Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2020 3:26:59 PM EDT
For those who have carried small Berettas, or maybe J frames, or lCPs (or any similar size gun) on your ankle, what was your experience like?  I get that it has limited utility, but it clearly has some utility (seated positions, driving or maybe at a work desk Etc.)  Did you maybe do it during the winter and abandon it when the weather got warm?  Any funny stories of your pants riding up or maybe having to wear certain types of pants?   I'm not saying I'm for or against but I am curious and I'd like to hear from people who have lived that life even if only for a little while.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Works best for me with a pair of work boots to keep it from sliding down. I switched to a SmartCarry holster and more gun. I wouldn't want to draw quickly from my ankle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not comfortable and made me walk funny. Plus not accessible.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve done it for years. Don’t necessarily like it but work situation dictates things like this sometimes. Small 380s are better than revolvers due to width. Dress pants and black socks hide the black holster well. If you have athletic legs something with the calf strap helps keep it where you want it. I’ve tried several holsters and can only tell you that you will just have to find one that fits you.
I get my pants a touch longer and have my wife hem them so they cover well. Most of the time if anything is seen it’s the bottom of the holster, hence socks that match to hide. When asked I just say it’s an ankle brace. That’s rare though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a 642 in Galco ankle glove and the holster was painful to the ankle bone. Replaced it with a Desantis which was much better. I never had a problem with it sliding down. I tried a P239 in a Desantis once for about 10 minutes and it was way too heavy. I tried it because I they made a holster for it. Best ankle holster combo was a Fobus with P3AT it was light, secure and never moved.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Wear on PSD maybe 3 to 6 hrs. Only back up use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
It takes 2.5 - 3 seconds to draw from an ankle holster. That’s roughly the same amount of time it takes to clear a malfunction or do a reload from concealment. With the right holster, it’s not uncomfortable. Ankle carry can open up some options on how you dress and where you can carry.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
No issue at all with a comfortable holster and proper fitting pants.  If either of these things is not perfect, people will know you have a sock gun.  

Most common time for this was weddings and funerals. Taurus 85 stainless with the smooth wood grips.  Rubber grips will make your pants hang up.

I saw a cop lose his sock gun struggling with arresting a female at San Diego Airport.  I told a judge at Sears his sock gun was hanging out.  

Do it right, or don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I did it once for about 5 minutes. Even tucked into a high boot and the right pants, my god was it unpleasant
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried a j frame as a bug in an ankle holster for a while until it started to cause pain in my ankle that stayed for a while after I stopped. Personally I won't do it again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I carried a S&W Model 15 snub on my right boot for about a decade flying worldwide.  

The holster was some cheap nylon rig that had an elastic strap that went up to a calf strap, and used velcro to attach around the ankle.  I wore it on the outside of my flight boot.  I tried wearing it on the inside of my leg and the outside, either made me walk funny, so I wore it on the front over my foot.  Very comfortable for long (9 hour sometimes) flights and walking was normal.

Clothing was always the same- nomex flight suit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've carried several different guns in Gallo Ankle Gloves. ALWAYS above a uniform boot, so more like calf carry. Never had a problem walking, or with comfort. Might not be the quickest but sometimes it's all you've got.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
LCP in a Galco ankle holster. It works.

I wouldn't try anything bigger than an LCP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve carried a couple different one (Glock 26, S&W 642 and Glock 43) starting with a cheap Uncle Mike’s nylon rig and then a Galco Ankle Glove. I found there is a fine balance between tight enough to not move around and too tight to where you cut off circulation. A low boot works well to help keep it off your ankle bone, which is uncomfortable. It takes some getting use to and feel weird at first. I’ve never had anyone notice to my knowledge. Always with either slacks or uniform pants. Originally as an on duty backup, switched due to limited accessibility. Now only on rare occasions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't expect this many responses.  Its interesting to see so many people have tried, and with different size and weight guns.  I'm going to try on a car ride with minimal walking mixed in, a 342pd j frame thats 10 ounces unloaded or a lcp.  Ill probably base it on holster availability.  The comment above about the flat profile of a small semi helping him over a j frame makes sense, but I do prefer getting the solid grip on a j frame over the compromised grip of a lcp.         I didn't see any consensus on brand or model of ankle holster, is there a gold standard to start with?
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I carried a 642 and later a G43 for many years. I’ve been in many foot chases while ankle carrying. I used to have to foot check my ankle to make sure I was wearing it. I guess it’s all what you get used to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't expect this many responses.  Its interesting to see so many people have tried, and with different size and weight guns.  I'm going to try on a car ride with minimal walking mixed in, a 342pd j frame thats 10 ounces unloaded or a lcp.  Ill probably base it on holster availability.  The comment above about the flat profile of a small semi helping him over a j frame makes sense, but I do prefer getting the solid grip on a j frame over the compromised grip of a lcp.         I didn't see any consensus on brand or model of ankle holster, is there a gold standard to start with?
View Quote

