Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2018 3:46:36 PM EDT
Has anyone ever removed the import mark on the slide of a Bulgarian makarov? I have one with a CAI import billboard on the slide. It is the typical dot matrix import stamp. I was thinking about wet sanding the slide until it was gone and then rebluing it. I’m not sure if it is worth trying.

For those tinfoil hat guys out there, this is perfectly legal to do. The import mark is only put on for importation purposes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What I've done over the years is simply hit the import stamp with some touch up blue.  I generally use Brownell's Oxpho Blue.  It doesn't eliminate the stamp but does tone it down considerably.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, I think you'll just make it look worse. As it stands now, you have a Cold War relic in original condition with the requisite import mark that is ugly but was required for importation. It is what it is.

Once you start sanding you will have a gun that has been fucked with and refinished. I am not sure that is an "improvement"

Maybe, if you are really good and can make it look seamless, but that is a lot of material to remove to fully obliterate the import mark and I'll bet it will be quite noticeable.

As always, it is your property, do what you want with it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By xoldsmugglerx:
Has anyone ever removed the import mark on the slide of a Bulgarian makarov? I have one with a CAI import billboard on the slide. It is the typical dot matrix import stamp. I was thinking about wet sanding the slide until it was gone and then rebluing it. I’m not sure if it is worth trying.

For those tinfoil hat guys out there, this is perfectly legal to do. The import mark is only put on for importation purposes.
View Quote
Check state law before proceeding.

Where I live it's a crime to deface or alter any manufacturer, import, or number on a firearm. It's also a crime to possess or transfer such a firearm in my state whether you knew about the alterations or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top