Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
I was given a Charter Arms "Pink Lady" revolver. Although I'm more than man enough to own a pink firearm (I'm actually flexing as I write this), I was trying to think of a way to make it... Not pink. The frame is some sort of an aluminum alloy and I tried Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black but it didn't work. I guess the color is painted on instead of anodized (unless it IS anodized and the product needs bare aluminum to work). Any ideas on how to remove the color and bring it down to the bare aluminum? Taking it in to get Cerakoted will cost more than I want to spend on this...
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The cost to "refinish" most any firearm is never going to be recovered in value or resale value.

Sell the pink Charter Arms and buy another used one in the finish you desire , done deal .

Possible to find someone in your area (local EE?) and just do a trade?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep it pink when you have to pull it the bad guys will die laughing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably anodized.  If so, you can remove that with oven cleaner, (lye, aka sodium hydroxide, probably the cheapest way to get the small amount required).  Then, you can have it re-anodized with the color of your choice.  Or electroless nickel.
Though this makes no economic sense whatsoever, especially if you pay for the work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going with that's anodized color from this link.  It doesn't say in specs but it really looks like lightly blasted AL thats been anodized.

https://charterfirearms.com/products/53830-pink-lady-undercover-lite-pink-stainless-standard
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
There's actually something to that. If I ever had to use it, I definitely wouldn't look like I was going around wanting a fight ..
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
Probably anodized.  If so, you can remove that with oven cleaner, (lye, aka sodium hydroxide, probably the cheapest way to get the small amount required).  Then, you can have it re-anodized with the color of your choice.  Or electroless nickel.
Though this makes no economic sense whatsoever, especially if you pay for the work.
View Quote

I wonder if I can remove the anodization with lye and once it's down to the bare aluminum, try to hit it with the Birchwood Casey
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nhsport:
The cost to "refinish" most any firearm is never going to be recovered in value or resale value.

Sell the pink Charter Arms and buy another used one in the finish you desire , done deal .

Possible to find someone in your area (local EE?) and just do a trade?
View Quote

That'd be the easiest option I suppose. I do like the revolver though.. it's like 9oz. Maybe I can draw a Punisher skull on it to help balance things out
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:38:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: agriebel] [#8]
cerakote or norells molycoat it, right over the top of the pink.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's what can be done with DuraCoat. This green isn't as vibrant as the photo seems, it's more of an olive (CADPAT Light Green). They have lots of color options and it cures relatively quick because of the built-in hardener, but it also means you're not going to be able to touch it up later.

I've also had good luck with Brownell's Alumahyde, far fewer options and a LONG cure time, but also very inexpensive.

Note that both of these are considerably thicker than Cerakote, so can add thickness in places you don't want it. It rubs off of the slide bars on these shotguns over time.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:23:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Philmore] [#10]
I would keep it and put a little hello kitty sticker on it.  

Rock it as it is.  If you drop it you can find it easier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag for updates
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top