Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 9:47:55 PM EDT
This happened after approximately 600 rounds were fired.
It was declared to be a total loss. S&W is sending a replacement.
I think that there are other examples of this failure on the intetweb.
Check yours...

Edited to correct round count...

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Tolerance stacking???
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tolerance stacking???
View Quote

Frame's a crakin'
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
+/- 200 rounds of 22lr. Sounds like a metallurgy issue. I'd be disappointed too. Always has been a gun I'd like to own. /;-((
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
200 or 20,000 rounds?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
that sucks, was tempted to buy one myself.  

It reminds me of the old M1917 Eddystones.  I want to say iirc the barrel shank threaded area was over sized and they cranked them on anyhow.  Mostly fine until they were rebarreled and then cracked.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
200 or 20,000 rounds?
View Quote

Approximately six hundred.
They had it in their metallurgy lab for several weeks

Edited to correct round count...
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's a video of someone else who had a cracked frame. Skip to around 2:15 for the images...

Smith and Wesson 617 issues... finally found out why it was shaving lead off bullets. Broken frame!
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I just checked my 2012 era 6” 617 and no cracking.  Thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have heard it is from over torquing the barrels on install
Fairly common on alloy frames. First time I have ever heard of it with a steel frame
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF?  A steel-framed .22 cracking?  A K-frame should handle a .38 with ease and this gun weighs more than a 686, so there should be MORE steel present than a larger caliber.  I have two, one a lightly used 617-6 that I've only shot a couple time since i bought it - now I have to look at it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WTF?  A steel-framed .22 cracking?  A K-frame should handle a .38 with ease and this gun weighs more than a 686, so there should be MORE steel present than a larger caliber.  I have two, one a lightly used 617-6 that I've only shot a couple time since i bought it - now I have to look at it.
View Quote

Agreed WTF?

Checked mine, its good. Not sure how many rounds it has through it, I bought it used, but I have only put about 400 through it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
That crack is from the barrel install, had nothing to do with what's fired through it, imo. I bet it would crack just sitting in your gun safe
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the heads up. I have two 617 no dash models in the safe I’ll be checking today.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I work at a gun shop in the last year we have sent back two new smith revolvers 617 and a 686 both had barrels not lined up also had lots of QC issues with the new Shield plus so far
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't have thought a 22 would do that. I have a model 66 do that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have thought a 22 would do that. I have a model 66 do that.
View Quote

Obviously, it has nothing to do with it being chambered for .22 LR.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#18]
How old is this 617?

I’ll have to dig mine out of the safe and check it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How old is this 617?

View Quote

It was manufactured in Q1 of 2021...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly the real WTF here is that frame gas cutting from low pressure lead .22 rounds, holy shit. Looks like a M19 that shot 125gr 357 its whole life.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is fouling.  Look closer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly the real WTF here is that frame gas cutting from low pressure lead .22 rounds, holy shit. Looks like a M19 that shot 125gr 357 its whole life.
That is fouling.  Look closer.

Correct...carbon and lead buildup
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I found it funny with the "lets see if there is a lot less smoke"... "I guess not."
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I found it funny with the "lets see if there is a lot less smoke"... "I guess not."
View Quote

I'm not sure what you're referring to...
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the Video you posted above. The guys 617 was smoking like it was a blackpowder Brown Bess. He changed ammunition thinking that may be the culprit and not expanding gasses every which way but Sunday and determined that the ammunition wasn't the cause.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In the Video you posted above. The guys 617 was smoking like it was a blackpowder Brown Bess. He changed ammunition thinking that may be the culprit and not expanding gasses every which way but Sunday and determined that the ammunition wasn't the cause.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Back around 2013 I purchased a new 617. After shooting it I quickly learned that it shaved/spit lead back at the shooter. Further investigation showed a barrel to cylinder gap that was out of spec and uneven from top to bottom. I returned the gun to S&W for repair.

Two weeks later I got a call from S&W explaining that the barrel needed to be removed so that the forcing cone could be recut and the barrel to cylinder gap set correctly,  BUT that they were unable to do the work on my gun without the frame cracking due to an unspecified defect.

I was given the option of either a full refund or a replacement gun the next production run of 617's. I took the refund.

Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How old is this 617?

View Quote
Important question to ask.  SW will not warranty older guns made before the ownership changed.  They bounced a Model 29 that I sent in.  I was lucky to get my money back from the seller.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
The replacement 617-6 took 3 1/2 months to arrive.
I sold it...
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The replacement 617-6 took 3 1/2 months to arrive.
I sold it...
View Quote

Just curious, but you didn't mention why you sold it.

A 617 is an excellent revolver. Every company sends out a lemon now and then and S&W seems to have had your back on it. It makes a great addition if you're into the 6XX's series as much as a M17 does if you're into the "classics" like the M27 and M29. I like both series.

Here's some of my 6XX's. The 617 (bottom) fits right in with it's bigger brothers:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just curious, but you didn't mention why you sold it.
View Quote

Due to lack of confidence and because I'm old and bitter...
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That crack is from the barrel install, had nothing to do with what's fired through it, imo. I bet it would crack just sitting in your gun safe
View Quote

Yup barrel torque load on the thin part of the frame.

The aluminum and scandium frames, both, also do it. J and N frames is what I’ve seen it in.

