Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2019 8:14:06 PM EDT
My buddy is getting me one into his shop and I’m upgrading from an RMR to the SRO

Probably put the RMR on my shotgun.

I got to handle one at the NRA show a couple weeks back.... much better than RMR to find the dot.

Anyone else grabbing a SRO
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sticking with my rmr. Eventually down the road may consider SRO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
How bright does the SRO get on the brightest setting?

Bright enough to not wash out on steel on a sunny day?

Very tempted to buy one.  Been needing a red dot for awhile but nothing on the market seemed to check all the boxes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one on order.  I need to get my ass into gear and put my RMR v2 on the EE
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to at some point. First video I saw on the SRO, I was relieved to hear that it uses the same cut as an RMR. My one concern would be durability, since the housing design is drastically different (shaped) than the RMR's proven design. Yes, it is 7075 like the RMR but how the design distributes impact shock is what I would be concerned about (cracked/shattered lens). I do like the expanded viewing window, lack of "fishbowl" effect (from what I can tell from pics and video), minimal tint to the glass, and good battery life. It certainly is interesting and I will be following the reviews and reports.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm willing to bet a lot of money that the new SRO is not as tough as the RMR just by the shape of the shroud.  The depth or front to back lense shroud is longer, which means more material, so can be stronger, but I don't think this overcomes the actual design flaw of the circular shape imparting any impact forces directly to the lens.  I've seen a video where the SRO was racked off some surfaces and the pic showed a pretty beat up SRO, but no mention of dropping.  I think it will be tough enough for me but RMR it ain't. Hell, lord Cowen busted an Acro, soooo...
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one for the G40 but $ is tight right now so I’ll have to survive another season hiking in bear country with an RMR. There’s a problem bear in the neighborhood right now. I’d like to have the fastest sight picture possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Ordered today.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think Trijicon isn't too concerned about it being as durable as the RMR from a standpoint of direct physical abuse - they're not meant to do the same things lol.

RMR is a duty/defense optic.
SRO is clearly aimed to be a competition optic. Competition guys don't purposely drop their guns onto concrete for the sake of seeing what's going to happen...

As long as it can take the round count of the RMR (And there's no reason it won't. It's internally an identical optic), then it will work 100% fine for what they want it to do.
View Quote
Thanks Bruce!  You explained it well!  I agree and am looking forward to further testing of the SRO and how it compares to the RMR even though they are for different tasks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking forward to snagging a used RMR as people jump to upgrade. I don't need something that will survive being .mil issued. I need something that will survive the glove box of a Lexus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sticking with the RMR for now, next move will be an ACRO honestly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think Trijicon isn' too concerned about it being as durable as the RMR from a standpoint of direct physical abuse - they're not meant to do the same things lol.

SRO is clearly aimed to be a competition optic. Competition guys don't purposely drop their guns onto concrete for the sake of seeing what's going to happen...

As long as it can take the round count of the RMR (And there's no reason it won't. It's internally an identical optic), then it will work 100% fine for what they want it to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet a lot of money that the new SRO is not as tough as the RMR just by the shape of the shroud.  The depth or front to back lense shroud is longer, which means more material, so can be stronger, but I don't think this overcomes the actual design flaw of the circular shape imparting any impact forces directly to the lens.  I've seen a video where the SRO was racked off some surfaces and the pic showed a pretty beat up SRO, but no mention of dropping.  I think it will be tough enough for me but RMR it ain't. Hell, lord Cowen busted an Acro, soooo...
I don't think Trijicon isn' too concerned about it being as durable as the RMR from a standpoint of direct physical abuse - they're not meant to do the same things lol.

I spoke with the Trijicon reps at the NRA Conference and I think you may be off on this...

According to Trijicon the RMR was never designed to go on a handgun. it was designed as a small secondary optic for piggy backing with larger scopes like Acog or canted mount as a backup.

The SRO was designed from the ground up as a pistol mounted optic.

As for durability the RMR  housing design is more durable though the SRO design allows for over a ton of crush weight.

I cant think of too many situations where the SRO couldn't handle duty use.

I don't have one in my hand yet but from handling it the thing is built like a tank.

Time will tell....
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I spoke with the Trijicon reps at the NRA Conference and I think you may be off on this...

According to Trijicon the RMR was never designed to go on a handgun. it was designed as a small secondary optic for piggy backing with larger scopes like Acog or canted mount as a backup.

The SRO was designed from the ground up as a pistol mounted optic.

