Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2022 11:37:42 AM EDT
I’ve got a small spot on the very end of the slide of an HK US P 45. What’s the recommended way to remove and prevent this rust from spreading and becoming a bigger problem?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad said he had luck removing light rust from blued steel using a pink pearl eraser. It's the same eraser as is found on a pencil.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Apply light oil.  Gently polish with 0000 or finer steel wool.

Don't store the gun in a holster and keep the outside oiled.

View Quote

great suggestion. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Apply a heavy coat of CLP Breakfree or better, Kroil and let soak a day or two.
This will soften and loosen the rust.

Then apply more and use a brass toothbrush to "scrub" the area.
A "Big 45" pad is said to work great.  People swear by the Big 45 for removing rust but not bluing.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

DO NOT use a "copper" coin.  These are no longer copper and will scratch.
Use 0000 steel wool at your own risk, but I've see a lot of guns with damage caused by using it dry or too hard.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Apply a heavy coat of CLP Breakfree or better, Kroil and let soak a day or two.
This will soften and loosen the rust.

Then apply more and use a brass toothbrush to "scrub" the area.
A "Big 45" pad is said to work great.  People swear by the Big 45 for removing rust but not bluing.

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

DO NOT use a "copper" coin.  These are no longer copper and will scratch.
Use 0000 steel wool at your own risk, but I've see a lot of guns with damage caused by using it dry or too hard.
View Quote

Pre 82 pennies.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Apply light oil.  Gently polish with 0000 or finer steel wool.

Don't store the gun in a holster and keep the outside oiled.

View Quote

Worked every time I've used it.

Once you wipe it off with the oily cloth after touching/cleaning - do not touch it with your bare skin again while putting it away till the next time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If he has to touch this spot up, what product best matches the HK finish?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
A copper penny or Copper wool. The copper wool is not cheep but they have it on Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks guys I’ll try this
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Boil it in water. Check out Mark Novak’s videos on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Bronze wool and Kroil work great to remove rust without damaging the finish.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Pencil "lead" is something like clay and graphite.
Works well without damage.
Oil for prevention.
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Boil it in water. Check out Mark Novak’s videos on YouTube.
View Quote

That! If you just put oil on it you preserve the brown rust and it will spread as soon as it sees humidity.
If you use steel or copper wool it will leave tiny seeds of brown rust back that will do the same.
Boiling with prior degreasing (oil removal) will turn the brown rust into black rust which is defective blueing.
Removing brown rust also will leave pits where it was sitting since it drills down into and along the grain boundaries. Converting it into black rust shrinks the volume and it settles.
Use a water displacement (WD40 or better kerosine) and then dry it. Apply oil and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#14]
If it bothers him that much. Get it refinished. I have a beretta 71 that I got a few years ago. Its has very light rust pitted on the barrel. I keep it oiled and it hasn’t gotten worse.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Another recommendation for the frontier big 45 pad.
I have one and love it!
Every time I buy a used gun with spots of rust, the big 45 takes care of it with no issues.
I have yet to cause any damage to any bluing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Immerse in boiling water for a couple minutes to change rust to magnetite, which is what bluing is.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:12:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmoryMarine] [#17]
Wet/ soak it with Kroil then hit the rust with a soft bristled tooth or AP brush.
If the toothbrush doesn't rid the rust to your likings do the 0000 steel wool keeping it wet with Kroil.
Boiling works too but remember if any water is left in the nooks and crannies rust can form.
Dissasembly before a boil helps  to get every area of the slide dried. The bigger deal is soaking (best) or saturating the slide
With oil immediately after drying is key to preventing any more rust. Then give it rub wipe with a silicone impregnated cloth
after you handle it  and before you put it away.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Fifteen years ago a customer told me about Miracle Cloth.
I've never used bronze wool since.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]
The best cheap tool i found for removing minor rust and hard to reach grime and corrosion are Bamboo BBQ skewers. You can use the pointed end to clean out hard to reach areas and if you break it in half the bristles on the end can be used to scrub out rust pits . I use kroil oil for the rust. I have used this technique several times on older blued pistols and the Bamboo does not scratch the finish. Steel wool is too harsh and cannot pin point the rust like the fine tip of the Bamboo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.evapo-rust.com/

I've had good luck with 0000 steel wool and CLP also as stated above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top