I've ankle carried for years, primarily my on-duty BUG, but also off-duty on a semi-regular basis.  I've tried a number of ankle holsters, I like the Galco Ankle Glove and the DeSantis Die Hard equally.  I think the key is the combination of the wide padded ankle strap and the holster molded to the specific gun.  I've done it with both J-frame revolvers and Glock 26/27s.  The J-frame is more comfortable due to weight and less likely to print than the square backed Glock.  The Glocks are obviously more serious firepower if you actually need to use the gun.  I switched from the J-frame to the G27 when my department adopted Glocks and my duty gun was a 23 RTF2.  

When I'm carrying concealed I sometimes, especially on long trips, carry a G26 on my ankle and a J-frame in my pocket.  I can reach ankle while seated in the vehicle and when I am out I can slip my hand in my pocket, look casual, and have my hand on the J-frame if needed.

I think ankle carry has its place.  I would not carry only on my ankle unless the only other option was not carrying at all.  I just prefer quicker access than ankle carry provides in most situations.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry an M&P Shield with the flush 7 round mag in an ankle rig daily. This is a backup to my duty gun or as a backup to my CCW. Done so for years.

I echo the "find the right holster for you" sentiment. I went through 3-4 holsters (Galcos, Desantis, etc) before settling on a basic neoprene wrap style. It printed the least and has a snap retention which are the two big points for my ankle gun needs. As a backup, I need it to disappear and stay put on the move.

I wouldn't carry the ankle as my ONLY gun, but as a backup I am happy with it. I ride my holster right in the void below my calf and above my ankle. It's not the most comfortable at first, but the acclimatization period isn't long.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Glock 26 a few times a year. Church, and movie theaters are when I carry on the ankle, because I'm going to be seated for a bit, and it's easy to get from a seated position. Put it on before I leave, it's off when I get back in the car.

I tried making my LCP an ankle gun when I had it, but I do not like even that little gun on my ankle all day when I'm on my feet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, I think I still have the ankle holster from the LCP. I can send it to you if you want. Shoot me a message and let me know.

Eta: yep, still got it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Carried a 5 shot centennial in a ankle holster as a BUG over 2 decades ago.  Ended up in a foot chase, the revolver popped out of the holster and I kicked it in to the street. I ended up chasing the revolver first.

Never wore it in a ankle holster again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#21]
With lot s of draw practice and a good holster ( I use a Ritchie gunleather ankle rig- very comfortable and secure ) you can get pretty good at draw and fires. In my prime I could match or beat someone draw from a belt rig ( this was in the northeast in winter having to clear a heavy winter coat made drawing from a belt rig not as straightforward as some who don’t have to wear heavy winter clothing may think.)
I used an all steel j frame in mine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I have carried a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog on my ankle.

It was feasible, but not real comfortable.

I was younger then, at 64 I have given up on ankle carry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry every work day in an ankle holster. Have been for a few years now. As a service tech in front of customers (and their customers) I haven’t found a way to carry on my waist without being easily spotted.

In 12 years, ankle carry or front pocket carry have been the only ways I can comfortably do my job while carrying and not have a gun exposed. And out of those two I hate pocket carry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Carried a Keltec PF9 in a Desantis Apache rig for years, it was very secure & comfortable. Didn't use the calf strap and never needed it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to carry a small 22LR on my ankle as a back-up when I used to have to make trips into shady areas.  Didn't carry it enough to get really comfortable with it.  I always felt like I was walking like this.

Doggo doesn't like his new shoes ????

