Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2024 2:01:43 PM EDT
I was browsing AimSurplus, and noticed they had police trade-in Glock 22's for $279.  Gen3's and Gen 4's.  What should I know or to expect before buying one?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
I was browsing AimSurplus, and noticed they had police trade-in Glock 22's for $279.  Gen3's and Gen 4's.  What should I know or to expect before buying one?
View Quote

Carried a lot, shot little in my experience. Night sights are usually fairly dim. Good deals imo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Aim Surplus is trustworthy. They tend to under grade their guns. It is usually nicer than they say it is.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve gotten some with lots of external wear and I’ve gotten some that still had the factory grease in them and looked new. Either way they are good buys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Buying police trade ins online is a gamble.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t.

I am fortunate to live close to GT distributors and they allow you to look at and take the slide off of as many as you like until you find one you like.

I’ve seen some that were beat to hell and seen some that were essentially new.  

Most have beat up frames on the right side from cops walking into stuff and holster wear on slides.  
Most have been fired very little.  

If it’s going to be a defensive gun, most people recommend replacing the springs.  

If it’s a plinker, just shoot the hell out of it.  
It will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:24:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#5]
I've bought a LOT of police trade ins.  (I collect dept marked ones.)   I would not buy one unseen. Fortunately I have a dealer that commonly carries them and I can pick the best condition ones.

It really varies.  I've found some that barely have all their parts to pristine new examples. (I have an Idaho Fish and Game marked 870 that came in the factory box)

As for Glock 22's?   That's the current price at GT distributors with extra mags and they give you a discount on (iirc) five boxes of ammo with the sale.   I suggest you take a look at their site.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Carried a lot, shot little in my experience. Night sights are usually fairly dim. Good deals imo.
View Quote

FPNI. I’ve had good luck. Several pistols and one rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsg7162] [#7]
I just got two in last week, Gen 4's. Very nice condition. A Little bit of slide wear.  Night sights glow. Very good deal. I picked up a 9mm conversion barrel for one of them. I have several police trade-ins. Several from AIM and some in person at GT distributiors. They are some of the best deals in pistols. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsg7162] [#8]
Breech face
Pics are after running them though the ultrasonic cleaner with simple green and a wipe down. Going to the range tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Theyll be dirty, not all cops are gun guys and can't maintain a firearm for shit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Usually this. I've had one "bad" experience where the pistol wasn't quite as described, the department markings were nearly worn off (so was a lot of finish).  Customer service offered a few things as apology,  but I declined and ultimately sold it..  

However,  it was a fluke out of the half dozen or so firearms I've picked up.  I'm happy with how they handled it and am still a happy customer.

Moral is, occasional flukes happen but usually they're great deals.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought a Gen 3 G22 from Aim a few months back. Mine was in pretty good condition, but dirty. The night sights are very dim.

I used it as a project gun. Removed finger grooves, scalloped out the mag release area, chopped the grip to G23 length, stippled. It shoots well. May have the slide worked on, we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought two G22s and one G27 from Aim.  Sights were dim on the 22s but the 27 is bright.

All three weren't fired much and are cosmetically great shape.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]
5k of rounds

Internals good

Surface wear

Grips scratched up

Generally decent for the money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

This.

Mostly holster wear. Best to plan on replacing night sights right away as usually dim. Otherwise still very good condition overall.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By zainyD:
Bought a Gen 3 G22 from Aim a few months back. Mine was in pretty good condition, but dirty. The night sights are very dim.

I used it as a project gun. Removed finger grooves, scalloped out the mag release area, chopped the grip to G23 length, stippled. It shoots well. May have the slide worked on, we'll see.
View Quote

Post photos of you can.  I always love looking at chop jobs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Gen2 G19 frame Aim Surplus several years ago.  It was obviously old, but in very good condition for it's age.  Sometimes you get lucky and get a gun that wasn't shot much because it was a spare, or just wasn't shot much by the person it was issued to.  Some places still only require one qualification a year, so it may have had only 50-100 rounds each year it was issued.  

