Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2023 11:15:36 AM EDT
I saw a discussion on another forum from a year or two ago that mentioned that SIG was going to start putting the manual safety cutout on all P320 FCUs going forward, despite only offering manual safeties on the M17 and M18 models. It seems like a logical idea, to give customers the option of installing a safety, but it would also be a (small) added expense in the manufacturing process. Has anyone heard about this, or can someone with a recent production P320 check to see if the cutout is present?

I know about the conversion service offered by AB Prototype, but since that voids the SIG factory warranty, it's not an ideal option, in addition to the cost.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be smart like the 365 can have one added.

But I am a bad person to ask since I did the safety delete pin on my M18
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I called Sig and inquired if their new production of P320 FCU had the milled out opening on the right side for the installation of the manual safety?

I was told NO.  I inquired why they sell the manual safety parts, and was told they sold them as replacement parts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, that's pretty much the answer I expected. The point about the "spare parts" for the manual safety is a little questionable, since I can't see those components failing easily, but at least they make all their P320 parts available.

I've decided to stick with the manual safety since I've gotten used to it with the military pistol models and kind of like it now. I'd like to try other P320s, including the new 10mm models, but I'm not inclined to buy them if I can't easily convert them without voiding the warranty.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Just an option but you could buy the P320 80% jig and drill the pin holes for the safety yourself.
https://uspatriotarmory.com/product/80-sig-sauer-jig-p320-compatible-mup-1
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redgineer] [#5]
Just a guess, but doing the manual safety cut will probably reduce production costs. The extra time/energy/labor to drill a couple of extra holes in the CNC mill is probably less than how long it takes to stop production and program the mills to not drill the holes.

It will also simplify logistics and inventory.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 8:59:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#6]
Edited.  

There are a lot of manual safety produced non M series FCUs out here.  

Ya'll correct me, but isnt the P320 .45 FCU the same as the 10mm?  If so, maybe hunting down a factory P320C .45 with MS will get you a 10mm FCU swap option, and still retain that factory warranty you want.

I’ve had two MS non M series FCU's where I bought the whole gun and parted them out just for the MS FCU.

You wouldn't be the first gun guy to want it "just right" and go through the chore of a swap/part out.

Hopefully, Sig will produce a 10mm Manual Safety FCU in the future for those state(s?) (Mass?) that require a manual safety.

For your 9/40/357 non M series FCU needs, here's some I found on line now.    

FCU w MS on GB

Another in Texas.  

P320 w MS listed on Armslist

another in Mass listed on Armslist.
P320C w MS in Mass listed on Armslist.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Just an option but you could buy the P320 80% jig and drill the pin holes for the safety yourself.
https://uspatriotarmory.com/product/80-sig-sauer-jig-p320-compatible-mup-1
View Quote

I emailed JSD, and they said that the jig unfortunately doesn’t include the holes for the manual safety cutout.

Originally Posted By 11b4v:
There are a lot of manual safety produced non M series FCUs out here.  

Ya'll correct me, but isnt the P320 .45 FCU the same as the 10mm?  If so, maybe hunting down a factory P320C .45 with MS will get you a 10mm FCU swap option, and still retain that factory warranty you want.
View Quote

That’s my understanding as well. I’ve been keeping an eye on the used display at my local shop. They get quite a few “new” ones in every week, especially now during the holidays. I’m watching for one of the manual safety .45 compacts that came out a few years back.

I just can’t bring myself to buy a 9mm FCU by itself when I can part out an M18 and keep the FCU for about $150.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:47:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 11b4v:
Edited.  

[/url]
View Quote

I believe so.  I found a new X10 upper on eBay and put it on my P320 .45 acp.  Works great.  You need the mags too, of course.

Pic is my .45 FCU in an X10 grip module with the X10 slide mounted.  I cut the X10 grip dust cover back to carry length to work with my 3.9" .45 upper.

ETA:  forgot the pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
SigMechanics makes a jig to just cut the safety on a standard FCU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemqe3gMqJs
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#10]
ModGuns offers a factory safety cut FCU (apparently M17/18 takeoffs?). Comes with a polished black DLC finish which is a nice bonus IMO, but depends how you want to color-match your FCU to your grip module and to your purse I suppose. And priced in line with plain factory FCUs so double-plus good right there.

https://www.modguns.com/product/sig-sauer-p320-fcu-with-manual-safety-high-polish-dlc-finish#product_detail

Or get the kit and cut your own.

Originally Posted By 50-140:
I called Sig and inquired if their new production of P320 FCU had the milled out opening on the right side for the installation of the manual safety?

