Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2022 8:12:36 PM EDT
Posted in the Ruger handgun forum too but figured this was a better place

Have a 7.5" SBH for hunting but am looking for something in the >5" range to play with

Anyone have any input on having them ported vs not on the shorter barreled revolvers?
I have seen the Mag-na-port models and didn't know if there is a noticeable difference in muzzle jump or not.
I shoot HSM, Buffalo and handloads right now out of the 7.5 with a scope on it so I'm not too sure how wild it'll be in the small model.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SW 329PD that really rocked a muzzle flip before I had it magnaported.  2 pairs gave it manners.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Max Prasac has a good book on hunting revolvers.

Worth checking it out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
My 7" Freedom Arms .454 was Magnaported, it has 4 ports, which makes it a lot more tolerable to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:00:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Magnaport has a fast turn around and is a very good bargain.  It really tamed my beast.

It went from the trigger feeling like it was going to cut my finger off to being as manageable as my .357.  It makes quite a difference.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I've considered getting my 629 ported. There are two downsides that I am aware of.
1. Louder. Sometimes by quite a bit but magnum guns are already pretty damn loud.
2. Ruger won't touch it without replacing the barrel first if it needs servicing or at least that's how it was in the past. We sent a customers gun in for work. The cost was extremely reasonable so it's certainly not the end of the world but some people love to worry about theoretical stuff
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#6]
In my opinion, I don't see porting being ideal in a hunting situation. You're talking about 1 or 2 shots, likely no hearing protection (ported guns are louder at the ear) and I don't find my 4 5/8 SBH to be uncomfortable to shoot, even with heavy/hot loads. I wouldn't want to throw 100 rounds down range in a sitting, but that's not your intended use.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 7" Freedom Arms .454 was Magnaported, it has 4 ports, which makes it a lot more tolerable to shoot.
View Quote

Same. I can't imagine shooting full bore loads without the porting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve never owned a .44 mag with less than a 7” barrel, and haven’t had the need for heavier loads than standard factory 240 grain stuff, so take that for what it is. I find the SBH fairly comfortable to shoot if you don’t try to death grip and overpower the pistol, unlock your elbow and let the weight of the gun tame the recoil.

Damn things are loud enough without porting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I highly recommend magnaporting magnum revolvers. Just got back a S&W 629 2.6" .44magnum from magnaport. The porting removed any pain from recoil and made it actually manageable to shoot in .44magnum even with the exposed metal backstrap. Only times I'd consider not recommending it is for low-recoil revolvers like any L or N frame .357magnums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top