Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 7:48:06 PM EDT
After the 10mm I built, I told myself that I would never do another large frame Polymer 80.  A couple of days ago, I found a 10mm barrel and a threaded .45 barrel that I forgot I had.  The large frames are on sale at Arm or Ally ($112 for black or FDE; $105 for black as an add-on option to your order when checking out).  Ordered a black and an FDE.  Oh well, here we go again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Where do you buy your slides at?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm buying my duty gun from my agency next month.  Tempted to get one.  All parts should drop in as it is a 21sf.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do you buy your slides at?
View Quote
That is the problems we are all having, trying to find Gen 3 G20/21 slides. All I have been able to find over the last moth is either the junk Rock Slide?RWG or way overpriced OEM slides on eBay. And yes I do have a Rock Slide G23 slide and I won't buy another thing from them. The only other option is a special order and wait 5-8 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm buying my duty gun from my agency next month.  Tempted to get one.  All parts should drop in as it is a 21sf.
View Quote
Even the 21SF trigger housing needs to be modded to fit into the PF45 frame properly. Marine Gun Builder has a video about how to mod the 21SF trigger housing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even the 21SF trigger housing needs to be modded to fit into the PF45 frame properly. Marine Gun Builder has a video about how to mod the 21SF trigger housing.
View Quote

Didn't have to modify the one I built last year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just built one last month and  I did have to modify the 21SF trigger housing in order for it to fit into the frame correctly.

Here is the video from Marine Gun Builder explaining the mod and why it is needed.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is the problems we are all having, trying to find Gen 3 G20/21 slides. All I have been able to find over the last moth is either the junk Rock Slide?RWG or way overpriced OEM slides on eBay. And yes I do have a Rock Slide G23 slide and I won't buy another thing from them. The only other option is a special order and wait 5-8 weeks.
View Quote

I'm planning to just wait for Lone Wolf to get them back in stock.  That's what I did last time.  Took a few months.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm planning to just wait for Lone Wolf to get them back in stock.  That's what I did last time.  Took a few months.
View Quote
That is what I am doing too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just built one last month and  I did have to modify the 21SF trigger housing in order for it to fit into the frame correctly.

Here is the video from Marine Gun Builder explaining the mod and why it is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLQFFIk4dU
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLQFFIk4dU

Just built my PF45, had to profile the housing legs the same thickness as the rear rail to fit
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Make sure that you use the correct Gen 4 G21SF trigger housing. The Gen 3 G21 trigger housing not only needs a lot more modding but it will rock forwards and backwards on the trigger housing pin due to it being shorter.

Gen 3 G21 housing on top of the Gen 4 G21SF housing.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Waiting for slides to be available.  The FDE one will be 10mm and the black one will be .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally found a G21 slide on Ebay that was not from Rock Slide USA. It looks a lot like an unmarked Lone Wolf slide. It went together fine and passed all the safety and function tests. Now to get to the range for some live fire.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to build a dedicated 10mm.  How does the PF45 frame feel compared to the factory SF frame?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want to build a dedicated 10mm.  How does the PF45 frame feel compared to the factory SF frame?
View Quote
The Polymer 80 frames have the same grip angle as a 1911. I would say the PF45 frame is closer to a double stack 1911 as far as the grip goes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Polymer 80 frames have the same grip angle as a 1911. I would say the PF45 frame is closer to a double stack 1911 as far as the grip goes.
View Quote

Does it feel smaller?  The same?  Larger?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does it feel smaller?  The same?  Larger?
View Quote
The grip angle is the same as the 1911's I do have. The length from front to back is within 1/16"-3/32" between the two.

After measuring both, I was wrong to state that the PF45 is closer to the double stack 1911's. My Rock Island GI 1911 with stock grips is actually 1/8" thicker than the PF45. The difference is that the 1911 grip is more round on the corners while the PF45 is more square.

Here are some photos of me gripping both. I do have small hands. Yes the PF45 will feel bigger but that is due to the shape of the grip.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I finally found a G21 slide on Ebay that was not from Rock Slide USA. It looks a lot like an unmarked Lone Wolf slide. It went together fine and passed all the safety and function tests. Now to get to the range for some live fire.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/101824/PF45_1_jpg-1777155.JPG
View Quote

I just got an identical slide for the .45 on gunbroker (was your seller in Ohio?).  I agree that it looks a lot like an unmarked Lone Wolf.  If not, it's possibly a Swenson.  Waiting on my upper parts.

I had originally planned to have the slide nitrided, but I kinda' like the matte stainless now that I have it in hand.  Any opinions whether to nitride or not?  I'm open to either idea at this point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to jump off topic, but what are the issues you've seen with the Rock Slide products?  A friend put me on to them.  I just got a G19 slide, and other than they sent me a slide with $90 worth of internals, when I ordered a stripped slide, it looks pretty good.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry to jump off topic, but what are the issues you've seen with the Rock Slide products?  A friend put me on to them.  I just got a G19 slide, and other than they sent me a slide with $90 worth of internals, when I ordered a stripped slide, it looks pretty good.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

What is the problem with Rock Slide you ask???????

