Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2023 3:13:28 PM EDT
I bought paddle OWB holsters for a 19 and a 43x.  The handle just kind of flops to side somewhat.  I bought a new wider, stiff, thicker belt in anticipation of this, but it didn't seem to help.  I'm guessing the holster is most likely the issue.  I like one that I can put on and take off quickly.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought paddle OWB holsters for a 19 and a 43x.  The handle just kind of flops to side somewhat.  I bought a new wider, stiff, thicker belt in anticipation of this, but it didn't seem to help.  I'm guessing the holster is most likely the issue.  I like one that I can put on and take off quickly.  Any suggestions?
View Quote

Are you using an actual gun belt (i.e. a belt designed specifically for carrying a gun)?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Skip the paddle, get a holster the belt actually threads through, ones with wider spacing between the loops should be more stable.

And make sure you use a proper gun belt.

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skip the paddle, get a holster the belt actually threads through, ones with wider spacing between the loops should be more stable.

And make sure you use a proper gun belt.
View Quote

Right. Like a pancake holster, not a paddle.  Not going to go on/off in one move, but there is no free lunch out there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like I need a new holster, saw one suggestion posted, any others to consider?  Lesson learned on that!

The belt I got is pretty thick and stiff, will give a  few holster a try first and then if needed get a new belt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
T-Rex Ironside holster.

https://www.ironsideholster.com/
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The belt I got is pretty thick and stiff, will give a  few holster a try first and then if needed get a new belt.
View Quote

But is it a an actual gun belt?  If not then start there. It doesn't matter how thick and stiff you might think it is, if it's not a real gun belt then you need to get one.  Trust us on this.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But is it a an actual gun belt?  If not then start there. It doesn't matter how thick and stiff you might think it is, if it's not a real gun belt then you need to get one.  Trust us on this.
View Quote

Any suggestions on belts too?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Never had a problem with any of my Safariland paddles.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
CQC/S or the Ritchie Leather equivalent.

DSC_0029 by FredMan, on Flickr

HKCQC_S2 by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_0544 by FredMan, on Flickr

VP9 CQC/S by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sounds like I need a new holster, saw one suggestion posted, any others to consider?  Lesson learned on that!

View Quote

Safriland.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a G19 in one of these by Don Hume.  Simple and inexpensive.  Works fine with either of my belts.  Currently a Hanks Bison belt.  Previously a Crossbreed belt.

https://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_368_118&products_id=44

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are so many good ones. I personally like Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch and Blue Alpha Gear offerings. The ratcheting types (can’t think of the name) are really good too. For leather I’d ask others, I don’t know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Kramer horsehide belt scabbard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Mitch Rosen OWB model 5JR and Mitch Rosen belt. Some of the best gun leather you can buy!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]
1791 Gun Leather.  Heavy duty OWB pancake holsters.  They have thumb break or open top models.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Safariland on a duty belt.  Works good stays put.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hanks Belts and Ares Gear are the 2 best I've used. 5.11 makes some good ones. Currently using a Ferro Concepts, It's nice, but I'm going to switch back Ares.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock Sport Combat holster is what I use.   Amazingly effective, and dirt cheap.

A review of said holsters.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Milt Sparks 55BN
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#22]
My Bigfoot gun belt gets worn every day and has held up good for the several years I’ve had it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]
OP what do you have now?

Belt: ????
Holster: ?????
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#24]
No flopping problems with Raven Concealment Phantom-style OWB kydex holsters (which I still run)
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I wear this belt in a suit (w/ OWB kydex holster) almost daily for 2 years now.

I love them.

https://magpul.com/tejas-gun-belt-2-el-original.html?mp_global_color=118
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No flopping problems with Raven Concealment Phantom-style OWB kydex holsters (which I still run)
View Quote
They were my fav until Raven stopped making them. Now I use JM Custom Kydex.

I've been wearing a gun belt from TT Gunleather every day for several years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
FDO Industries Grey Man:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nelson Avenger style:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Blue Alpha Belts are my preferred.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Any thoughts on the Tulster OWB for a Glock 48 MOS?

