Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2022 10:34:18 PM EDT
Saw one locally for a good price.  Locks up tight and everything looks good except one thing. There appears to be putting on the trigger and just the trigger, but it isn’t colored like rust. It really threw me off because there isn’t rust/pitting anywhere else and it makes me wonder is something else is going on. I will try to go back to the shop tomorrow and get pics (didn’t think of it at the time).  The color of the “pitting” is dark grey.

Any thoughts as to if it’s actual pitting or something else?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the pitting deep or long? I recently got a new 627-5 so I can help a little bit. Is the trigger the same color as in this picture? And which letter represents the location of pitting: a, b, or c? I'm not sure if picture will appear though since I don't have many posts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s long, not too deep. It’s mostly located on A and B.   Thanks for replying
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a ton I can say without a picture. But if it is in location A and appears to be going under the metal layer that covers the action, then it may be cause for concern. There could be pitting and erosion that is in the action that is not visible without taking the plate off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a ton I can say without a picture. But if it is in location A and appears to be going under the metal layer that covers the action, then it may be cause for concern. There could be pitting and erosion that is in the action that is not visible without taking the plate off.
View Quote

Agreed. Couldn’t make it to the shop yesterday but should be able to today. Thanks for weighing in, it’s just odd that only the trigger has potential rust.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds pretty unusual. Here's a new one I just got. Haven't even fired it yet.

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So I went today and after a closer inspection it’s absolutely rust. Right under where the trigger goes under the frame has red rust. Very disappointing and I’m not even going to consider it/take pics. They did have a pro series 627-5 that looks great for $1,000 OTD but it’s not a Performance Center.  Sorry for the disappointment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds pretty unusual. Here's a new one I just got. Haven't even fired it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/GrbNaUc.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful gun!  I’m jealous. I have the 5” model but would love a 4” or even a 2.75” to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beautiful gun!  I'm jealous. I have the 5" model but would love a 4" or even a 2.75" to go with it.
View Quote
Thanks. I also have the 2" version that recently went back to S&W with a loose barrel shroud.

What a bummer that the trigger was rusty on your gunshop find. Makes you wonder what they're made out of or how it was cared for
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I went today and after a closer inspection it’s absolutely rust. Right under where the trigger goes under the frame has red rust. Very disappointing and I’m not even going to consider it/take pics. They did have a pro series 627-5 that looks great for $1,000 OTD but it’s not a Performance Center.  Sorry for the disappointment.
View Quote

That's unfortunate to hear. I hope you find a good deal on another one. I have no idea how it can be rusted right there. I know stainless steel isn't immune to rust, but that really isn't a place that should be getting rust. I've bought a used 629 before that had minor surface rust near grips where water could accumulate, but it being on the trigger is insane.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The triggers and hammers are flash chromed carbon steel, so if something were to get under the chrome it'll definitely rust. Most everything else is stainless steel and obviously very hard to tarnish.

You could try and talk him down. Triggers are less than $100.

I like mine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top