Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2023 4:15:34 PM EDT
I am a Washington resident working in Oregon. I will transport my firearm( pistol) with me to my hotel. I know it's allowable to open carry in Oregon, but how do I do that legally in my vehicle?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at Oregon law 166.250.  If you read the law for yourself, you aren't relying on someone mis-interpreting the law for you.  You can even print the law and keep it in your vehicle along with the handgun.  

I don't think it is in my best interest to rely on random people on the internet to interpret the laws for me.  I like to read the law, and read any relevant court decisions for myself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
As a former Oregonian, without a carry permit you need to keep the gun and ammunition stored separately and the gun inaccessible while driving.

As for open carry, it is state law to allow it, however local municipalities have their own rules around it. If you’re traveling to the Portland metro area, be sure to check local laws for each town you’ll be traveling through. Oregon is no longer a gun friendly state.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Outside of certain cities (Portland, Salem, Eugene) as long as it's not concealed it's fine. In those cities keep it secured in a locking container (locked glovebox works), or unloaded. If you regularly travel to Oregon it would be worthwhile to get your CHL. Multnomah County is probably one of the easier counties for out of state residents. I would recommend a lock box anchored to your vehicle for security.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Have heard Long beach and Longview to Columbia and Clatsop Co. are easier to obtain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top