 10mm in the same revolver because it's a single action with side gate loading and thus has to head space off the case mouth.  41 Rem Mag makes a lot more sense in that revolver than 10mm.  More power and has a rim that would work better for a single action head spacing on the rim and can shoot 41 Mag and 41 Special in the same cylinder.

If you really want 10mm in a Revolver get a S&W 610 or have a GP100 converted at least then it could use moonclips and shoot 40S&W in the same cylinder.  YMMV

**  Sure you can run moonclips with many rimmed cartridges but the moonclip for rimmed cartridge are not nearly as robust and tolerant of brass manufacture as the moonclips for rimless cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry but I don't get the 10mm, for big bang I'd rather use 45acp or 44mag, for plinking its 9mm and 38spl. Lots of brass and options for bullets.
It's a very nice revolver, can't go wrong with a Ruger.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one since I love .40 S&W and 10mm Auto.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
If your a shooter and have other pistols that fire the .40/10mm, then the Blackhawk fills the niche of having a wheel gun to shoot the same rounds and not have to pick up the brass.  Ballistically the .41mag is hard to beat but that is even more of an oddball niche as .44 and .45Colt overpowers that for argument sake...  (The two cylinders is to extract the most accuracy of each cartridge by eliminating extra freebore between the case mouth and cylinder throat.)  Also, the extra expenses of moon clips aren't required with this, so more shooting as long as your not in a hurry...

I have two .40 bottom feeders and have been eyeballing this revolver.  The S&W 610's are discontinued and priced for much more than this Ruger goes for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the 6.5" Blackhawk 10mm/ .40 S&W on layaway, plan on picking it up next month.  All I shoot is .40 and 10mm so it fits the bill perfectly, although I would like to see Ruger come out with a 10mm/.40 S&W GP100.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just looking at the 6.5" version at the LGS today. If it wasn't so busy, I probably would have bought it. As it was, I was looking at an hour wait just to talk to a salesman.

But that's okay. I keep telling myself I don't need one of these. I just want it because it would be fun.

As for the power argument, I already have a Blckhawk in .45Colt/.45ACP. Plus other magnum revolvers. I just like the caliber. I already have a good supply of 10mm brass, and 5-gallon buckets full of .40 brass.

It's on the "because I can" list. To those who don't care for it, that's okay too. Shoot what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I pick mine up from my FFl tomorrow,i am pumped!
Got the 4 5/8 " that i wanted too.
Will be my third 10mm,that and my .41Mag Blackhawk will
have my S.A. itch scratched.
Will order dies for it.My Witness 10mm's sling the brass 30 ft.

Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
  .44 mag and .357 mag

Link Posted: 4/3/2018 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
To the naysayers, nobody buys a single action revolver for it's speed of reloading.  They harken back to an era when things were simpler and life was lived at a slower pace.  I own many "faster to reload" swing out cylinder revolvers, but then speedloaders or full and/or half moon clips are required.  That is more complex than single action handguns, and adds the additional possibility of issues with headspace and prying cases from the clips.  To each his own.

Paladin

eta: I did feel very smug when my 44 Special S&W 24-3 would throw 180 jhp's at 1000 fps, more or less 40 S&W territory...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top