Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2023 8:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USPguy]
Found a helluva deal on GB for one of these. 17rd mags x 3, so I don't have to buy any new baseplates for a +2/+3 or whatever. (Walther sells the baseplate & spring for a mere $85ea. Yes, $85ea for a SINGLE mag baseplate & spring. Jesus.)

I got to hold one at a gun shop back in Dec & it's never left my thoughts. Simply an incredible feeling gun, IMO.

GB pic of the one I bought:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the aluminum +2 extensions, they're $60 from Walther, but can be found in the $40 range from different retailers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:
Get the aluminum +2 extensions, they're $60 from Walther, but can be found in the $40 range from different retailers.
View Quote

This model comes with the +2 baseplates already on it.................  
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

This model comes with the +2 baseplates already on it.................  
View Quote

I understand that part.  Personally I like having more than 3 mags and the 15 round PPQ mags won't work with the mag funnel, so you either need to buy the mags that already have the +2 plates or buy 15 round PPQ mags and add +2 plates.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#4]

I understand that part.  Personally I like having more than 3 mags and the 15 round PPQ mags won't work with the mag funnel, so you either need to buy the mags that already have the +2 plates or buy 15 round PPQ mags and add +2 plates.
View Quote

Yeah, I like having 4-5-6 mags per gun myself as well. If you have some links for the cheaper base plates, I'd love to have them. I googled up Walther parts & found Taylor Freelance base plates. Aside from them & Walther, I got nada.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Yeah, I like having 4-5-6 mags per gun myself as well. If you have some links for the cheaper base plates, I'd love to have them. I googled up Walther parts & found Taylor Freelance base plates. Aside from them & Walther, I got nada.
View Quote

I bought some off Gunbroker, not this seller though.  Price is $43.80.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/972323635

I messaged these guys to see if their base plates work with the magwell, but never heard back.  They are a cheaper option if they do fit with the magwell.  I might try one at some point, before I switch magwells/baseplates.  Price is $39.99.

https://shop.springerprecision.com/ppq-q5-steel-ez-140mm-basepad/

According to Walther, the Taylor Freelance extensions do not work with the Aluminum PRO magwell.  I've considered switching to the TF magwell since it's not that expensive and the base plates can be found cheaper.  I like to haver 12-15 mags per gun, so those extensions will get pricey for me.

https://waltherarms.com/taylor-freelance-ppq-6-competition-magazine-basepad-with-spring-black

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have that guns baby brother, the Q4SF.  To say I'm smitten with it would be an understatement.    In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By USMC_JA:
I have that guns baby brother, the Q4SF.  To say I'm smitten with it would be an understatement.    In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this.
View Quote

Nice looking!

How is its accuracy?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:49:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#8]

Nice looking!

How is its accuracy?
View Quote

Thanks.

Superior to the G19 and former G34.  On par with my Beretta 92s.  In other words, more accurate than I am.  Where the gun really shines is in the feel, build quality, and shootability.  Everything about the gun just feels "right".

A couple of additional thoughts:  the trigger out of the box was superior to any other striker fired gun I've owned except one:  the PDP Pro with Walther Dynamic trigger.  But it has gotten notably better as Ive shot the gun.  Its a fine trigger.  Second, check out Taylor Freelance for your parts.  He actually has some in stock.  And his CS is top notch. As an example, I placed an online order with them for some parts for my PDP Pro recently.  I got a phone call the next day from Taylor himself as he had some thoughts about the parts combo I ordered.  We talked it through and his advice was sound.  So, we changed up the order a bit, he knocked off a few bucks, and put my parts in the mail.  Simply because he was paying attention and took the time to call me, I avoided wasting some time and money.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Superior to the G19 and former G34.  On par with my Beretta 92s.  In other words, more accurate than I am.  Where the gun really shines is in the feel, build quality, and shootability.  Everything about the gun just feels "right".

A couple of additional thoughts:  the trigger out of the box was superior to any other striker fired gun I've owned except one:  the PDP Pro with Walther Dynamic trigger.  But it has gotten notably better as Ive shot the gun.  Its a fine trigger.  Second, check out Taylor Freelance for your parts.  He actually has some in stock.  And his CS is top notch. As an example, I placed an online order with them for some parts for my PDP Pro recently.  I got a phone call the next day from Taylor himself as he had some thoughts about the parts combo I ordered.  We talked it through and his advice was sound.  So, we changed up the order a bit, he knocked off a few bucks, and put my parts in the mail.  Simply because he was paying attention and took the time to call me, I avoided wasting some time and money.
View Quote

So will my Pro have this better trigger or is it certain Pro models only?

I've buzzed the Taylor Freelance web site for a bit already. They seem to be high quality stuff, for sure. Glad to hear their CS is on par as well.

Today I ordered two 17rd mags from Walther @ $79ea.  They must be taking their pricing advice from H&K?