I was told NO.  I inquired why they sell the manual safety parts, and was told they sold them as replacement parts.
View Quote

Honestly, better question would have been why they make 2 different FCUs in the first place. The non safety-cut one has literally no reason to exist.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#11]
I bought the jig to add a manual safety to my P320.
There are no pin holes to drill.  
The manual safety uses a existing pin hole.

The cut you make is for the springloaded detent part.
Some of the newer fcu's have a hole in the area but mine did not.
Thats helpful cause getting the hole started sucks.
The jig helped a lot.  The bits were crap.  
It took a while to tweak the cut for smooth operation.
Its an advanced mod as full disassembly of the fcu is required.
And you are cutting for a while.
Sig mechanics has excellent assembly videos and I saved them to use as reference.
I am glad I did it but I would send my fcu off to get cut next time and assemble myself.

eta.  I agree with the above poster, there is no reason to make a non cut fcu.  I imagine the fcu is cut out of sheet steel with maybe a water jet.
Cutting the slot for the safety detent would take 5 seconds more.
I am probably wrong
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 11:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#12]
I’ll probably order the FCU safety cutout jig when it’s back in stock. I’d enjoy doing that project at some point, maybe if I find a cheap used pistol to try it on.

I was really surprised that the new M17X and M18X didn’t come with the safety cutout. It just seems logical that they would use the same FCU as the standard M17 and M18, and just leave the safety off, especially since they are doing the M17/M18 serial number prefixes. It seems like they are deliberately creating more inventory work for themselves.

This maybe a little conspiratorial, but I’m starting to think that SIG may be deliberately avoiding putting the manual safety on any of their P320s other than the base M17/M18 models (so that those match the military configuration). I wonder if they think offering the manual safety on other models might imply that there’s a need for the safety. With all the controversy (justified or not) surrounding the P320, maybe they are concerned that any suggestion that they think the manual safety could be desirable / advisable in any way would create more risk in the face of the various lawsuits they’ve been dealing with. In the case of the M17/M18, they can just point out that it matches the way the government ordered them, but with all other pistols, they can stick to the idea that the manual safety isn’t needed because the pistol design is inherently safe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#13]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I’ll probably order the FCU safety cutout jig when it’s back in stock. I’d enjoy doing that project at some point, maybe if I find a cheap used pistol to try it on.

I was really surprised that the new M17X and M18X didn’t come with the safety cutout. It just seems logical that they would use the same FCU as the standard M17 and M18, and just leave the safety off, especially since they are doing the M17/M18 serial number prefixes. It seems like they are deliberately creating more inventory work for themselves.

This maybe a little conspiratorial, but I’m starting to think that SIG may be deliberately avoiding putting the manual safety on any of their P320s other than the base M17/M18 models (so that those match the military configuration). I wonder if they think offering the manual safety on other models might imply that there’s a need for the safety. With all the controversy (justified or not) surrounding the P320, maybe they are concerned that any suggestion that they think the manual safety could be desirable / advisable in any way would create more risk in the face of the various lawsuits they’ve been dealing with. In the case of the M17/M18, they can just point out that it matches the way the government ordered them, but with all other pistols, they can stick to the idea that the manual safety isn’t needed because the pistol design is inherently safe.
View Quote

I was surprised to see that as well. I figured it might just be some arbitrary rule at Sig that "X-series" aren't "supposed to" have safeties. But then they offer X series modules with safety cuts. So IDK. There's really no logic or direction to what Sig does with their product line-up. They just kinda throw random shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Perhaps? But then it could easily be argued why didn't Sig take an example from our wise and esteemed government and make all P320s with a manual safety like the military ones? Considering we haven't heard anything about military 320s having issues. Clearly they're penny-pinching and negligent.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I am surprised as it is easy enough to just slap the safety delete pin in the safety FCU.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Would those of you that have purchased P320s recently mind checking to see if SIG has added the safety cutout to the FCU? I’m guessing they haven’t, but thought I’d check.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Would those of you that have purchased P320s recently mind checking to see if SIG has added the safety cutout to the FCU? I’m guessing they haven’t, but thought I’d check.
View Quote

I just bought a 320 FCU made in Dec 23’ no cutout unfortunately. It is one of those Sig things that just doesn’t make sense. They got it right on the P365 but then they still have two different FCUs for the 320. I’m on the fence when it comes to the safety. I can’t take them or leave them however some builds just don’t look right without the manual safety. The M17s and M18s as well as the Bouwer 1811s don’t look right without a manual safety.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MK318:
I just bought a 320 FCU made in Dec 23’ no cutout unfortunately.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback, that’s pretty much what I was expecting but am still keeping an eye on it.

