Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2018 7:31:27 PM EDT
I already have 3 H&K pistols, the HK45C, a USP 40 and a USP compact 40. My LGS had a P30 in 40S&W coming in, should go for another?

This will be another range toy, I'm all set on carry guns. This is the DA/SA version.

Whilst your here... is it safe to shoot cast bullets through a H&K?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Polyygon bore means NO CAST BULLETS.
If you can find a replacement barrel with traditional rifling then you can run cast.
I prefer a 40 S&W and I personally would love to have an H&K in a 40 S&W so if you can afford that and dont have something else you need more go for it.  The only down side I see is the magazines looking alike.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find a replacement barrel with traditional rifling then you can run cast.
I prefer a 40 S&W and I personally would love to have an H&K in a 40 S&W so if you can afford that and dont have something else you need more go for it.  The only down side I see is the magazines looking alike.
View Quote
Thank you for the input. I kinda figure cast bullets were a no go, but thought I'd ask to be certain.

I prefer the 40 as well, but most of my other 40's (Beretta, Sig, S&W, Kahr) will shoot cast bullets fine. I do have a couple of Glocks with conversion barrels, don't think I'll do that with these H&K's. I guess I'll have to buy Jacketed bullets for reloading.

There are police trade-ins on the market, look into it. Price seems pretty fair.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If price is good go for it.  I loved my P30 and regret having to sell it.  Only think I didn't like was the trigger is not as good as the USP. It has a noticeably longer reset than the USP.  It's not bad but took a little getting used to after shooting nothing but my USP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats the only 40 i own and i love it, definitely go for it!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I went for it, don't regret it.

Same grip as the VRP-9, without the sucky striker fire.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to have three glock .40s and eventually sold them all..recoil impulse sucked and I was never very accurate with them. Switched to 9mm glocks and was much happier. Ran into a good deal on a p30 light lem .40 and fo’ed. It is amazing. Super accurate and the hk handles the .40 recoil with no issues as it was designed as a 40 from the start, not a 40 jammed into a 9mm like the glock.

One of my favorite guns and I even ccw it sometimes. Says a lot about a gun if you trust your life to it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
as it was designed as a 40 from the start, not a 40 jammed into a 9mm like the glock.
View Quote
Only the USP was designed to be a 40s&w, afaik
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went for it, don't regret it.

Same grip as the VRP-9, without the sucky striker fire.
View Quote
You'll never regret a HK purchase. Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct, I wouldn’t get in the habit of shooting traditional cast bullets through a polygonal barrel. But...if you cast your own and powder coat them, that’s a different story. I have had great success shooting pc cast bullets through Glock and hk barrels with zero leading and no issues what so ever. It basically functions like a copper plated bullet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#10]
P30 in .40 is a great pistol.   I wouldn't sell mine or trade it away.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The only answer is to shoot one first see how you like it. Ive never liked .40 polymer pistols; way to much recoil.

Figured I'd try the vp40 cause the slides built like a tank. Got it out to the range and it bit the hell out of my trigger finger. Go look up hickok45s review on the vp40. He had to put a bandaid over his finger to keep shooting. Basically what happens is the frame is slapping the end of your trigger finger, and on the HKs (both vp and p30) have that trough on the inside bottom of the trigger guard. The ridge of the trough is what slaps, and it hurts like a mutherfucker. You can adjust your finger but its annoying. I traded it off.

Dont know if the p30 will do that to you, but it has the same kind of trigger guard. My 9mm p30s dont do that though. YMMV
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top