Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 10:01:35 AM EDT
I noticed when shopping for a replacement 9mm bbl for my Springfield Nowlin ramped .38 super that there were several other types noted. Even though my bbl is marked Nowlin, the dealer I got mine from wanted detailed pics of the existing super bbl, and inside of the frame.

I saw a closeup of the RIA and it has a "bump or hump" on the rear face (the area that mates with the frame) of the underlug and there are other makers / types like Clark, para, and in house unspecified ramped bbls. like Springfield.

What are the difference(s) between them and do any have specific advantages?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#1]
the rounded Clark/Para cut is easier to machine on a receiver not originally fitted, just a simple 3/8" (IIRC) cutter works... the Nowlin requires the frame be milled vertically as the cut is square and uses the end of the cutter that is extended for clearance

I always perceived that the Clark cut was stronger with less chance for stress cracks in the frame YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top