Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2020 2:21:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Per his IG post, he simply just isn't into doing the work anymore.  He specifically pointed out that all outstanding orders will be completed, but the reason for stopping isn't money...its basically just being burnt out.  Can't say I blame him, with his turnaround time being as low as it was, you know he was constantly working on stuff- I used to do my own, but it was really really tough to sit there long enough to get one done.

I just got a 48 frame back from him, and its a work of art....just like the other 10 frames I have that he's done.

Honestly, really bummed.  I felt it was the best in the business and I loved that texture
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw his books were closed. I was really wanting to drop a frame off with him.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Was planning on having one sent. So where do I send it to now?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck.  He has done five for me and I wanted to send two more this month.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Shame. He did great work. Guess I need to find someone else to send frames to
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend that used Cold Bore Customs for some work on a Glock 21SF. Wait time was about a month or so. The texturing is decent, not to grabby, but not slick like the factory Gen3 texture. Definitely a professionally done piece of work with a defined border and even, consistent pattern.

Maybe give them a try.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a friend that used Cold Bore Customs for some work on a Glock 21SF. Wait time was about a month or so. The texturing is decent, not to grabby, but not slick like the factory Gen3 texture. Definitely a professionally done piece of work with a defined border and even, consistent pattern.

Maybe give them a try.
View Quote
Lane is a member here! I was thinking about NAF for my next one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Who or what is NAF?

I have not heard of this person/place before.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Googling NAF stippling shows NAF Solutions.

I had Polymer Refined do my edc gun a while back, I love it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Per his IG post, he simply just isn't into doing the work anymore.  He specifically pointed out that all outstanding orders will be completed, but the reason for stopping isn't money...its basically just being burnt out.  Can't say I blame him, with his turnaround time being as low as it was, you know he was constantly working on stuff- I used to do my own, but it was really really tough to sit there long enough to get one done.

I just got a 48 frame back from him, and its a work of art....just like the other 10 frames I have that he's done.

Honestly, really bummed.  I felt it was the best in the business and I loved that texture
View Quote
Sounds like he needed to raise his prices, supply and demand and all that.  Look at Boresight Solutions, Ben charges an arm and a leg and he isn’t hurting for work, because his work is widely regarded as the best.  I wasn’t familiar with Polymer refined before now, but looking at the gallery, looks like his work has more value than what he is charging.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Look at Boresight Solutions, Ben charges an arm and a leg and he isn’t hurting for work, because his work is widely regarded as the best.
View Quote
The best? I dunno man...the website pictures for stippling look a little muddy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#13]
His dreams were probably haunted by images of all those poor stippled pistols and the guilt was just too much to bear.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ll definitely be using Coldbore Customs and Boresight in the future. Just got a G45 back from a shop called Yoder Custom that I’m very happy with.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like he needed to raise his prices, supply and demand and all that.  Look at Boresight Solutions, Ben charges an arm and a leg and he isn’t hurting for work, because his work is widely regarded as the best.  I wasn’t familiar with Polymer refined before now, but looking at the gallery, looks like his work has more value than what he is charging.
View Quote
His pricing was extremely competitive.

I paid 230 to him for work that would have been 350-400 elsewhere.

I was just about to sell two frames I had done by him, they were actually the very first gen 5 frames he ever did- we went back and forth regarding how to border the bottom by the mag well, and the idea stuck.

Looks like I will he keeping those.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Dang. Don’t blame him. Stippling is a huge time suck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’ll definitely be using Coldbore Customs and Boresight in the future. Just got a G45 back from a shop called Yoder Custom that I’m very happy with.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432480/9F2881EA-2B63-405F-ABF8-132CDBF37B4C_jpe-1273385.JPG
View Quote
Austin Yoder does some clean work for sure.  I see his stuff in a stippling FB group.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Sonoran Defense Technologies.

They do laser stippling.  Looks factory.  Check them out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sonoran Defense Technologies.

They do laser stippling.  Looks factory.  Check them out.
View Quote
^^^They do amazing work. They have multi textured frames that look incredible and are very functional.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I can definitely sympathize with getting burned out.  As someone who has been doing this since '09', it can take a toll on you.  I was at a six month wait for a while, and cut back on accepting orders.  I also work full time, so after putting in 42 plus hours at work, I also work on orders till all hours of the night.

While I could hire employees, and do the big business thing, I don't want to throw out quality for the sake of a dollar.  It may take me a bit longer than some, but no one touches the work but me.  That way I know exactly what was done, and don't have to worry about going behind someone and fixing a problem, or a frame showing back up because a corner was cut.  If I wouldn't carry it, then it doesn't leave the shop.

Cutting the work load down was the only way I could stay interested in doing to work.

TXPO
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been researching where to send a couple frames too. I saw they closed a Polymer Refined. I did see a place called Get A Grip customs on IG and the work looks decent an the books are open. I am just hesitant cause I’ve never heard of them before. Anyone used these guys before? Can some of you that are recommending people already post pics of the work? Would help a lot to see before I send off frames to people. Lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have been researching where to send a couple frames too. I saw they closed a Polymer Refined. I did see a place called Get A Grip customs on IG and the work looks decent an the books are open. I am just hesitant cause I’ve never heard of them before. Anyone used these guys before? Can some of you that are recommending people already post pics of the work? Would help a lot to see before I send off frames to people. Lol
View Quote
In no particular order:

Rocket City Stippling
Defkon3
Wayne Hammer Customs
Dave Modz Customs
Boogeyman Customs

You can see all of their work on Instagram or just by googling their names.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I posted this in a thread of the same of topic.

Attachment Attached File

From Clark himself

Edit. Boogeyman is slides only
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Have you handled one? Anything I have messed with that is laser stippled just feels soft to me.
View Quote
@thunderopossom

As someone considering laser stippling, but having never handled one, what do you mean by "soft"?  Does this mean the grip doesn't have as much of an aggressive texture or do you mean the grip polymer itself is soft as a result of the process.  Just trying to understand before I spend a lot of money on this.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@thunderopossom

As someone considering laser stippling, but having never handled one, what do you mean by "soft"?  Does this mean the grip doesn't have as much of an aggressive texture or do you mean the grip polymer itself is soft as a result of the process.  Just trying to understand before I spend a lot of money on this.  Thanks!
View Quote
Nowhere near aggressive enough. A bar of soap is how I would describe a frame with laser work. They look great but for the money I think a real stipple job is better.

Pricing to have the laser work look like hand stippling is pretty expensive too.

The Sonoran defense stuff looks good but too rich for me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I can help you. I don’t advertise here, as obviously I’m not an industry partner, but I do this as a second income in addition to my full time LE job.

I can also recommend several other companies, based on their work and my interaction with their owners.

Gun Grip Customs
Battlecock Tactical
Rocket City Stippling
Dave Modz Customs
Battle Ready Arms
Get A Grip Customs
Yoder Customs
Danger Close Armament
Donahoe Dynamics

There are plenty of guys doing quality work. Find who has the texture and features you like, at the price you can afford, with a reasonable turnaround. Keep in mind that the cost of business has risen, and the cheapest option is rarely the best. Good work takes time and skill, and therefore costs.

PM me if you have questions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I wanted to try one of those slide stop levers, but apparently they are vapor ware now.
View Quote
I found a few places online with them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
He did my G19 gen 3 for EDC and his work is fantastic. He will be missed in the industry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top