Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 11:54:05 PM EDT
I have a romeo 1 I would like to put on my sc but it is not cut for it.

My questions are:

1) Will it fit?

2) Is this something that can be done by any competent machinist or do you need to be a machinist who does this for a living?

3) Are the dimensions for the cut readily available for anyone to have? If so, a link would be greatly appreciated.

4) What is a fair price to have the slide milled?

5) Do you need special tools to install the optic after having the slide milled?

6) Would I be better served to try and find a slide that is optic ready?

I haven't done any hard looking for the slide but I did try and find a railed grip module for it and the places I looked were all sold out    and since the model is discontinued, I don't believe SIG is making them anymore.

Any links to shops to do the work and any places/forums to buy parts (besides the obvious, Brownells, Midway) would be awesome.
TIA
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
may be able to get a slide from Sig, but Romeo 1 and Romeo 1 Pro sights have different mounting patterns, so make sure of what you have and what you get be it a SIG slide or aftermarket.

a little confused by your question about the grip module though. not sure what you are wanting or need there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
may be able to get a slide from Sig, but Romeo 1 and Romeo 1 Pro sights have different mounting patterns, so make sure of what you have and what you get be it a SIG slide or aftermarket.

a little confused by your question about the grip module though. not sure what you are wanting or need there.
View Quote

My gun does not have a rail and I've seen these Grip modules but everywhere I looked they are sold out and discontinued from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My gun does not have a rail and I've seen these Grip modules but everywhere I looked they are sold out and discontinued from the factory.
View Quote

The subcompact grip modules are becoming scarce.  

Sub compact grip railed module/ OD green
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a romeo 1 I would like to put on my sc but it is not cut for it.

My questions are:

1) Will it fit?

2) Is this something that can be done by any competent machinist or do you need to be a machinist who does this for a living?

3) Are the dimensions for the cut readily available for anyone to have? If so, a link would be greatly appreciated.

4) What is a fair price to have the slide milled?

5) Do you need special tools to install the optic after having the slide milled?

6) Would I be better served to try and find a slide that is optic ready?

I haven't done any hard looking for the slide but I did try and find a railed grip module for it and the places I looked were all sold out    and since the model is discontinued, I don't believe SIG is making them anymore.

Any links to shops to do the work and any places/forums to buy parts (besides the obvious, Brownells, Midway) would be awesome.
TIA
View Quote

What I would do if I had what you have :

Sell the Romeo1
It does not have a very good track record for being durable. I certainly would not have a slide milled for it. (it's old tech)
You don't mill for an almost obsolete sight and footprint.

If I wanted a SIG optic, I would get a Romeo1 Pro. It's the improved version of what you have and it has a more Universal Footprint.
That is very important, because when you are milled for R1P, Leupold Delta Point Pro and Trijicon RMR (with drill and tap) will also fit the milling. Very nice to have the choice of different optics. This is called "future proofing".

OK, you have the sub-compact.
That means that you have the 3.6" barrel/slide system.
A very nice grip module that fits your slide like a glove is called the "X-Compact" grip module.
I'm not going to Search it for you, you can do that.
DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH X-Carry, THAT IS A DIFFERENT MODULE.

Finally, you should send your slide out for optic milling to a shop that specializes in this task.
I would not use a local, garden-variety machinist.

The shops that get high praise around here for their optic milling work are : (in no particular order)

Jagerwerks
ATEi
L & M Precision
Primary Machine
Maple Leaf

Check their websites for pricing and lead times.

I will leave you with a pic of a very sexy "X-Compact" sporting a Gray Guns X-Compact grip module.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

TIA
View Quote

The SC grip modules are occasionally available on Gunbroker.com.  You’ll probably want to educate yourself on the generations that are out there before buying anything.  Click the link and scroll down to “Details”.  Click that and watch the video.

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-p250-p320-sub-compact-medium-9mm-40-s-w-357-grip-shell-grip-mod-sc-943-m-blk.html

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone for the help.

After doing some research and heeding the advice, I'm going to buy a railed grip module, put a light on it and live with the irons.

Probably sell the R1 and look for a deal on an RMR.

I have 2 of the subcompacts, so it looks like the other will go up for sale or trade towards either a sc or carry model with a slide already milled.

