Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2023 5:38:26 AM EDT
I really like the looks of the PPK. Anyone have any success with this gun? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Bersa Thunder and save yourself 400$.

I had one and liked it at the time, but there are a lot better options nowadays. A few things to note:

- Gun is heavy and wide if you are planning to cc
- Single stack in 2023
- Slide will bite your hand if you aren't careful
- Snappy as hell to shoot
- on the Bersa the barrel is attached to the frame, I'm assuming Walther is the same

My 2¢.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:24:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#2]
I have a post recall Smalther.  Reliable, surprisingly accurate.  Also surprisingly heavy, pocket carry isn't very practical.  Snappy, as many 380's are.  A classic design, groundbreaking in many ways.  Is it a practical carry option in today's market?  Honestly no.  I do carry it on occasion but it's not part of the normal rotation.

Double action trigger is stiff and there isn't much you can do about it.  Single is quite nice.  Takedown is easy.  Mag release is in the proper place.  Safety takes a little getting used to.

Having said all that I like mine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the older Manhurin or German made.
Quality is king.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Whoisthatguy:
Buy the older Manhurin or German made.
Quality is king.
View Quote

This, and stick to 7.65.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a S&W built PPK.
At 74 years of age, I guess you could say I'm old fashioned, but I like it for concealed carry.
No, it is not too heavy for pocket carry. No heavier than my .357 magnum snubby.
Single stack magazine? A 1911 is single stack too, yet that doesn't seem to be a problem there.
"Snappy" recoil? Not for me it's not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It's best in its original form. My dad has an original WWII Walther PPK in 32acp and it's a sweet shooter. The S&W made ones in 380acp had lots of issues. I hear the brand new ones being made are better though.

Personally I would try and get one that's German made and imported 1967 or earlier. After that it'll be a PPK/S and not a true PPK due to the Gun Control Act of 1968.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The S&W version looks like crap with the extended beaver tail. Get yourself an Interarms version of the PPK/S longer grip, you can put Pachmayr grips and it holds an extra round. SS is preferred for the humid climates.

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandWMandP15Tee:
The S&W version looks like crap with the extended beaver tail. Get yourself an Interarms version of the PPK/S longer grip, you can put Pachmayr grips and it holds an extra round. SS is preferred for the humid climates.

View Quote

it may not look nice but the beavertail cured the slide slicing the web of the hand.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome thank you, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
First pistol I ever bought was in 1974, and it was an Interarms PPKS. It was for concealed carry. At the time it never seemed heavy, as every pistol at that time was steel. I grew up shooting double action revolvers and was used to a heavy trigger. The single action trigger on the Walther was wonderful. It was lighter than a revolver or 1911.

But things change. High capacity polymer pistols, light weight, low cost changed how we look at pistols. Ruger come out with a polymer frame revolver.

I have one of the new PPKS just because I wanted one.

The best analogy I can give you is I would love to have an XKE. Somewhat historic. Beautiful. High performance for its day, but a Mustang will blow the wheels off of it. Jags require lots of work. Mustang, change the oil and the computer will let you know if there is a problem. There are better modern cars but I would buy the Jag just to have one.

I bought a new PPKS just because I wanted one but I carry P365. If you buy one, buy it just because you want one, not because it is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought many (as in 10) of all eras.
My favorites ended up being the ones in 7.65mm (.32ACP), the original caliber it was designed for.

I bought them for I was a James Bond fan for decades.

Sold them all recently, not one left. The modern handguns shoot so much better - and more pleasantly, too.
Great nostalgia items - like for example an old watch.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a new one just because I wanted one, might not ever shoot it.

I also have a Bersa Thunder that I have shot and it is very accurate and reliable.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had 3, all .380 PPK's (not PPK/S). I really wanted to love them. They look cool and feel good in the hand... Built like a tank. But shooting them was miserable. Even with the S&W I had with the extended beavertail, the thing would bite and jump all over the place. The German one I had would leave bloody RR tracks on my hand every time. Heavy too.

I now have a P365 .380, and it feels like shooting a 22LR, and has 2x the capacity of my old PPK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROTJTKXs_Eo
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joescuba] [#14]
I like and have a Walther PPK in 32 ACP.  I find that the PPK in 32 ACP/7.65mm to be the most reliable.  If you are looking for something in 380, the I recommend a FEG SMC or a Walther PP.  Today they are better modern platforms, however, a PPK will still get the job done.  I think of the PPK as the J frame of automatics.

Regards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top