Not everyone is an ARFCOMmer who shoots 500rds every week

Or it could be like a friend of mine.  He shot his duty weapon ONLY to qualify twice a year.  He got an identical gun for training and off duty use and used the shit out of it.  He was the type who probably would have had to actually replace the barrel because of wear, not because it was shot out.  

I once saw a gun a GT Distributors that had to have been an academy gun.  This thing looked like it probably had 100,000rds through it, especially when looking at it's brothers sitting next to him
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Two years ago I got a 23 gen 3 from AIM and it is by far my nicest Glock. It looked brand new and the night sights are very bright. For $299 it was a bargain!

Steve
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Bought a p320 trade in from them and the module was gross and slide was pretty dirty.

Swapped grips and it is awesome. I might still get another one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel sorry for whoever ended up with my old G17, since I was getting free ammo from 3 entities, I had at least 50k on it. Same for the 19 I traded in before getting a new one at retirement.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mark5pt56:
I feel sorry for whoever ended up with my old G17, since I was getting free ammo from 3 entities, I had at least 50k on it. Same for the 19 I traded in before getting a new one at retirement.
View Quote

You are the reason I buy them in person.  
I wish I got free ammo too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
same as the 5906 when we switched to the Glocks, I cracked 4 SW gen 3 frames.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Recently from AIM my dad bought himself a G21 the pistol was like new.  When I changed the NY1 trigger spring out the pistol on the inside looked like it had maybe been shot a box through and never shot again.  There was zero ghosting on the barrel and inside of the slide.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

I’m racking up the round count on my P320. Between SWAT trainings, classes, and then quarterly quals being part of a task force, I’ve shot it a lot.  I’ve now moved to a training unit, so I’ll not shoot as much, but still get to shoot free ammo. I plan on buying it when we eventually switch to optic mounted pistols.
And I just got issued  a new 320 X-frame with red dot to T&E.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AT7:
Aim Surplus is trustworthy. They tend to under grade their guns. It is usually nicer than they say it is.
View Quote

I bought a police trade-trade-in Sig 226R from them last week. It looks freaking brand new. Only the magazine looked a little worn.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:56:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#25]
Originally Posted By tc2129:

I’m racking up the round count on my P320. Between SWAT trainings, classes, and then quarterly quals being part of a task force, I’ve shot it a lot.  I’ve now moved to a training unit, so I’ll not shoot as much, but still get to shoot free ammo. I plan on buying it when we eventually switch to optic mounted pistols.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc2129:

When I was at the range, had a field day! I recall we had the pistols in for the new class coming through, we had the pistols in early so I took the liberty of shooting them so when the class came up they had a great cleaning session!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Just picked up a 19.4 from recoil gun works. I went with the very good condition option. If 10/10 is brand new it's a 9.5/10 and doesn't even look like it's been holstered.  Came with factory box, 1 magazine, back straps, sealed up test rounds and manuals just as it would new.  I am going to take it out tomorrow and shoot about 250 rounds.  The buying process from them was very easy as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a gen 4 G22 on order. I am hoping for a decent shape one, but in all honesty it will be a beater gun.

I bought a gen 4 G23 from Kygunco a few weeks back. Mechanically the gun looks like it was fired very little, carried some, and dropped once. The frame on the left side rear looks like it took a bump and was a little scuffed up, but I just put a Talon grip over it and called it good. I did get a couple mags with it that looked new so it's cool. I don't like buying sight unseen, but I do know that Glock will refurbish them pretty cheap.

The gun was kind of dirty, but all the small wear parts looked new. I still resprung it for peace of mind.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Meh.  I bought a buddy of mines IDPA gun that I was probably present for the 40K that went through it (Gen 2 G17).  It’s fine.  Wearing it right now as I’ve done most every day for the last 4 years.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]
The couple police trade ins I’ve had all showed a little holster wear on the grip or slide but the insides looked new or barely shot on most.

Two I had were police trade ins but were never issued to anyone. Both were brand new in the box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top