I was hoping to set up my sc with a light and RDS, figuring even with both, it would still be lighter and more comfortable for EDC than my G30.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What I would do if I had what you have :

Sell the Romeo1
It does not have a very good track record for being durable. I certainly would not have a slide milled for it. (it's old tech)
You don't mill for an almost obsolete sight and footprint.

If I wanted a SIG optic, I would get a Romeo1 Pro. It's the improved version of what you have and it has a more Universal Footprint.
That is very important, because when you are milled for R1P, Leupold Delta Point Pro and Trijicon RMR (with drill and tap) will also fit the milling. Very nice to have the choice of different optics. This is called "future proofing".

OK, you have the sub-compact.
That means that you have the 3.6" barrel/slide system.
A very nice grip module that fits your slide like a glove is called the "X-Compact" grip module.
I'm not going to Search it for you, you can do that.
DO NOT CONFUSE IT WITH X-Carry, THAT IS A DIFFERENT MODULE.

Finally, you should send your slide out for optic milling to a shop that specializes in this task.
I would not use a local, garden-variety machinist.

The shops that get high praise around here for their optic milling work are : (in no particular order)

Jagerwerks
ATEi
L & M Precision
Primary Machine
Maple Leaf

Check their websites for pricing and lead times.

I will leave you with a pic of a very sexy "X-Compact" sporting a Gray Guns X-Compact grip module.

https://i.postimg.cc/HsqBw8bh/Gray-Guns-X-Compact.png
View Quote

Damn that is sexy. That is what I want, with a RDS. Beautiful gun!

FYI, Primary Machine specifically states they don't mill for SIG optics.

Hell, none of them even listed the R1 as an option. Lol
I'm sure you could have it done, just have to call

Thanks for the info on the grip modules. They get real confusing with the "carry/compact" and then add the "X" in the mix and a guy could quite easily end up with something that doesn't fit.

Please tell me if I have this correct. When first released, the 320 came in sc, carry and full size. Then shortly after the release of the 365, SIG discoed the sc and changed the "carry" model to the "compact".

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The SC grip modules are occasionally available on Gunbroker.com.  You’ll probably want to educate yourself on the generations that are out there before buying anything.  Click the link and scroll down to “Details”.  Click that and watch the video.

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-p250-p320-sub-compact-medium-9mm-40-s-w-357-grip-shell-grip-mod-sc-943-m-blk.html

View Quote

Great info. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn that is sexy. That is what I want, with a RDS. Beautiful gun!

FYI, Primary Machine specifically states they don't mill for SIG optics.

Hell, none of them even listed the R1 as an option. Lol
I'm sure you could have it done, just have to call

Thanks for the info on the grip modules. They get real confusing with the "carry/compact" and then add the "X" in the mix and a guy could quite easily end up with something that doesn't fit.

Please tell me if I have this correct. When first released, the 320 came in sc, carry and full size. Then shortly after the release of the 365, SIG discoed the sc and changed the "carry" model to the "compact".

Thanks for all the help.
View Quote

Note the magazine size and the slide/barrel length when sorting through the various grip modules.
Those are the two "determining factors"

For example...
The "X-Compact" grip module will match up nicely with your 3.6" slide (like pic above) but you will have to get some 15 round magazines for the new "grip length".

Other than OEM, there are two other very nice grip modules to look at :

Gray Guns (in pic above) - I believe that these are laser-sculpted X-modules
Wilson Combat - These are like a blend of a standard module and an X-module (have the WC "starburst" grip pattern)

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Note the magazine size and the slide/barrel length when sorting through the various grip modules.
Those are the two "determining factors"

For example...
The "X-Compact" grip module will match up nicely with your 3.6" slide (like pic above) but you will have to get some 15 round magazines for the new "grip length".

Other than OEM, there are two other very nice grip modules to look at :

Gray Guns (in pic above) - I believe that these are laser-sculpted X-modules
Wilson Combat - These are like a blend of a standard module and an X-module (have the WC "starburst" grip pattern)

View Quote

When I was looking around, I noticed the warning on the OEM modules (I believe) about the different baseplates but missed the 15rd part. I would consider this another upgrade and market it as such.