I stumbled across this listing today and am curious about the XTEN now:

SIG Sauer P320 X-TEN Full-Size Grip Module, Manual Safety, Black, 10mm, 45ACP

Since I’ve seen no indication they’re offering a manual safety model, perhaps the large caliber 10mm / .45 ACP FCU has the safety cutout so the safety can be added? Not sure why else they would offer this grip module separately. Or maybe they’re only making MS models for the law enforcement market.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:02:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#18]

Thanks for the feedback, that’s pretty much what I was expecting but am still keeping an eye on it.

Since I’ve seen no indication they’re offering a manual safety model, perhaps the large caliber 10mm / .45 ACP FCU has the safety cutout so the safety can be added? Not sure why else they would offer this grip module separately. Or maybe they’re only making MS models for the law enforcement market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I just bought a 320 FCU made in Dec 23’ no cutout unfortunately.

I think the manual safety thing exsist not just for MIL/LEO but also to work around some nanny state laws as well. Still doesn’t explain why Sig has two skus for a product when they only need one.

I’ve seen a few of them done by guys on Reddit and they are saying it takes less than an hour to do. It can be done with a dremel and some files.

https://sigmech.store/products/msafe-t-p320-manual-safety-conversion-kit

(UPDATED) P320 MANUAL SAFETY CONVERSION TOOLKIT

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#19]
All 320's use the exact same 320 fcu frame. Just the ejector part is shorter on the 45 and 10mm with a wider slide release and trigger bar. I make my own 45's 10mm's by grinding them down and shaping them. Work perfect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]
It would not be hard to cut the fcu for a manual safty.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JBJR:
All 320's use the exact same 320 fcu frame. Just the ejector part is shorter on the 45 and 10mm with a wider slide release and trigger bar. I make my own 45's 10mm's by grinding them down and shaping them. Work perfect.
View Quote

On sigtalk they were discussing the addition on the safety. I asked about adding to the xten and was told yes. Was curious about the differences between the fcu's.

Just to be clear, you are saying where the safety would go is the same width between 10mm and 9mm?

Thanks. I will be adding it to my xten if that is the case
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, all fcu's are the same width. Also found that from sig talk.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:33:27 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Makes me wish Sig would do away with the fixed ejector and make that part changeable. If the ejector was removable then you could in theory go from 9mm to 10mm/45 with just a few internal FCU changes, new upper and mags. It would be nice to have one FCU that you could use 9mm, 40, 357 sig, 45, and 10mm  by just having the various parts. Make a great bug out pistol. I wish someone would make a .22 conversion kit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Back when I started building these, I  got the stripped fcu's on gun broker. The first few were about $69, I stopped buying them when they got above $99. I see they are over $200 now! I did have a store bought 320 45acp so I  could measure the ejector. I don't have a 10mm to measure, I think the ejector would be different than the 45, but I think I did read over at sig talk it's the same. Have to check, I'm really thinking I want to build a 10 now that the mag issue has been fixed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Back when I started building these, I  got the stripped fcu's on gun broker. The first few were about $69, I stopped buying them when they got above $99. I see they are over $200 now! I did have a store bought 320 45acp so I  could measure the ejector. I don't have a 10mm to measure, I think the ejector would be different than the 45, but I think I did read over at sig talk it's the same. Have to check, I'm really thinking I want to build a 10 now that the mag issue has been fixed.
View Quote

@JBJR what measurement do you need? If you show me I can measure mine. (that didn't sound good)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I need it measured from the front tip to the end(ejector).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, confirmed over on sigtalk the 45 fcu will work with 10mm! Guess I'll be putting one of these together, just need to get a slide and barrel. But, would still like to see the measurements for the 10mm ejector. They say they're the same.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Makes me wish Sig would do away with the fixed ejector and make that part changeable. If the ejector was removable then you could in theory go from 9mm to 10mm/45 with just a few internal FCU changes, new upper and mags. It would be nice to have one FCU that you could use 9mm, 40, 357 sig, 45, and 10mm  by just having the various parts. Make a great bug out pistol. I wish someone would make a .22 conversion kit.
View All Quotes

Allegedly, the 45 FCU is backwards compatible with 9mm/40/357 Sig.

Makes you wonder why then the 45 FCU isn't the one and only FCU?  Would make the gun so much more modular.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#29]
All FCU's should be .45 FCU's, and All .45 FCU's should be cut for a manual safety.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Blain:

Makes you wonder why then the 45 FCU isn't the one and only FCU?  Would make the gun so much more modular.
View Quote

Don't know about that, the ejector is shorter than the normal fcu. I'll have to drop it in one of my 9mm and 40 s&w to see if it works
Link Posted: Today 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Don't know about that, the ejector is shorter than the normal fcu. I'll have to drop it in one of my 9mm and 40 s&w to see if it works
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:

@JBJR

measured my 10mm ejector.  .570 hope that helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top