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't get into a foot pursuit with one.
It popped out of the holster and I kicked it chasing some one

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve carried an ankle gun for over 25 years. Often as a backup but sometimes as my only weapon. The ones I’ve used are s&w 38spl airweight, Glock 27 and Glock 26. Never had any problems with this carry method. I’ve run and fought without ever having an issue. As for summertime I would often walk the boardwalk wearing only a pair of carpenter jeans and flip flops With gun on ankle. It takes some getting used to and practice but it is worth it in my opinion
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Comfortable enough to do for 12+ hours using the right holster, socks and smaller gun like CM9 and Smith 442.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LCP in a Galco ankle holster. It works.

I wouldn't try anything bigger than an LCP.
View Quote

This for me as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I carried an ankle gun as a BUG for 28 years.

Before that I carried a snubby that way as primary as a bank courier.

I mostly carried a 442 in a Galco Ankle Glove, the strapless model. Perfect security and retention through endless foot chases, scuffles and fights.

I carried a Glock 26 for about 3 years when they came out, but it eventually made my knee hurt.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Did it with a Sig 365 under jeans and with square toed "cowboy" boots.

Never had an issue, but it's certainly less than ideal. It was ultimate concealment for me so as to prevent me from getting fired.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I did it for 2-3 years. It worked. Comfortable. Completely inaccessible in a moments notice (ie, slow) I got used to the weight (jframe & Kahr cm9). Not as concealable as Id like.  Some pants were a no go. Calf strap was a necessity. Boots were worse for conceal-ability, the lower on my leg the better.

About the only thing it was good for was making sure I had a firearm on me instead of off body carry, being comfortable, and somewhat concealable.

Not great, not terrible
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Glock 27 as a back-up to a Glock 22 in a Kramer ankle holster.  Comfortable and weight disappeared after you wore it for a couple of days and got used to it.  

S&W 442 in a Renegade ankle holster.  Featherweight, never knew it was there.

All easily and quickly accessible when seated.  Slower if had to draw standing.  I only wore them with shoes, as they'd print badly if holster worn over boots.  G&G BootLock ankle holster was a joke..."it's not a toomah."
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#35]
The last guy I arrested with one goes down to grab it and made it easier to tackle him down. The bonus is that while going down for it, his head was right at my weapons draw height. Would have been an easy head shot if he wasnt already bent over and off balance and flailing around with his tangled pants.

My personal rec is carry your weapon in the most comfortable manner for your body type, generally at your waist, within immediate reach/draw, with the least possibility of interference or entanglement with clothing etc, and dont get cute about it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve used an ankle rig to carry a BUG on and off duty for 25+

Not ideal but it works... 5 Shot Leather rig with an Airweight or Air Lite J-frame

Typically rests on top of a hiking boot ( I work plain clothes) and never moves even when running.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I have carried a Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle Glove as backup gun for over 10 years, no issues. I do use the optional calf strap, which helps not only keep the holster from sliding down the leg, but also twisting around the ankle.

No issues in foot pursuits at all. The gun has always stayed secure in the holster, due to the thumb break on the Ankle Glove. Probably time to replace the Ankle Glove - leather can only take so much saltwater exposure, which is an unfortunate side effect of working on the coast. I'm in and out of the water all the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ankle carry with the 340 in a Galco Ankle Glove with a tallish boot (maybe a 6"?) to hold it in place out of sight. Works great. Not gonna work with tapered leg pants, but your typical boot cut jeans etc, no problem. Plenty comfortable, out of sight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I did it for less than one day. Felt terrible, hard to get, and slower than pocket carry which is equally hidden.

Maybe for a hideout or something but for daily life it’s a hard pass
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Titanium 38 snubby.
My experience was:
- on the outside, you learn just how closely you walk next to everything.
- on the inside, you learn just how hard your opposite ankle bones are.
- Find a way to keep it from slipping down or everyone will see what you carry when you sit and your pantleg rids up a few inches. (there's a reason some ankle rigs come with an elastic garter)
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Titanium 38 snubby.
My experience was:
- on the outside, you learn just how closely you walk next to everything.
- on the inside, you learn just how hard your opposite ankle bones are.
- Find a way to keep it from slipping down or everyone will see what you carry when you sit and your pantleg rids up a few inches. (there's a reason some ankle rigs come with an elastic garter)
View Quote

Inside is the way to go... and boots only, lower shoes just don't work (at least for me, never tried garter strap).
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I feel like it's good if you're sitting down.  Walking down the street?  That gun is faaaaar away.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I feel like it's good if you're sitting down.  Walking down the street?  That gun is faaaaar away.
View Quote

Still a hell of a lot closer than the gun in your car, or at home.