Doesn't bother me to have to buy bigger mags.

Do you know if SIG produced the sc with an optics cut from the factory?

I should probably look for a SIG forum and join. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When I was looking around, I noticed the warning on the OEM modules (I believe) about the different baseplates but missed the 15rd part. I would consider this another upgrade and market it as such.

Doesn't bother me to have to buy bigger mags.

I should probably look for a SIG forum and join. Any suggestions?
View Quote

SigTalk has the most traffic and knowledgeable people.
I'm on there.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The X Compact / Pro Compact is the old SC slide, so 'yes'?  Sort of.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The X Compact / Pro Compact is the old SC slide, so 'yes'?  Sort of.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
Am I correct in thinking that either of those will be a drop in replacement with no "fitting" required?

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you bought one of the 3.6" slides w/ the optic cut?  Sure, run right on your existing sub compact setup w/ no fitting required.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Another question. Lol

If I bought what is in this Sale AD (minus the light), correct grip module and guide rod. I can take the internals (I believe) of my sc and turn it into the carry size.

The carry size seems to open up A LOT more options and inventory to choose from.

I understand this doesn't help with the optic situation. I'm just trying figure out what parts sell for normally on here and start watching for some deals. I'm in no hurry as neither of my sc are my EDC.

Thanks for all the help.
David

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a good deal for slide and barrel.  Your internals will move right over no problem.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's a good deal for slide and barrel.  Your internals will move right over no problem.
View Quote

Apparently, sold pretty fast. Lol

Just to clarify, do you need a different length guide rod for each length of barrel or are they interchangeable between lengths?

Thank you for the info,
David

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Right.  Different guide rods, 5", 4.7", 3.9", and 3.6" barrels.  

Given the price of a slide/barrel/guide rod, you might consider a Sig Red Box deal and get a complete gun for a pretty good price and then have parts left over for 'projects'.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Right.  Different guide rods, 5", 4.7", 3.9", and 3.6" barrels.  

Given the price of a slide/barrel/guide rod, you might consider a Sig Red Box deal and get a complete gun for a pretty good price and then have parts left over for 'projects'.  
View Quote

Damn you man! You trying to get me divorced?

This platform might as well be called the AR320. SO many options!

Where might one find these Red Box deals?

I have 2 of the sc models, they were bought, in haste, for a wife that now wants a revolver and a son who is now in the AF. Consequently, I now have 2 guns to modify, upgrade and learn on.

REALLY kicking myself for not buying that slide/barrel combo earlier. I was almost positive that was a smoking deal.

I am thinking about throwing $40 at This mount, seems like an inexpensive way to make sure I like a dot on a handgun. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate you taking time to help me out.

David
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the P320 Subcompact and went with a Vortex Viper. The slide was milled by Mod 1 Firearms out of Nicholasville, Ky and they added the suppressor height night sights.  I added the railed grip module after I had the RDS installed.  Great carry gun and I love the RDS setup on the subcompact.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have the P320 Subcompact and went with a Vortex Viper. The slide was milled by Mod 1 Firearms out of Nicholasville, Ky and they added the suppressor height night sights.  I added the railed grip module after I had the RDS installed.  Great carry gun and I love the RDS setup on the subcompact.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/321915/471BB1FC-CBD2-46BB-A159-A4D39DB6C18C_jpe-1450785.JPG
View Quote

Nice gun. Two tone is starting to grow on me.

I already have an R1, so I figured for $40 I could make sure I like a dot on a pistol. I have not been able to find any bad reviews on it. The few one star ones all were about it not fitting on the M17.

If I do like it, then it will become a search for a deal on RMR and either a new slide or a mill job. Then module, light and holster.

I will need to research the different dots on the RMR. For some reason, the green triangle seems intriguing to me.

Are the suppressor height sights used for a cowitness reason? Is this a preference or pretty much industry standard?

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the mill job set you back?

Thanks,
David

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice gun. Two tone is starting to grow on me.

I already have an R1, so I figured for $40 I could make sure I like a dot on a pistol. I have not been able to find any bad reviews on it. The few one star ones all were about it not fitting on the M17.

If I do like it, then it will become a search for a deal on RMR and either a new slide or a mill job. Then module, light and holster.

