Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 67
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wickedbeernut:
I believe the point being made is there's zero gain if you change the battery on a regular basis.  The Holosun yields 50,000 hours (almost six years) of battery life without shake-awake (granted, YMMV depending on your setting).  That's plenty of battery life for me.  I don't need the shake-awake (or the solar panels).  The Holosun is a nice, high-value MRDS.  Just offer one model without the gimmicks.  Call it the SOCOM model or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: How do you figure it's zero gain exactly? Extending the life of the battery by putting the optic in stand-by during the hours you're not carrying the gun adds those hours to the usable time per battery. If the battery does die at some point, the optic still functions. How is this zero gain?
I believe the point being made is there's zero gain if you change the battery on a regular basis.  The Holosun yields 50,000 hours (almost six years) of battery life without shake-awake (granted, YMMV depending on your setting).  That's plenty of battery life for me.  I don't need the shake-awake (or the solar panels).  The Holosun is a nice, high-value MRDS.  Just offer one model without the gimmicks.  Call it the SOCOM model or something.

Using the same logic of what you call “gimmicks” :

Attachment Attached File

[insert “but that was different” gif]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM:

Well might as well get rid of buttons since it is a point of failure too...

You might be on to something

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/113559/BC186C37-578B-4AD8-A9E1-91B5709C4F29_jpe-1959222.JPG

How does your Trijicon adjust the dot intensity?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
It makes you wonder how the military gets by with their Aimpoints and Eotechs.
View All Quotes

And when that 50 battery prematurely fails and or leaks rendering it useless?

It makes you wonder how the military gets by with their Aimpoints and Eotechs.

Ask the boys in the armory.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM: How does your Trijicon adjust the dot intensity?
View Quote
It automatically adjusts based on ambient light.

Man, all I asked for was a Holosun without shake-awake and solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Ask the boys in the armory.
View Quote
I don't have to ask them to know they don't have shake awake or solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The solar panel thing is cool, and not wildly different from the dual-illuminated RMRs. I see less of a purpose for shake awake.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CurseOfKatyn] [#7]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM: How does your Trijicon adjust the dot intensity?

And how does the RMR know how to adjust for lighting conditions?

ETA:

Also, you know you can turn off the shake awake, right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM: you know you can turn off the shake awake, right?
View Quote
Yes.  I would never want it on, so why would I want it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jackal-FnM: you know you can turn off the shake awake, right?

Because other people do? Even with the RMR, if there is no activity for a set amount of hours it will default to a power saving mode so.....

But again I ask, how does the RMR know how to adjust for different lighting conditions?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

They did make one without a solar panel, but it still had shake awake.  The 407A
https://palmettostatearmory.com/holosun-3moa-shake-awake-red-dot-pistol-sight-hs407a.html
Currently out if stock, not sure if they are even made anymore.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457660/D0540962-AB2E-47FE-975A-DAC4F7E92A3A_jpe-1959430.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet: How do you figure it's zero gain exactly? Extending the life of the battery by putting the optic in stand-by during the hours you're not carrying the gun adds those hours to the usable time per battery. If the battery does die at some point, the optic still functions. How is this zero gain?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457660/D0540962-AB2E-47FE-975A-DAC4F7E92A3A_jpe-1959430.JPG

I dont like that feature
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Because other people do? Even with the RMR, if there is no activity for a set amount of hours it will default to a power saving mode so.....

But again I ask, how does the RMR know how to adjust for different lighting conditions?
View All Quotes

There's an optic sensor on it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Got my slide back from Sig yesterday. I sent it back because the mounting plate screws were torqued on super tight and probably had some thread locker on them as well. I attempted to remove the screws myself, a lot of different ways but the screws didn’t budge. Turnaround was quick
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eaglecp] [#15]
Both 365xl’s above are looking good!
Bravo Gentlemen

Happy Memorial Day all!
Cp
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes

More specific is it is a light sensor. The “solar panel” on top of the Holosun is several of these light sensors which on the Holosun will act as the light sensor and also produce enough voltage to power the reticle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: triburst1] [#17]
This has proven to be the perfect carry gun. I’ve been carrying a Glock 19, daily, for over 20 years now. This is the third version for me after a very early Gen 2 and an OD Gen 3, with each one being an improvement, adding a light rail, then the optic capability.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]

More specific is it is a light sensor. The “solar panel” on top of the Holosun is several of these light sensors which on the Holosun will act as the light sensor and also produce enough voltage to power the reticle.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457660/ED240343-5E3E-4E11-ADEE-0CCAD6A90969_jpe-1960987.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457660/ED240343-5E3E-4E11-ADEE-0CCAD6A90969_jpe-1960987.JPG

My concern would be that the holosun solar panel is tasked with 2 jobs instead of one. With chinese qc to keep it working.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CurseOfKatyn] [#19]

My concern would be that the holosun solar panel is tasked with 2 jobs instead of one. With chinese qc to keep it working.
View All Quotes

It is simple, it measures voltage input... It is not as complicated as you think.