As for durability the RMR  housing design is more durable though the SRO design allows for over a ton of crush weight.

I cant think of too many situations where the SRO couldn't handle duty use.

I don't have one in my hand yet but from handling it the thing is built like a tank.

Time will tell....
View Quote
Trijicon reps have also stated that the RMR is what they are pushing for duty use and the SRO is being marketed towards competitors.

It doesn't matter what the RMR was designed for, it's being used a duty pistol optic and doing that job well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone got theirs yet?  I gave in and ordered the 5 moa.

Was on the fence between the 2.5 and 5.0
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, ordred one as soon as they were released.  Armsunlimited said june some sometime.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered a 2.5MOA SRO. Hard to find and I probably overpaid by $50 ($599). Screw it. I need this for July 4th and can’t wait any longer!
Excited!
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have mine Wednesday just long enough to ship it to ATEI.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll have mine Wednesday just long enough to ship it to ATEI.
View Quote
Where'd you order from? Arms doesn't know when they'll get theres.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Where'd you order from? Arms doesn't know when they'll get theres.
View Quote
Euro Optic
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Today is SRO arrival day. Now I just need an afternoon off to go play!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking forward to hearing your review

I stripped my RMR off my G34 and put it on my Benelli.... still waiting on my SRO though
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I look forward to everyone's impressions.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Arms Unlimited will be getting there's next week, Kenzie's optic has some in stock.  Mine will be here Saturday, I'm leaving a match early to just to play with them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Got er installed, but no range time yet. Seems great to me, but it’s my first RDS on a handgun. Shot quite a few HGs with RMRs, but never owned one.
Going to try n get out this weekend. Crazy something so small can cost so much!

Course my mini-ACOGs are worse in that regard!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Pics needed of course....
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got er installed, but no range time yet. Seems great to me, but it’s my first RDS on a handgun. Shot quite a few HGs with RMRs, but never owned one.
Going to try n get out this weekend. Crazy something so small can cost so much!

Course my mini-ACOGs are worse in that regard!
View Quote
This will also be my first pistol dot.  I've been on the fence for a couple years from watching friends constantly sending theirs in for repair or cussing when they went out mid match.

Probably should have waited for long term reports before buying but I'm optimistic that trijicon got it right.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Some pics:

Pretty excited about this thing.

Off to ATEi!
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I am surprised no one has posted any impressions yet.

Very curious... Show and tell time
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine were supposed to be here Saturday, usps delivered today and I'm still at work.  Soon.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Delivered to ATEI today. I'm not expecting it back for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Hol up, hol up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Noticed you were running irons forward, but now running no irons with the SRO.  How much clearance would the SRO have on the axis slim if you ran traditional irons behind optic?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Noticed you were running irons forward, but now running no irons with the SRO.  How much clearance would the SRO have on the axis slim if you ran traditional irons behind optic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A quick look and it seems the sight would probably touch or maybe have a hair of space.  I have a gap from the sight to the holster about the width of a backup iron.
I can try to get a measurement tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Broke the head off a mounting screw...

Email sent to Jagerwerks hoping they can help.

Ughhh....
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Pretty much as expected. Somewhat disappointed it bit the dust on the first drop, but didn't expect it to survive all the way through.

Still pumped about it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Oh, that's not good at all!  At least not for my purposes.  I'll stick with the RMR.  Hope a type3 RMR comes out soon with the SRO features in the classic durable body.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Oh, that's not good at all!  At least not for my purposes.  I'll stick with the RMR.  Hope a type3 RMR comes out soon with the SRO features in the classic durable body.
View Quote
Care to elaborate?  I am not wanting to be confrontational, just wondering as I am trying to learn as well!  I will be carrying one ccw unless something serious comes along to make me rethink that choice.  After seeing Aaron bounce the site off of a couple of posts for one handed stoppage drills, I feel ok to carry it.  I will not be dropping it though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Care to elaborate?  I am not wanting to be confrontational, just wondering as I am trying to learn as well!  I will be carrying one ccw unless something serious comes along to make me rethink that choice.  After seeing Aaron bounce the site off of a couple of posts for one handed stoppage drills, I feel ok to carry it.  I will not be dropping it though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe Aaron's drop test results were already serious enough to go full stop on the idea of using this on a fighting tool.   If it can't take a single drop from shoulder height without being destroyed, it isn't one I'll trust for defensive use and that's my main purpose.  Some RMRs have taken hundreds of those drops and still work perfectly.  Anything can fail, but it's about playing to the best odds that our gear will work and this shows too big a gap in durability for me to justify the small benefits the SRO offers over an RMR.  I won't presume that my gun will never be dropped or hit hard and then still need to work, because I can't forsee how my fight will go.   I'd rather have the much tougher option.  The big window is nice but the trade off is too high for me to justify it for carry.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ll just get both. I have an RMR’d g19.5, putting SRO on my 19X. Use the SRO for range / fun / comp / teaching the wife how to shoot with a RDS on a pistol. After handling an SRO at the shop I work part time at on a Glock, it seems very forgiving / easier-ish to learn / start on.