I will need to research the different dots on the RMR. For some reason, the green triangle seems intriguing to me.

Are the suppressor height sights used for a cowitness reason? Is this a preference or pretty much industry standard?

If you dont mind me asking, how much did the mill job set you back?

Thanks,
David

View Quote

I think I would like the green triangle or the circle dot like the Holosun has.  I don't know if the suppressor sights are needed but they are used as a backup or you could co-witness with them.  On mine, the dot sits just above the front sight so it is more of a co-witness.  I paid $125 for the slide cut plus $50 for the Cerakote on the slide. The sights are Ameriglo suppressor sights and they were $85. Total was around $265 with tax.  I have no affiliation with Mod 1 and I used them since they are close and the turn-around time was less than a week but they do really good work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think I would like the green triangle or the circle dot like the Holosun has.  I don't know if the suppressor sights are needed but they are used as a backup or you could co-witness with them.  On mine, the dot sits just above the front sight so it is more of a co-witness.  I paid $125 for the slide cut plus $50 for the Cerakote on the slide. The sights are Ameriglo suppressor sights and they were $85. Total was around $265 with tax.  I have no affiliation with Mod 1 and I used them since they are close and the turn-around time was less than a week but they do really good work.
View Quote

That's not as much as I was thinking for the milling. Do you have to cerekote it because of the bare metal from the milling?

Ordered the R1 mount and an x-compact grip module tonight.

Going on the search for some 15rd mags now. That $60 each price tag on the SIG website is crazy talk. They want $10 more for 15rd than the 17rd.

Thanks for the info,
David
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]
@yankee1986

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-armscor-sig-sauer-p250-p320-m17-9mm-15-rd-magazine-p-2046.html?zenid=2anmlqm3gtfa9cb1o2ed5oraa0

Those are out of stock currently but I'm told they will be back in stock "sometime in June". I have fully tested these mags and trust them with my life. I currently have 12 of them in my load out and carry rotation. You can't beat the price. I've done business with GC LLC for years. I've never had anything but outstanding service from them.

For factory mags and a lot of P320 parts I order from OCG. Another business that has always been awesome.

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-p320-p250-compact-9mm-15rd-magazine.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@yankee1986

https://gregcotellc.com/cart/sig-sauer-magazines-c-123/actmag-armscor-sig-sauer-p250-p320-m17-9mm-15-rd-magazine-p-2046.html?zenid=2anmlqm3gtfa9cb1o2ed5oraa0

Those are out of stock currently but I'm told they will be back in stock "sometime in June". I have fully tested these mags and trust them with my life. I currently have 12 of them in my load out and carry rotation. You can't beat the price. I've done business with GC LLC for years. I've never had anything but outstanding service from them.

For factory mags and a lot of P320 parts I order from OCG. Another business that has always been awesome.

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-p320-p250-compact-9mm-15rd-magazine.html
View Quote

Thanks for the help.

Helluva lot better pricing than SIG.

Ever try the ETS mags?

Thanks again,
David
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
My personal opinion is that ETS mags are trash. I have had a few and they simply don't work. IMO I put them in the same catagory as promags.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My personal opinion is that ETS mags are trash. I have had a few and they simply don't work. IMO I put them in the same catagory as promags.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.
Looks like, as usual, you get what you pay for. Figured as much.

David
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Mill it for an RMR.

SIG handgun optics don't belong on carry guns that you trust your life to.

ATEi can mill it. They will make the cut for your exact optic, no generic cut(must buy or provide optic for them so they can measure the exact optic going on the gun). It will be a TIGHT fit, which is what you want.

https://ateiguns.com/
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The subcompact grip modules are becoming scarce.  

Sub compact grip railed module/ OD green
View Quote

Ordered. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about the Checkmate mags?

@Charlie_Foxtrot
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How about the Checkmate mags?

@Charlie_Foxtrot
View Quote

I haven't tested them. All my mags are Mec-Gar or ACT. That said I have used Checkmate Beretta mags without a problem for years, specifically the post 2010 versions. Here is a link to PF where they discuss the CM mags with the P320.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?40120-Check-Mate-P320-New-17-Round-Magazines
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top