Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 3:24:32 PM EDT
Does anybody know if they ever made a .380 with a locking block as opposed to a blowback design?  Google has failed me.  Id like one as a suppressor host; and a locked breach design would be far quieter than a blowback.  If not, Im thinking an 84 series is my best bet.  Im going with .380 as opposed to 9mm because it can suppress very well, with a fairly small can.  It will be a long term project.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally no…..while there were a few locked oddities at the beginning of the 20th century, all modern except Star S or Glock 380 automatic pistols are backflow only.  As a result, most suppress the 380s or louder than comparable 9 mm semi automatic pistol.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, gotcha.  Appreciate it bud!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anybody know if they ever made a .380 with a locking block as opposed to a blowback design?  Google has failed me.  Id like one as a suppressor host; and a locked breach design would be far quieter than a blowback.  If not, Im thinking an 84 series is my best bet.
View Quote

Alas, no, all large Berettas in .380 are blowback operated. They are ancient designs from the times before the wholesale switch to recoil operation in .380. The Beretta Pico is recoil operated but it's tiny.

Just about all popular .380 guns on the market are Browning-style locked breech action these days. Glock 42, Browning 1911-380, Rugers (LCP II, LCP MAX), SIG P238, S&W 380EZ, etc. etc. The exceptions are only PPK-style guns like Bersa Thunder, the new-production PPK itself, and RIA Baby Rock.

I think your best bet is Glock 42, although its capacity is rather limited. Workarounds exist, but they have downsides. S&W 380EZ's magazine is rather small too, although the gun itself is quite large: it splits a difference between Shield and Glock 19.

Ruger LCP MAX is an interesting option, but it's too new on the market and finding a threaded barrel for it is not going to be possible for some months. Its barrel is a little different from LCP II barrel, unfortunately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top