Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2022 1:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567]
A few weeks ago I picked-up a lightly used Burnt Bronze DE in .44 Mag w/.50 AE barrel.  Never shooting or owning a DE, I figured I would shoot this a few times just to "try & buy" and let it go.  Yesterday I shot it for the first time.  It was one of the funnest guns I've ever shot, and will probably keep it for awhile.  And I was surprised by the lack of recoil compared to what I was expecting.

I've been reloading for it with AA#9.  I tried 21 grs. for .44 mag with a 240 gr. jacketed bullet.  And 21 grs. for .50 DE with a 300 gr. bullet.  The .44 mag worked fine, but I don't think the 21 grs. where enough for the .50AE to cycle consistently.  I was going to bump it up to 21.8 grs. for both (which is a max load for a .44 mag in some manuals, although my older manual lists 22 grs. And the starting load for .50 AE).

I know I can just adjust my powder thrower for each caliber, but does anyone use the same powder load for both .44 & .50?  Maybe move to a heavier bullet in .50 and try 21 grs. again?

This is just a range toy, so I'm not trying to put together an SD, hunting, or accurate target load.

I put this case together.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet, I have an older Israeli built DE in 50AE and titanium carbon finish. My 44mag and 50AE charges are very different,  I don't have my data available to me right now
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 10:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GarrettJ] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GarrettJ:

That's a nice looking setup you have.

I really like AA#9 for .357 and .44, but I have only used H110 when loading .50AE.  (fireballs are fun!)  That powder would absolutely not work for what you are trying to do.

But looking at a couple load manuals, you should be able to get a .44/.50 load that uses the same charge of AA#9.  

I have gone up to 22.0 gr. of AA#9 in .44 with a 240 gr. bullet with no issues.  The Lyman 50th lists 23.5 gr. of AA#9 as max load, so you should still have some headroom.  

As you noted, you could go to a heavier bullet in the .50. Alternately, you could try a lighter bullet in the .44 Mag.  The Hornady 10th ed. lists AA#9 with a 200 gr. XTP, and that one goes from 20.5 gr. to 24.5 gr. of powder.  That actually matches up pretty well with the load range of a 300 gr .50AE.  Might be worth trying, and I suspect you should be able to still get the lighter bullet to cycle the gun reliably.  

That's what I'd try.  But then, I don't have any problem adjusting the powder measure.  It's still fun to see what you can get to work.

Let us know what you come up with.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I do have some 200 gr. FMJ .44 bullets I could try out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I posted this in another thread

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
I finally made it out to the range this afternoon.

I really expected the plated bullets to be a little faster than the jacketed ones but I didn't see hardly any difference between the jacketed Speer and plated xtreme bullets on the chronograph. These were start loads of Accurate #9 for 325gr jacketed and I used WLP primers.

Had an average of 1080 fps from the 6" barrel and 1220 fps from the 10". All cycled well with no malfunctions and piled the brass nicely 2' behind me to the right.
View Quote

A heavier bullet with the 50 and lighter in the 44 may help with what your trying to do.

I've only been using a Lee powder dipper and the 5-0-5 scale for my DE loads.

I did make some 44's with Accurate #9 but they were all at the lower end. Have done some top end 44's recently but those were with IMR4227. I just haven't made enough of the same load to bother with dumping the powder measure and set it up for volume loading yet, something is always different. That's what I enjoy with the desert eagle, it makes reloading feel less like work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcmacd] [#6]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
... snip

I've been reloading for it with AA#9.  I tried 21 grs. for .44 mag with a 240 gr. jacketed bullet.  And 21 grs. for .50 DE with a 300 gr. bullet.  The .44 mag worked fine, but I don't think the 21 grs. where enough for the .50AE to cycle consistently.  I was going to bump it up to 21.8 grs. for both (which is a max load for a .44 mag in some manuals, although my older manual lists 22 grs. And the starting load for .50 AE).

I know I can just adjust my powder thrower for each caliber, but does anyone use the same powder load for both .44 & .50?  Maybe move to a heavier bullet in .50 and try 21 grs. again?

This is just a range toy, so I'm not trying to put together an SD, hunting, or accurate target load.

https://i.imgur.com/RYX4xrU.jpg

I put this case together.

https://i.imgur.com/LNci6bW.jpg
View Quote

The very most accurate load I have for my 44 DE is a 303 grain (as weighed) blem JHP (certainly a Hornady) over 17 grains of AA#9.  It's a pussycat, accurate as hell, and when zeroed at 25 yards is also zeroed at 100 due to the arc of the trajectory.  It is probably ~2" high at 50 yards, so, you are dialed in for minute of torso from the muzzle to the 100 yard line.  This would make a fine hunting round.

This load had an extreme spread of SEVEN FPS (!) for ten rounds over an Oehler 35P.  I've loaded for all manner of calibers and NEVER had ANYTHING with this small a velocity spread.  CCI 350 primer.  Random lot pickup brass of RP headstamp.

I can shoot this load offhand in the DE all day long, and I don't have large hands.  

25 rounds of that load in my long barrelled S&W 629 would be enough fun for the week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top