There is plenty wrong with them starting with their lack of quality control. Seriously do a search on the forum for Rock Slide and you will see all of the people that have had issues with them. To include the slides breaking.

On my G23 slide, the guide rod hole and firing pin hole were both machined to small and and both had to be opened up just to install parts.

I also had some serious work to do in removing burrs everywhere to include:

firing pin channel

extractor groove

extractor plunger channel

breech face

back of slide where cover goes.

I also had to excess coating on the breech face and extractor groove (along with deburr) before the OEM barrel would even fit. None of the aftermarket barrels I tried will work with this slide. I even made sure to properly hand fit some barrels and they still don't work.

Rock Slide also does not properly heat treat and temper their slides. We have had many instances where the slides have cracked or broke.

Slide crack/break right at the slide stop lever notch.

Nose of slide break around the guide rod hole

Top of slide right in front of barrel break and peel like a banana.

9 times out of ten when someone has an issue with their build and they used a slide from Rock Slide, it has been found that the slides are out of spec.

Also their customer service is very lacking when it comes to taking care of customers that receive bad slides.

So yes there is a definite and legitimate reason why the forum does not like anything from Rock Slide USA and why we tell everyone to stay away from them
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just got an identical slide for the .45 on gunbroker (was your seller in Ohio?).  I agree that it looks a lot like an unmarked Lone Wolf.  If not, it's possibly a Swenson.  Waiting on my upper parts.

https://imageshack.com/i/pmwoudj9j

I had originally planned to have the slide nitrided, but I kinda' like the matte stainless now that I have it in hand.  Any opinions whether to nitride or not?  I'm open to either idea at this point.
View Quote
I bought my slide from the eBay seller spectresupply2. And yes it shipped from Ohio. Myself and others on the Marine Gun Builder forum are beginning to think that these slides are actually made by/for Heavy Armor Division. We compared photos of a HAD slide to the one I bought and they are a closer match than the Lone Wolf slide.

Either way, Lone Wold and Heavy Armor Division slides are good quality. And they are definitely not from Swenson.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
They're made by Dasan.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My gunbroker seller was spectresupply1.  What is the consensus on Dasan?  I have a threaded Dasan barrel in my Glock 19 that I picked up in the Lone Wolf closeout sale several years ago, and I've been happy with it.  I haven't done any accuracy testing, but I have no problem hitting whatever I'm aiming at and it has functioned flawlessly with and without the AAC TiRant attached.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My gunbroker seller was spectresupply1.  What is the consensus on Dasan?  I have a threaded Dasan barrel in my Glock 19 that I picked up in the Lone Wolf closeout sale several years ago, and I've been happy with it.  I haven't done any accuracy testing, but I have no problem hitting whatever I'm aiming at and it has functioned flawlessly with and without the AAC TiRant attached.
View Quote
Generally good to go.  They were the manufacturer for LoneWolf until they opened a plant here in the US.  If you see a slide that resembles the old LW slides, it's Dasan.  Swenson, Spinta Precision, HAD, etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I know that a lot of people on the Marine Gun Builder forum like HAD slides and haven't had any issues with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought my slide from the eBay seller spectresupply2. And yes it shipped from Ohio. Myself and others on the Marine Gun Builder forum are beginning to think that these slides are actually made by/for Heavy Armor Division. We compared photos of a HAD slide to the one I bought and they are a closer match than the Lone Wolf slide.

Either way, Lone Wold and Heavy Armor Division slides are good quality. And they are definitely not from Swenson.
View Quote

Did you have any issues with installing your upper parts?  My firing pin safety is completely stuck.  Upper parts are Lone Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Upper parts are Lone Wolf.
View Quote
I found your problem
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I found your problem
View Quote

Never had a problem with them before, but I've also never put Lone Wolf parts in a non-Lone Wolf slide before.  I managed to tap the firing pin safety back out with a punch.  I just ordered a Glock OEM firing pin safety and spring.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#28]
OEM firing pin safety arrived today.  Dropped right in.  

Installed the sights today.  Rear dovetail is a little large.  Using Ameriglo sights.  Used a spring loaded punch on the bottom of the rear sight along the edge to displace just enough metal to make the sight tight in the dovetail (no tritium insert in the rear sight - I wouldn't do this with a sight that has an embedded glass vial).

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Lone Wolf has seems to have some quality control issues on their upper parts lately. I have seen several of their firing pins break right at the tip. And their channel liner is tight, not allowing the firing pin to move freely like it should.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
10mm slide arrived today.  Everything went together with no issues.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lone Wolf has seems to have some quality control issues on their upper parts lately.
View Quote
No lately about it.  LoneWolf small parts have always been garbage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
10mm slide arrived today.  Everything went together with no issues.

https://imageshack.com/i/poZVIJLnj
View Quote

Wow, that turned out really nice.

Edit: Who makes the slide?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wow, that turned out really nice.

Edit: Who makes the slide?
View Quote

Lone Wolf.  It's arrival surprised me today.  Didn't get a shipping notice, so I wasn't expecting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top