ETA: been proven to work, the QC has also been proven.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]

It is simple, it measures voltage input... It is not as complicated as you think.

View Quote
You are awfully invested lol
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Especially for a feature that has little to no benefit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rush4theYehO] [#22]
This is what this thread has devolved into.  https://tenor.com/view/fight-granny-fight-gif-7570651

If you're going to argue endlessly over the most fringe of features, you really need to go out and shoot more.  This is serious GD level arguing.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Invested? No. I have both Trijicon and the Holosun. When you start spouting of bullshit about one red dot that the other company is also using but it’s ok because it is Trijicon makes you look like what?

I backed up my info with facts instead of feelz.

Yes red dots greatly improve pistol performance. You want a Trijicon RMR because you like it and it’s features, then use it! You want to use a Holosun because you want the features it offers, then use that one. Crapping on a competitor to your red dot on a pedestal makes you look childish. I pointed out the features you crap on that Holosun is using which just so happens Trijicon is doing as well. So you gonna criticize Trijicon for those gimmick features too or no because “well it is different..”

You won’t because it would be you who is invested too much into a brand.. I have at least owned products from both companies... Have you?

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

I dont think the solar powered model has been proven and it certainly hasn't been around long enough to know much of anything.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Invested? No. I have both Trijicon and the Holosun. When you start spouting of bullshit about one red dot that the other company is also using but it’s ok because it is Trijicon makes you look like what?

Yes red dots greatly improve pistol performance. You want a Trijicon RMR because you like it and it’s features, then use it! You want to use a Holosun because you want the features it offers, then use that one. Crapping on a competitor to your red dot on a pedestal makes you look childish. I pointed out the features you crap on that Holosun is using which just so happens Trijicon is doing as well. So you gonna criticize Trijicon for those gimmick features too or no because “well it is different..”

You won’t because it would be you who is invested too much into a brand.. I have at least owned products from both companies... Have you?

View All Quotes

Trijicon is asking that sensor to do one thing. A chinese made maker is asking it to do 2. Its not the same.

You presented no facts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:14:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pleaforwar] [#26]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Trijicon is asking that sensor to do one thing. A chinese made maker is asking it to do 2. Its not the same.

You presented no facts.
View All Quotes

You presented no facts.

You don’t understand electrical circuits.

Trijicon is receiving a voltage signal from the sensor to determine what the reticle illumination should be.

Holosun is also receiving a voltage input but it is part of the powered circuit. It is a very simple circuit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#28]

I dont think the solar powered model has been proven and it certainly hasn't been around long enough to know much of anything.
View All Quotes

Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics along with many many people who can also vouch for it and he is a RMR fan too.

What is the parameters to say that it is proven to you?

What is the verdict on the new Acro P-2? Looks very promising to me, but time will tell.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics along with many many apparentpeople who can also vouch for it and he is a RMR fan too.

What is the verdict on the new Acro P-2? Looks very promising to me, but time will tell.
View All Quotes

Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics along with many many apparentpeople who can also vouch for it and he is a RMR fan too.

Give it a few years.

The acro had some issues that were not immediately apparent.

Even rmrs had some issues in their gen 1s. I still prefer the gen 1s because those issues are easy to fix.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Henny] [#30]

Give it a few years.

The acro had some issues that were not immediately apparent.

Even rmrs had some issues in their gen 1s. I still prefer the gen 1s because those issues are easy to fix.
View Quote

RN, what issues on the Gen 1s are an easy fix? I’m just curious.

In total I’ve sent Gen 1 RMRs back to Trijicon 5 times  2 units, one 3 times, the other twice. 2 were flickering and or shutting off during recoil, the other 3 times were the sights lost their ability to maintain vertical adjustment. Trijicon replaced them with 2nd generation ones.

For the loss of power issues, I did the dab of RVT. The sights still, eventually lost power.

In all fairness, both of those sights were early Gen 1s and literally had thousands of rounds ( the one tens of thousands) of rounds through them. I shot them a lot and used them for class instruction starting in 2013 or 14.

So far the 2nd generation ones, I’ve had zero issues.

Oddly enough, the only RMR I’ve never had to send back is the one I probably like the least, a dual illuminated RM04. It doesn’t have near the amount of rounds through it, probably somewhere around 10k, it’s never stopped working. I had it mounted on a G17 for years, but now it’s mounted on a 45° offset on my one scoped AR.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#31]
@Henny

I would pre-emptively put a small piece of rubber band behind the battery contact. Also use energizer lithium batteries as they're slighty bigger.

Im not sure there's anything you can do when the adjustments start to go but like you said that is usually from earlier ones.

Yeah, my dual illuminated one has been trouble free too. I just wish it was better in low light.

I dont think rmrs are perfect. I dont. Theyve been around a long time and have had their share of issues but are known and easy to fix.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
@Henny

I would pre-emptively put a small piece of rubber band behind the battery contact. Also use energizer lithium batteries as they're slighty bigger.

