Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2023 8:57:34 PM EDT
I feel like I'm continuously seeing videos, posts in groups, etc saying to avoid the 5" model. I personally absolutely love full size pistols. So I wanted to pick up the 5". However, now I'm having second thoughts and thinking I should get the 4.25". Is there any truth to all this?

Also, I plan to send the gun out to have all the ignition parts replaced with hand fit billet. I see some people replacing the factory extractor with an upgrade from EGW as well. Seems like so many people are saying that's basically a must.

Thoughts on all this?
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Look up that big thread in the 1911 sub. A wealth of info there.

I was on board early with a 4.25”.  Most of my issues were due to the thick ceracoat on the rails.  2k+ rounds in now, it just runs and runs.  Very accurate.
Gutted mine and put in the EGW lightweight ignition kit.  I got a few light primer hits on reloads with the 19# hammer spring.  Factory was fine, but I put the 21# in and 100% ignition.
Still on the factory extractor and safety.

They cut some corners to hit that price, but not many.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
From what it seems, SA made a slight change with their newer 5" Prodigy's.  Seems like the newer Prodigy's have a channel cut under the slide and exposes some of the extractor shaft.

No idea why they did it, some speculated to help reduce reciprocating mass to better combat a sluggish slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top