She’s having a hard time adjusting from irons to my RMR. We are both LEO’s so seems like something that would happen in the future going to RDS’s (like 10-15 years) and I want her to learn now so it’s an easier transition.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I believe Aaron's drop test results were already serious enough to go full stop on the idea of using this on a fighting tool.   If it can't take a single drop from shoulder height without being destroyed, it isn't one I'll trust for defensive use and that's my main purpose.  Some RMRs have taken hundreds of those drops and still work perfectly.  Anything can fail, but it's about playing to the best odds that our gear will work and this shows too big a gap in durability for me to justify the small benefits the SRO offers over an RMR.  I won't presume that my gun will never be dropped or hit hard and then still need to work, because I can't forsee how my fight will go.   I'd rather have the much tougher option.  The big window is nice but the trade off is too high for me to justify it for carry.
View Quote
Thank you for the explanation! I thought there may have been a different reason.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I picked up my 5MOA SRO yesterday-I shoot USPSA & Steel.

This is my 4th red dot on this gun so I think I can give it a fair shakedown.

It doesn’t look as monstrously huge when you’re holding it & when you are drawing or shooting it is not a distraction at all.

I have a steel match tonight- yesterday I made it to an indoor range and zero’d it. It has the quality and feel you expect from Trijicon.

In this instance- Im moving from an 8MOA dot to the smaller 5MOA SRO. I think this dot is about the right size. But I’ve only punched paper with it.

So far- it seems to have addressed the reasons I moved away from the RMR with 3.25MOA dot.

Im not too cheap to get my slide milled- Im too impatient to give up my slide for a few weeks.

Old Gen3 G34, standing @20yards, wally world ammo

Update after a steel match:
This is the fastest dot I have ever shot with. It just works.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ll finally be getting mine out this weekend/all next week. Wish I could quickly get it on a VP9, but there’s nothing quick about that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#46]
So after snapping off a screw....

I reached out to Jagerwerks who milled my G34 a couple years back.

They said box everything and send it to them.

Returned in under a week, everything squared away, free of charge.

Outstanding service by Jagerwerks.... I’ll send them my business again for sure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#47]
^^ Great news!
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Great customer support!
From shooting my sros a bit now, they seem to collect more schmoo than my rmrs did.  Seems obvious, but wanted to make it known, get some cat shit to wipe on them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Got this thing out for the last 2 days. Holy fun!
SRO did great in bright sun and night. Freakin tack driver. Lots of fun. I need more SROs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I have now shot a little at an indoor range, 2 steel matches and a USPSA match.
Im around 7-800 rounds I would guess.
Mine is the 5MOA dot.

On paper indoor range- it is as capable as me & my gun.

Steel- No ifs, ands or buts, -the gun has just been faster. I am no slouch and I immediately noticed quicker target acquisition and transitions

USPSA- I have lost some speed but increased my Alpha hits- Im I think because Im more able to be precise-I am. Matter of fact I shot 6 stages and across the whole day only had 2 Charlies. For some f’ing reason that match hasn't posted scores yet- but I was shooting accurately just not as fast as Im capable of.

Overall- Im happy with it. I have no intention of using it as a “fighting tool”. Or dropping it from 4 or 5 feet onto the concrete. Absolutely no flickering, and I really like the sight window.

I have another on order (backorder) through Brownells, also a 5MOA dot and I have so far been inclined to keep the 2nd one, though I now have 3 other RMR’s in the safe.

If you want to play the shooting “games” USPSA, Steel, 3 gun as far as I can tell its a nice upgrade from the RMR and I like it!

Another steel match Wednesday and I plan to press the speed more aggressively than I have been up to this point.

They took the best aspects of a C-More for an open gun and “Trijicon’d it”.

Being the 5MOA it has gotten lots of attention at the matches I’ve shot- others seem impressed with draw/view but that could just be guys being friendly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top