Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2024 9:57:11 PM EDT
I recently picked up this Colt 1911 MkIV series 70 made in 1981. I've not seen too many 70 series Colts with a satin nickel finish. Anybody have any tips on cleaning or polishing the finish?

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't use Hoppes or anything that will attack the copper undercoat of the nickle finish.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
Don't use Hoppes or anything that will attack the copper undercoat of the nickle finish.
View Quote

So, pretty much wipe it down with oil and call it good?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#3]
If your desire is to brighten it, a little Flintz on a cotton ball will work.  Just don't be too aggressive, Flintz is an abraisive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice catch!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Unlike regular nickel so called electroless nickel is specifically designed not to shine, so this is not a case of rub it with something to shine it up. The gun looks great, and a casual intermitten wipe down with an oil of choice is fine.

For general cleaning I use VERY little solvent ( in most cases I clean my guns dry, meaning no solvent at all ,and it gets the job done just fine) then again I live in a very low humidity area and this may change if I lived in high humidity.
Also I am not OCD with cleaning - knock enough crud off to keep the gun functional and keep trucking.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tiger222:
Nice catch!!
View Quote

Thanks. I like it.

After doing further research it appears the two tone series 70's didn't sell well so they discontinued them. Looking on gunbroker some of the sold prices are pretty wild.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top