The gun on you, and the carry method used are all going to be a trade off at some point. If I knew I would need a gun, I'd be carrying my AR slung.

Everyones life is different, and different needs for concealment might leave some of the less optimal carry positions available. It is what it is.

Better to carry a gun with a slow draw position than no gun at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#44]
An LCP in a Galco Ankle Lite is comfortable.  I always wore it around my boot (8-9" Danner work boots).  No problems with it showing under Carhartt work pants.  I tried a J frame in a Crossbreed ankle holster, I don't care for that at all.  The gun is too thick, the holster is too thick, and the retention sucks.  It has a Velcro thumbbreak instead of a snaplike the galco.  It might work better if you had a hammer, but it's not very secure with a hammerless J frame.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The gun on you, and the carry method used are all going to be a trade off at some point. If I knew I would need a gun, I'd be carrying my AR slung.

Everyones life is different, and different needs for concealment might leave some of the less optimal carry positions available. It is what it is.

View Quote

I don’t disagree with you, but If I’m doing anything other than sitting, it’s on my hip.  And that’s an opinion I came to have after 24 years of carrying concealed for a living.  A second gun can ride on my ankle, but my primary never will.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don’t disagree with you, but If I’m doing anything other than sitting, it’s on my hip.  And that’s an opinion I came to have after 24 years of carrying concealed for a living.  A second gun can ride on my ankle, but my primary never will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the problems with ankle carry is you lose some levels of escalating deterrence.  For example, if some thug insinuates he has a knife, or puts his hand on a knife on his belt, you can deter that threat by sweeping your shirt back and establishing a grip on your gun.  There has also been situations where people have drawn and held low-ready to deter a potential attacker.  I watched a road rage video where the victim went from holstered/concealed to hand on grip, to drawn at low-ready, and back several times as the attacker changed his attack posture.

Self defense isn't always so binary- opponent is either calm or in full attack.  There seems to be a lot of in-between that requires varying levels of readiness, to include gripping the gun and drawing to low-ready.  Ankle carry has problems for that- you aren't going to have grip-on-the-gun at all, and changing from low-ready back to holstered isn't very practical.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Use ankle carry a lot, J frame in Galco Ankle Glove, these days mostly a G42 in a Galco Ankle Glove. I prefer the thumb break model.

Sometimes it is the only way. With a good holster it is so comfy you forget it is there sometimes, I have carried into a couple places where I normally didn't by accident.

With low shoes like dress shoes, one of the tricks is to pull the sock up over the bottom of the rig. Helps it hide a lot better, learned that one from Massad Ayoob. Also learn to sit in a way where your pants don't ride up as much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For those who have carried small Berettas, or maybe J frames, or lCPs (or any similar size gun) on your ankle, what was your experience like?  I get that it has limited utility, but it clearly has some utility (seated positions, driving or maybe at a work desk Etc.)  Did you maybe do it during the winter and abandon it when the weather got warm?  Any funny stories of your pants riding up or maybe having to wear certain types of pants?   I'm not saying I'm for or against but I am curious and I'd like to hear from people who have lived that life even if only for a little while.
View Quote

Galco ankle glove and 340pd is the best way to carry for me at a non gun friendly office. I would carry aiwb but dress clothes are required there. I wear redwing iron ranger boots as well. Very comfortable and nobody has ever noticed.

The key is, a small lightweight gun and dont mess with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#49]
If I'm going somewhere or in a situation that's tough to carry IWB without getting outed, I'll ankle carry as a last resort. Usually a G43. I cant remember the holster brand (blue rock something maybe??). I wouldn't want to participate in a 400 meter sprint with it, but otherwise its fine. Reasonably comfortable and stays concealed. I guess if you were wearing high water pants it could show when you sat down, but never a problem for me personally. It's definitely not my first choice, but it works fine when the situation dictates the ankle holster definitely has it's place in my repertoire of carry methods.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#50]
For many years while on uniform patrol I carried a Walther PPK/S on my ankle as a backup  I don't remember the brand, but first holster was some neoprene material with a form fitted pouch for the gun, then a neoprene flap went over the back of the gun and was secured with velcro.  One night during a foot pursuit the gun flew out and slid down the street. I switched to a holster with a thumb break strap.

Once we switched to Glocks I carried a 27 on my ankle, with a spare 15rd magazine on the other ankle to sort of even out the weight a little.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top