Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 3:55:53 PM EDT
Anyone own one of these? Are they a good, or decent at least, gun for the price?

Or should one look at Taurus or Charter Arms for a budget .38 Special?

I want it for just shooting targets, not for defense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot TearAzz's. wasn't impressed. I had a Charter UC Lite, that was OK. Sold it for some reason and moved on.

The RIA I saw for $175 new at the local jewelers, but never went back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a smith guy but have never had a lot of money in my life so I appreciate lower buck handguns that work.  So far I've heard a lot of good.  I'm pretty sure I watched a video by our resident....  oh what's his name....  And he said it wasn't too bad.  Not sure how many rounds he put through it.

The guy with the shaved head....  What's his youtube name?  You know.... mrgunsngear

Anyways..  I've heard a few other good reports from people that own them.  To me the general consensus has been that they work ,the triggers are better than you'd think they'd be on a lower dollar revolver, but of course the fit and finish is congruent with a lower dollar gun.  Machine marks, rough edges, etc.  That seems obvious.

I'm not sure I've seen a torture test...  Or endurance test....

Rock Island Armory M206 38 Special Revolver From Armscor Review (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrY9r4XxKt4&t=408s
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I want one.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd probably pay twice as much and get one of those ugly ass French trade in Model 10's from Bud's instead...
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Budget revolvers.  Try Rossi revolvers.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You can often find Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 specials in great condition for $250 to $275 online. I assume many of these are former police/security personnel weapons. I'd probably opt for one of those if I wanted a good revolver, rather than paying nearly as much for an unknown quantity.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My father picked up a used m200 snubnose at a gun show for $100 years ago. He liked it so much he ordered a brand new 4” for $150 about two years ago.

The new trigger was pretty gritty but the snubbie was better so I’d assume it will break in. A parkerized copy of the Colt Detective, his snubbie has detective grips. I prefer the 4”, better grips and a good shooter. I’d read the 2” barrels get imported as 4” and cut down stateside. They are comparable weight & size wise to a medium frame S&W so heavy for CC compared to a Charter Arms undercover.

Now if you can find a used model 10 for $250 buy it. But those old French trade ins went fast, a mod. 10 with a good bore fetches a lot more than that around here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Now if you can find a used model 10 for $250 buy it. But those old French trade ins went fast, a mod. 10 with a good bore fetches a lot more than that around here.
View Quote
I believe Buds still has em for $269 shipped
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ugh.  I should get one.....  Don't really NEED one though.   And money is vaporware right now.  Well, it's all spoken for.  hehehehe
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got one of the snubs.  It's heavy and ugly, but it goes bang every time and hits where it's aimed at.  Not rated for +P, but it can do it if needed and if you don't want to do that, Buffalo Bore makes some good lower pressure bullets.  I kept it as a truck gun for a few years in the door pocket of my Tundra.  I called it my "Hills Have Eyes" gun since pretty much every horror movie would be about five minutes long if the main character had a similar setup.

I've since passed it on to my brother, but I'd pick up any of them in a heartbeat.

Truck gun holster

Revolver

Innards

Roll mark and finish

Barrel

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#11]
@Aimless to the white courtesy phone please.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of RIA 1911s and I wouldnt buy one of these for half price. They are just horrible looking to me. Buy a Taurus 38. Look at the hammers on them, the angle compared to all the others.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the point of comparing the quality of a revolver that costs less than $200 to those that cost significantly more? You buy a $190 revolver, that's exactly what you get! They're not supposed to be refined and polished, only functional.

ETA- The M200 manual says nothing about not using +P loads, rather states: The M200 REVOLVER is chambered for Cal.38 Special cartridges manufactured in accordance
with standard industry practice.
Which implies +P factory ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one, and it's pretty decent.  It's a $200 .38 revolver that goes bang every time.  If you have realistic expectations, then you won't be let down.  Mine shoots a little high at 7 yards, but it still puts shots in the center of mass.  It's a good piece to hand to inexperienced shooters, stash somewhere, or put in a bug out bag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The Rossis were generally good guns, very good for what they cost.  I wish I still had the snub nosed Rossi I once owned.

The RIA guns are pretty crude but they do kill a fair number of people with them in the Philippines.  It's very common to see them in the holsters of security guards over there along with usually six additional round nosed bullets on their belts.  The guns are generally poorly cared for and often somewhat rusty but they still go bang.  If I found one cheap and had the xcash in my pocket I'd probably buy one just because.  It's not a gun I would actively seek out and purchase if I was looking for a primary self defense gun and on a budget, I'd look for a used S&W, Ruger, etc.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Taurus M85 5RD 38SP +P 2" stainless for $230 its like comparing a Colt to the RIA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Very crude up close.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Ugh, a brass screw and some valve lapping compound will polish that.  Budget tools for a budget gun. Midway USA has a video of Larry doing it on a .22 and there are others as well.

ETA- I can't find the Midway video at the moment but here's another:
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Barrel is also crooked
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh, a brass screw and some valve lapping compound will polish that.  Budget tools for a budget gun. Midway USA has a video of Larry doing it on a .22 and there are others as well.

ETA- I can't find the Midway video at the moment but here's another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y9fr-3Wy5M
Barrel is also crooked
Ha, didn't even notice that.  I'd have sent it back but I guess you could make a frame wrench and adjust it?  Just thinking out loud here.  Last night I was actually watching some of the MosinVirus videos where he's working on an old Colt 1917 and made some of his own tools to remove the barrel so he could cut it to set it back and reduce cylinder gap.  Over the years I've bought a handful of cheaper revolvers (usually Taurus) just to mess with them for practice.  I'd be happy to take that RIA off your hands just to have one to open up but with shipping and transfer fee it wouldn't be worth it.

Best use I've found for guns like that is to load it with some 158gr SWCHPs and toss it in the tool box in the garage or sell them to co-workers who wanted something for the nightstand drawer.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Good gawd!, that right there is some nasty crown-shit going on. Hurts my eyes just looking it.

On the other hand, it's not terribly difficult to clean up a crown, at least passably so accuracy isn't diminished by a defect.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I've shot one and they are pretty decent for what they are. They are fairly accurate with a surprisingly crisp trigger. Lockup wasn't as tight as I like, but not terrible.
If you can get it in the $150-200 range, I'd go for it. Any more than $200 I'd go with a Rossi or Taurus.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I would save up a bit more and search for a K frame S&W .38.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
While I have only handlled one of these revolvers, I would trust it more than the Highpoint C9 I’ve shot.

I’d be a buyer at $75-100 if I came across a deal. Otherwise, I have to many decent guns to need to buy something like this. I had a buddy with a 6 shot Rossi snub .357 and that was a damn good little good. I know he had atleast 2500-3k trouble free rounds through it. Pretty sure he paid like $225 for it. I forget the model, but I would buy one if I could for the price he paid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top