Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2024 9:39:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane]
I recently acquired a German  sig P228 for a remarkable price.  It’s sort of a grail pistol for me.

It’s been cerakoted, which isn’t great, but at least it was well done. Mechanically, it’s tip top.

My big issue… the grips are P229 grips (big “P229” on them), which is a little annoying.

Question: is there a source for real “P228”-marked grips? I’ve searched a little online with no luck.

If not, what is a good choice?  I guess with the coating, it’s probably pointless to be too purist about it.

What say the Sig nerds of ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#1]
If you really want to put a set of P228 marked grips on it, there are a few pair on ebay. Here is one of them.

If it no longer looks original, there is nothing wrong with putting a set of new black G20 grips.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Be advised SIG changed the design of the trigger bar spring, but idk what year this occurred (maybe early 2000s?) so an original P228 grip may not fit over the modern spring unless relieved to do so.

If I'm not mistaken this design change applied to both the P226 and P228.

https://www.realgunreviews.com/why-you-cant-use-original-west-german-p226-grips-with-a-looped-trigger-bar-spring/
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You can purchase brand-new E2 grips
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't find any old style P-220 grips, so I went with Hogue G-10.  They look close to the factory grips and are extremely durable.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You might go over to SIG Talk forum or SIG Forum and have a look at their marketplaces.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
There are currently at least 5 pair of p228 logo factory 1990’s era grips on the first page on eBay. One seller has like three different pairs for sale.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mpddoug162:
There are currently at least 5 pair of p228 logo factory 1990’s era grips on the first page on eBay. One seller has like three different pairs for sale.
View Quote

I didn’t look at eBay, stupidly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

View Quote

I provided a link to a set of these in my earlier post. Take a look.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#9]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

I already have a set ordered…

Thanks.

I still might put different grips on it eventually, but the fact that the grips on my 228 say “229” irritates me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:

I have the opposite problem. I have p228 grips on my p229.  

https://i.imgur.com/JK6robm.jpg

It's an M11-A1 that came with those grips, but I swapped out the slide with the newer optic cut P229 slide, so she's having a bit of an identity crisis.
View Quote

LOL I’ll send you my 229 grips if you want them…
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Not mine, but IMO a good deal on some NOS grips at this link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176311945950

These are the newer grips which work with the updated trigger bar spring as referenced in the link posted by KitBuilder. The article and the picture references P226 grips but the P228 is the same. Note the difference on the inside of the right grip with the older grips.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:26:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#13]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Be advised SIG changed the design of the trigger bar spring, but idk what year this occurred (maybe early 2000s?) so an original P228 grip may not fit over the modern spring unless relieved to do so.

If I'm not mistaken this design change applied to both the P226 and P228.

https://www.realgunreviews.com/why-you-cant-use-original-west-german-p226-grips-with-a-looped-trigger-bar-spring/
View Quote

My P228 is from circa 1993. You have to swap out the upgraded trigger bar for the E2 grips. While it does kind of disrupt the original looks, I much prefer the E2 gips.

If you have the older trigger bar, I'll dig around this weekend to see if I can find the old P228 grips if you want them OP...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If I understand correctly, the old (bent) spring will work with newer grips (if you remove a little plastic near the bottom on that side, but the newer coiled spring is a no-no with the old grips - is this correct?

I have the older, “bow” spring.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If I understand correctly, the old (bent) spring will work with newer grips (if you remove a little plastic near the bottom on that side, but the newer coiled spring is a no-no with the old grips - is this correct?

I have the older, "bow" spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have the older, "bow" spring.
I think that's all correct.
I know firsthand you cannot use the newer coiled spring with the old grip. I got the spring first and then was like "D'oh!"

Originally Posted By ROCK6:
My P228 is from circa 1993. You have to swap out the upgraded trigger bar for the E2 grips. While it does kind of disrupt the original looks, I much prefer the E2 gips.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Firearms/.highres/P228.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v440/ROCK-6/P228.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds

If you have the older trigger bar, I'll dig around this weekend to see if I can find the old P228 grips if you want them OP...

ROCK6
I didn't have to change my trigger bar, but I didn't want the E2 grips either, so all I needed was the new spring and a new set of standard P226 grips. My P226 that suffered the broken spring is West German, and originally shipped with the checkered grips. The original/early spring failed while we were doing firearms training at the police academy in 2011 (much to my dismay lol). I was then handed a Glock.

My understanding is that the E2 stuff came out later, 2010 I think, and I guess that's why you needed a new trigger bar, but I'm not familiar with all the E2 and SRT parts differences since I never adopted either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top