Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2019 3:25:37 PM EDT
When i started making my own .300 BLK it peaked my interest in the Rock Island 1911 .22 TCM.  Is there any practical use for this round or is it just a really loud plinker.  It does come with a 9mm barrel and mag so the gun has some practical use.

Does anyone have any experience with this pistol?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for comments, have came close to buying one a couple times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No real info to give, but shot a friend's and loved it. Wish it was more popular and could convert my Scorpion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure if I shot one I would be hooked.  They are supposed to have a very light recoil for such a loud bang.  $900 is pretty steep even if it can convert to 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the combo, I paid LGS Model 51687 for $565 + tax

The 22TMC barrel had extract issues, which is common. RIA took care of it and replaced barrel, now it runs great.
The gun is a tank, all steel double stack. So there is no recoil. It's fun to shoot. My teenage son likes to shoot it.

When I first had issues with the 22TMC barrel I put the 9mm barrel in. It worked fine but the only real reason for it is if 22TMC ammo fades away.
If I had it to do over I would probably not buy the combo and just get the 22TMC.

ETA: I googled that model # that I have.
Budsgunshop
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one.  My plan was to mainly use the 9mm barrel but I've shot 22 TCM out of it a bit.

I'm not sure if 22 TCM is good for much.  Maybe if you had a deaf relative who can't handle recoil but still wants a handgun around.   The recoil is considerably less than even 9mm, about up there with a .22 WM.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the combo, I paid LGS Model 51687 for $565 + tax

The 22TMC barrel had extract issues, which is common. RIA took care of it and replaced barrel, now it runs great.
The gun is a tank, all steel double stack. So there is no recoil. It's fun to shoot. My teenage son likes to shoot it.

When I first had issues with the 22TMC barrel I put the 9mm barrel in. It worked fine but the only real reason for it is if 22TMC ammo fades away.
If I had it to do over I would probably not buy the combo and just get the 22TMC.

ETA: I googled that model # that I have.
Budsgunshop
View Quote
Went to look and the MAPP now comes in 22TCM

Tanfoglio or equivalent MAPP
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The full rail double stack has tempted me many times. A while back the ammo was on sale and I almost jumped. They can be had for considerably less than $900.

Quoted:
I've got one.  My plan was to mainly use the 9mm barrel but I've shot 22 TCM out of it a bit.

I'm not sure if 22 TCM is good for much.  Maybe if you had a deaf relative who can't handle recoil but still wants a handgun around.   The recoil is considerably less than even 9mm, about up there with a .22 WM.
View Quote
lol that’s awesome. I figured one would be great for popping varmints. I felt the same about the five seven but never bought one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#8]
A word of caution.
Armscor now sells two flavors of ammo, 22TCM and 22TCM9R.
The 9R is for conversions, it absolutely will not feed in my RIA pistol. RIA originally said it would work but later recanted that. The original statement  was still on their website and often used in ammo ads. I thought I was safe buying either.
I bought a case of the 9R (from a 3rd party vendor) and complained to RIA when it didn't work. it tooks some bitching, showing they still have the old info on their site but they agreed to take it all and swap me for regular 22TCM.
Some ammo vendors don't identify what flavor they are selling or unaware there is a difference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, so what is the difference and what exactly causes it to "not work."  If I were to buy one, I would make my own ammo from cut down .223 range brass just like .300 BLK.  Would that be considered TCM or TCM9R?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The 9R is loaded to a shorter oal so it can fit in a glock or similar sized pistol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Projectile different, would not feed, blunt front would jam every round.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears the bullet is shorter and the case is slightly longer on the 9R.  The pistol I was looking at is chambered in 9R and they don't appear to make a single stack 22 TCM in the style I want.  Also the 9R bullets are hard to find where the TCM 40 grn is abundant and pretty cheap.  Hope i can find someone that has one so I can maybe try it out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It appears the bullet is shorter and the case is slightly longer on the 9R.  The pistol I was looking at is chambered in 9R and they don't appear to make a single stack 22 TCM in the style I want.  Also the 9R bullets are hard to find where the TCM 40 grn is abundant and pretty cheap.  Hope i can find someone that has one so I can maybe try it out.
View Quote
Where are you getting the case length info? That seems like a horrible idea to have different length cases.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Guess I'm just lucky. Paid $400 for my used 22TCM double stack with both barrels and it feeds both types of 22 TCM ammo just fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When i started making my own .300 BLK it peaked my interest in the Rock Island 1911 .22 TCM.  Is there any practical use for this round or is it just a really loud plinker.  It does come with a 9mm barrel and mag so the gun has some practical use.

Does anyone have any experience with this pistol?
View Quote
I thought it and the ammo was Unobtanium. An urban legend. Or a Unicorn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
RIA has been on both sides of the fence if the 1911 will feed 9R, on mine the blunt bullet jammed on the bottom edge of the feed ramp. They swapped me ammo so I didn't look father into it and make sure now what I buy.

I typically pay .40 / round for 22TCM delivered so it's not cheap but not terrible. I wouldn't shoot it a lot at that price.

Although it is loud it's a different kind of loud than say a SBR 30 cal, I don't like really loud stuff and I think 22TCM is fine with normal ear pro. I probably wouldn't bother trying to suppress it.

If you just get the basic pistol it's an affordable tank that is fun and RIA has good customer service.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where are you getting the case length info? That seems like a horrible idea to have different length cases.
View Quote
I thought it was the bullet length was the difference, not the case?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too. I though the short stubby bullet was all that was needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
My son has one and it's a lot of fun. Practical? Couldn't say but the 9mm side of it is sure practical.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just going by the picture of the two rounds side by side.  The 9R case looks a little longer but it could just be the camera angle.  I haven't actually seen any load data on this round yet.  I usualy buy Lee dies and they have a set but it doesn't come with any load data.  That's weird because this round has been around for a while now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top