Not all do it.  Not even a large percentage, a very small percentage actually.

But it’s a known thing. Ive only seen J frame 38/357 and N frame 44mag(329s) and 45auto(325s) do it. First time I’ve seen a 22 do it
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The aluminum and scandium frames, both, also do it. J and N frames is what I’ve seen it in.

But it’s a known thing. Ive only seen J frame 38/357 and N frame 44mag(329s) and 45auto(325s) do it. First time I’ve seen a 22 do it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great, now where's that 642? I gotta say, I love the option for pocket carry and as a backup but not impressed with the insides, and now the frame might crack? I like to carry some Underwood in it for a good hard first hit but now....
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Great, now where's that 642? I gotta say, I love the option for pocket carry and as a backup but not impressed with the insides, and now the frame might crack? I like to carry some Underwood in it for a good hard first hit but now....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is where still pinning the barrel would have been very helpful because it negates the need to over-tighten the barrel to the frame to keep it from loosening. [along with proper threading methods and measurements]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. My bug is a 438. I’ve never thought twice about anything going wrong with it but I only run plain ol winchester white box 38s in it.  Then again I train for head shots so a plain ol bullet is all I need in that one

Which along with my plain ol bullet theory is why I don’t convert Smith 38 j frames to 9mm. The 38 smith frame isn’t made to take the pressure of 9mm. 9mm is basically the same pressure as 357.

Smith 357 frames are scandium or stainless or steel so they can handle the additional pressures of the 357. Both the 9mm and 357 have the same maximum pressure of 35,000 psi as defined by SAAMI.

If the aluminum frame would handle 357 then smith would surely make an aluminum 357 which would be the same retail price as the 38 only models. The only difference is cylinder reamed for 357 or 38, aside from frame material.  Would be a win win sell more guns for smith.

I have an extra cylinder for my 438. Bought a titanium one just cause I like titanium. Buts it’s chambered for 357 which I’d never use 357 in my 438 cause I know better.  At my place it’s not a big deal since I don’t have any 357 at all. Only other wheel gun cartridge round here is 44mag. I don’t loan that gun out either for that reason.

Sorry for the ramble. I like smith revolvers and talking about em if y’all can’t tell

Back to the crack thing

Not all crack. Not even close. And there’s really no rhym or reason when they do crack.  As mentioned by myself and others the suspected culprit is overtorqueing the barrel. It’s the only thing that can really make sense in that area. But if a consistent over torque was the only factor all would do it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I know. My bug is a 438. I’ve never thought twice about anything going wrong with it but I only run plain ol winchester white box 38s in it.  Then again I train for head shots so a plain ol bullet is all I need in that one

Which along with my plain ol bullet theory is why I don’t convert Smith 38 j frames to 9mm. The 38 smith frame isn’t made to take the pressure of 9mm. 9mm is basically the same pressure as 357.

Smith 357 frames are scandium or stainless or steel so they can handle the additional pressures of the 357. Both the 9mm and 357 have the same maximum pressure of 35,000 psi as defined by SAAMI.

If the aluminum frame would handle 357 then smith would surely make an aluminum 357 which would be the same retail price as the 38 only models. The only difference is cylinder reamed for 357 or 38, aside from frame material.  Would be a win win sell more guns for smith.

I have an extra cylinder for my 438. Bought a titanium one just cause I like titanium. Buts it’s chambered for 357 which I’d never use 357 in my 438 cause I know better.  At my place it’s not a big deal since I don’t have any 357 at all. Only other wheel gun cartridge round here is 44mag. I don’t loan that gun out either for that reason.

Sorry for the ramble. I like smith revolvers and talking about em if y’all can’t tell

Back to the crack thing

Not all crack. Not even close. And there’s really no rhym or reason when they do crack.  As mentioned by myself and others the suspected culprit is overtorqueing the barrel. It’s the only thing that can really make sense in that area. But if a consistent over torque was the only factor all would do it.

Unless just the ones that do it had to get torqued so far to be able to close the BC gap far enough to be in spec that it has created a problem in just those individual guns.  

Since I’m pretty sure based on the new manufacturing of smiths vs the old hand fit smiths they are not facing the forcing cone after barrel install to set the BC gap.
View Quote

Where did you get the titanium cylinder?  I want a brace of 3" bbl 9mms, 649 and Centennial frames, w/ titanium short cylinders to improve the DA pull.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Where did you get the titanium cylinder?  I want a brace of 3" bbl 9mms, 649 and Centennial frames, w/ titanium short cylinders to improve the DA pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back to the crack thing

Unless just the ones that do it had to get torqued so far to be able to close the BC gap far enough to be in spec that it has created a problem in just those individual guns.  

Since I’m pretty sure based on the new manufacturing of smiths vs the old hand fit smiths they are not facing the forcing cone after barrel install to set the BC gap.

I ordered it from midway a few years ago. Think Midwest Gunworks may also have them
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I checked mine when the last post about this popped up(Might have been on the S&W forums?).  Both of mine are no dash guns and solid.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]
What year was it manufactured?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the PSA!  I checked my 617-6 and there's no crack, however, it does get a lot of lead build up above the forcing cone.  I'll call S&W to see what they can do about that.  I always just assumed the lead build up was how that gun rolled with lead ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top