The Taylor Freelance base plates won't fit the Walther OEM mag well, you have to use theirs. So buying the two expensive mags was the cheapest route for me to take.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#10]

So will my Pro have this better trigger or is it certain Pro models only?

I've buzzed the Taylor Freelance web site for a bit already. They seem to be high quality stuff, for sure. Glad to hear their CS is on par as well.

Today I ordered two 17rd mags from Walther @ $79ea.  They must be taking their pricing advice from H&K?

The Taylor Freelance base plates won't fit the Walther OEM mag well, you have to use theirs. So buying the two expensive mags was the cheapest route for me to take.
View Quote

Your gun will have the same trigger as Q4SF.  That is why Im giving you the heads up that it will "shoot in" as you run the gun....particularly the reset.  Once broken in, its short and fast.  The Walther Dynamic Trigger, on the other hand, is flat faced and comes standard on the PDP Pro.  I like it better and am going to pick one up as soon as they are back in stock for my Q4SF:  Dynamic Trigger

Walther mags are a hot mess.  Between the pricing and the obscure and confusing compatibility, its pricey and complicated to get the right ones.  One of the things I placed on my order with Taylor Freelance was new baseplates for 3 mags.  I have PDP mags...but they wont fit my gun with the magwell because the baseplates wont allow it.  Instead of Walther designing a magwell to to generically fit all PDP mags, they only fit certain mag plates.  Silly.  And stupid.

Good thing the rest of the gun makes up for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Your gun will have the same trigger as Q4SF.  That is why Im giving you the heads up that it will "shoot in" as you run the gun....particularly the reset.  Once broken in, its short and fast.  The Walther Dynamic Trigger, on the other hand, is flat faced and comes standard on the PDP Pro.  I like it better and am going to pick one up as soon as they are back in stock for my Q4SF:  Dynamic Trigger

Walther mags are a hot mess.  Between the pricing and the obscure and confusing compatibility, its pricey and complicated to get the right ones.  One of the things I placed on my order with Taylor Freelance was new baseplates for 3 mags.  I have PDP mags...but they wont fit my gun with the magwell because the baseplates wont allow it.  Instead of Walther designing a magwell to to generically fit all PDP mags, they only fit certain mag plates.  Silly.  And stupid.

Good thing the rest of the gun makes up for it.
View Quote

What magwell do you have?  I'm under the impression that the TF baseplates won't work with the Walther Aluminum magwell.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#12]

What magwell do you have?  I'm under the impression that the TF baseplates won't work with the Walther Aluminum magwell.
View Quote

Walther clearly says this on their parts web page.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Walther clearly says this on their parts web page.
View Quote

I have the factory original mag well that comes standard with the PDP Pro. It won’t fit standard PDP mags. Which is absurd.  It does fit those mags with Taylor Freelance baseplates. He designed them to fit.

He has a video on the issue.  I’ll link it later if you can’t find it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I have the factory original mag well that comes standard with the PDP Pro. It won’t fit standard PDP mags. Which is absurd.  It does fit those mags with Taylor Freelance baseplates. He designed them to fit.

He has a video on the issue.  I’ll link it later if you can’t find it.
View Quote

I believe that is the same magwell I have on my Q5.  It also does not work with the standard plastic baseplates.  According to Walther's website the Taylor Freelance baseplates don't work with the aluminum magwell, curious to know if that's not the case.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#15]

I believe that is the same magwell I have on my Q5.  It also does not work with the standard plastic baseplates.  According to Walther's website the Taylor Freelance baseplates don't work with the aluminum magwell, curious to know if that's not the case.
View Quote

I'll post them up when I receive them in the mail so we can solve this riddle together.

Can confirm standard factory 18 round baseplates do not work with the magwell.

ETA: NOTE:  This mag extension will fit the Walther PDP "PRO".
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Got the gun today, finally. 2 day air turned out to be FOUR days. Jesus.  

Beautiful gun! Well balanced, grip feels wonderful with my large hands. Look forward to shooting it.

Fiber optic front sight, helps with my 64 year old eyes. Ported barrel/slide, which with standard 9mm won't amount to much, IMO. Optic plate, but not sure if I'll mount one. Trigger is NICE!!!!!

Sorry for the awful pics. Cell phone instead of my Nikon. Ah, well.

What came with the gun:

Attachment Attached File

Trigger:

Attachment Attached File

15rd mag with +2 extension. You can see in the first pic how it sticks out from the mag well. Normal 15rd mags would probably be a bugger to seat, never mind pull out by hand. I've ordered two more mags from Walther, giving me a total of five. Should be enough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats.  Thats a fine looking gun.  I know she will serve you well.

My TF baseplates and extensions came in and they work perfectly with my PDP Pro.   Seat securely, consistent lock back, and high quality.  I would not hesitate to contact them about mags or baseplates for your new Q5.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Love mine. Just ordered a tungsten guide rod for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top