Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 3:42:10 PM EDT
I somehow accidentally bought a CBOB instead of a VBOB when what I truly wanted was a regular full size. Long story (but I need new glasses and it was just labeled “valor”. It even says VBOB Commander, whereas I thought all valor commanders were CBOBs.

** I wanted a full size for reduced recoil AND I always hear that 5” is the way to go for more guaranteed 100% reliability.
What is the recoil and reliability difference like these days?

(This is their black coated one and unfired.)
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
When I owned multiple sizes of 1911 i had lightweight commanders, 4" bull barrel, and 5" traditional guns with steel frames.
When I had the change to shoot a full steel commander side-by-side with a 5" government model, I was hard pressed to tell the difference at the time with my shooting skill.
My lightweight commander however was noticeably sharper in recoil, but still very shootable.
If it's the difference between a full steel commander and a full steel government model I think you'll probably be ok.
I personally dislike bobbed 1911s, or round butts, or whatever you want to call them. BUT, if you're going to have one on any 1911 I think it's a commander sized gun. About 3 ozs difference compared to the fullsize gun and it clears the holster a little quicker with the shorter muzzle length.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There is an increase in felt recoil but it is not a whole lot over a full size. The Cbob is not a Valor like pistol tho it is the classic line. Same quality just an older model. The Black I believe are duty Coat not Duty treatment also. CBob stands for Classic Bobtail Vbob is Valor Bobtail.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I can add that might help is that the times I've carried my full sized 1911, that rear edge of the frame is the thing that sticks out the most.   The bobbed frame makes a lot of sense in theory.  I hear some people say they don't like how it feels when shooting.  But I'm betting it's very subjective.  And yeah, if they're both steel frames, I doubt you would notice much difference in recoil.  In fact, the shorter barrel will have less FPS and may affect it for the better.  But I don't think I've ever shot a 4.25"er.......    I think I've only shot 5"ers......
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a few bobbed Commander 45s and they're snappier than a 5", but the bobtail squirms around in my hands more than a full framed Commander.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, this is a Black VBOB commander.
I'm HOPING it's the tough black coat I've heard so much about, but I worry it isn't--it's unfired, but I see a small spot of finish worn off near the front on the slide (from a few times in a hard leather holster I presume). If I keep it, it won't really matter, as I like my guns to look worn.

I think I'll shoot it, and either keep it or put it up for trade for a Government in black (surely someone will want this gun since it should be great to carry--I just won't be carrying it that much).
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The weight is so close it's just as easy carry a 5" IMO.  Unless you're trying aiwb.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a pretty squat guy--5'10", but my darn inseam is like 28".

I have T-rex syndrome (stubby arms and legs), so I have no idea if the .75" would matter. I doubt it.

I DO like the bob-tail...I'd be fine with a full-size regular or bob-tail, but I think the latter definitely reduces the grip digging into me. I like the smaller bobs, like with Wilson Combats, as well...where it's just the corner.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
What year was the gun made any Black Vbob made after 2011 will be the newer Duty treatment. Previous tobthat they were cerokote/Duty Coat. All DW amaze 2013 up the first 2 digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Hrmmm.  Serial number VB672xx.  Test case date is 10/29/10...so this WAS before the new duty coat. Still looks new though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The Wessons already come with a small radius firing pin stop, a 20lb recoil, and a 23lb main in the bobbed Commander.  It should run fine with full boogie 45.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the CBOB Classic stainless and honestly, the recoil felt the same as my full size A2. I should have held on to that one.

Link Posted: 3/11/2018 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The weight difference is 2-3 ounces.  Can you tell the recoil difference between the 1st shot and the 4th?  Me neither.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top