Im not sure there's anything you can do when the adjustments start to go but like you said that is usually from earlier ones.

Yeah, my dual illuminated one has been trouble free too. I just wish it was better in low light.

I dont think rmrs are perfect. I dont. Theyve been around a long time and have had their share of issues but are known and easy to fix.
View Quote

Isn’t that the truth! Nothing is perfect, but I’ve really have become comfortable with the RMRs over the years.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Fast becoming my favorite setup.

Cp
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By eaglecp:
Fast becoming my favorite setup.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/MWxD3I.jpg
Cp
View Quote
I love it.

Add a weaponlight for PM use and added weight up front
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#35]
So I have a question; when using a RDS do you focus on the target? I’m used to focusing on the front sight
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#36]
Originally Posted By BB:
So I have a question; when using a RDS do you focus on the target? I'm used to focusing on the front sight
View Quote
100% target focus.

Do not look for the dot.
Do not guide your draw on target by lining up irons.

Dot should appear on target after draw.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#37]
Originally Posted By BB:
So I have a question; when using a RDS do you focus on the target? I’m used to focusing on the front sight
View Quote

Yes, just like with a rifle.

I took my FNX out over the weekend and shot it with the RMR for the first time. Lollipopping got me on paper, then I zeroed at 15 yards.

Just need to work on recovery time.

It did seem easier to tighten up my groups because I noticed movement with the dot that I wouldn't have with irons.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]

What do you think of that icarus precision frame?  Does it make any different in recoil?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I just got my Glock 19 slide back from Maple Leaf Firearms, it looks great, looking forward to getting it to the range.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Rush4theYehO:

What do you think of that icarus precision frame?  Does it make any different in recoil?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rush4theYehO:

It does add a bit of weight but as far as recoil reduction, I honestly can't tell the difference.

It's nicely machined, adds a pic rail and feels good in the hand.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

I was considering a Burris Fastfire III but I'll take a look at the Vortex as well.
View Quote

I recommend the Vortex Razor RDS over the Venom.  Built a little more robust.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

I was considering a Burris Fastfire III but I'll take a look at the Vortex as well.

I’m sure it is but it’s also double the price. No way I’d spend $400 on a Vortex when I can get an RMR for $460.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#43]

I’m sure it is but it’s also double the price. No way I’d spend $400 on a Vortex when I can get an RMR for $460.
View Quote

I used my ExpertVoice discount so I guess I didnt think about the MSRP
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#44]
What are opinions on the Holosun 509T?
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Newbie question:  I've been practicing with pistol optics for about 6 months now and I am finally confident enough to carry one.  I have a P365XL with an HS507K, as well as a P80 with a 507C.  What brightness setting do you use for a carry gun?

A usable setting for a bright sunny day will bloom like crazy at night or in the rain.  Are you just setting it for low light as that is the more probable time of an attack?

Set it high for daylight and hope for the best at night?

Are you adjusting the sight as conditions change?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Newbie question:  I've been practicing with pistol optics for about 6 months now and I am finally confident enough to carry one.  I have a P365XL with an HS507K, as well as a P80 with a 507C.  What brightness setting do you use for a carry gun?

A usable setting for a bright sunny day will bloom like crazy at night or in the rain.  Are you just setting it for low light as that is the more probable time of an attack?

View Quote

Do you have a light attached? If so, try with the light on. It'll bloom less.

Also, the bright dot, even with bloom, is still small enough to make accurate shots. It's like going from a 3 moa to a 2 moa.

Focus on the target, not the dot and the outer bloom becomes more fine as your focus is on the plane of the target, blurring the outer edge of the dot and making it smaller overall.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I leave my RMRs on the auto setting for carry. I've done practice draws in every amount of light from a sunny El Paso day down to complete darkness in my house at night and the dot is always auto adjusted to a usable brightness.

The auto brightness isn't perfect, but its good enough to take a shot with.. Sometimes on the range I'll manually over ride the adjustment to fine tune the brightness.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Sonoran_Tj:

I leave my RMRs on the auto setting for carry. I've done practice draws in every amount of light from a sunny El Paso day down to complete darkness in my house at night and the dot is always auto adjusted to a usable brightness.

The auto brightness isn't perfect, but its good enough to take a shot with.. Sometimes on the range I'll manually over ride the adjustment to fine tune the brightness.
View Quote
I'm pretty impressed with how quickly the RMR adjusts to different lighting conditions on auto.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Also, the bright dot, even with bloom, is still small enough to make accurate shots. It's like going from a 3 moa to a 2 moa.

Focus on the target, not the dot and the outer bloom becomes more fine as your focus is on the plane of the target, blurring the outer edge of the dot and making it smaller overall.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Ok.  I might need to change my reticle from circle/dot to the plain dot, because the bloom from the circle/dot was awful when i tried it last.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Well, I didn't think either had an auto mode, but it turns out the C does.  The K does not.
Page / 67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top