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a KT Mech AKELA OWB duty for my all-steel CZ SP-01 Tactical.  It came  with a Blackhawk paddle, and it was a little floppy.  I swapped it for a Safariland paddle that I had since the AKELA has a universal bolt pattern.

What a difference!  The Safariland paddle was much more rigid.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#31]
There are many factors that can affect “flop”
- body shape
-belt
-holster height ( along with weight of gun- think loaded mag very high above belt line)
-holster slot to belt width fit
-tightness of belt to waist

Probably a couple more that I can’t think of off the top of my head

Many posters above have nailed the holster and belt issues
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I watched some stuff I. The Tulster Contour I posted above, decided to give that a try.  Will post up on it later after it arrives.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kramer horsehide belt scabbard.
View Quote
My vote too. And a horsehide belt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#34]
30 dollar gun belt from ebay is also a great leather belt. Been using mine for atleast 6-7 yrs and still holding up fine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Black Rhino Concealment TCS for the holster and Kore essentials for the belt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I have some desantis leather "pancake" style owb holsters and safariland lined kydex paddle holsters for Glocks, HK USP, and 1911.  I don't have any issues with them flopping around regardless of belt.

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Also understand,  the paddle is intended to go inside the waistband. It is not intended to be worn between the belt and pants.
View Quote

I've seen both ways discussed, but usually the paddle is designed to hook to the belt directly (in between belt and pants) and not typically inside the waistband of the pants.  Probably best to check the instructions for each specific holster and do as indicated.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

High Noon Holsters, natural color only
Beltman, colors other than natural only
Better Belt
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Bianchi 57 "Remedy" for my Glock 43 that I like a lot, so much so that I bought one for my 642 as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I picked up a vedder prodraw. For simple “around the house” on and off.

It’s a great holster but paddles are questionable by nature.

What I’d did was put a blue heal gel cup on it. They fit vedders paddle shape. The cup changed the angle slightly (canted the butt in) and gives good traction on my thigh. Keeps it from flopping around as much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nexbelt.  Lots of styles and they work well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Wilderness instructor 5 stitch belt. I've been wearing them for decades. They flat out work and last damn near forever. I had a first Gen that was over 25 years old. I wore it almost everyday. The velcro started to have some loose threads so I sent it back to Wilderness for repair. For $15 including shipping they gave me a brand new belt.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wilderness instructor 5 stitch belt. I've been wearing them for decades. They flat out work and last damn near forever. I had a first Gen that was over 25 years old. I wore it almost everyday. The velcro started to have some loose threads so I sent it back to Wilderness for repair. For $15 including shipping they gave me a brand new belt.
View Quote
Every Wilderness that I've tried came apart within a year.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you got a poor sample? Wilderness will make it right.  I am unusually hard on gear. Anything that can break does. I can't buy nice watches because I destroy them. Boots get wasted, pants get wasted. I carry every single day whether in public, at training, at the ranch or at my range and the Wilderness just works and lasts a long time for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Maybe you got a poor sample? Wilderness will make it right.  I am unusually hard on gear. Anything that can break does. I can't buy nice watches because I destroy them. Boots get wasted, pants get wasted. I carry every single day whether in public, at training, at the ranch or at my range and the Wilderness just works and lasts a long time for me.
View Quote

My sample of two was the same it is kind of a mediocre belt at best.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#46]
That's weird. My work belt was bought over 10 years ago, and gets about 2800 hrs on year on it with tools hanging off it half the time. My carry belts, different colors and thicknesses, are anywhere from 4-15 years old. I have a couple that need sent in for new Velcro, but that's it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been using a Hank's Gunner's Belt for a couple years now. That's one tough belt and I have no complaints. Well worth the money. Most quality holsters will sit right with a proper belt.

I carry OWB occasionally with El Paso Saddlery Dual Positon holster and they sit nice and tight on my side plus cross draw works well for long drives. I used to use a pancake holster made out of Kydex by Fobus but one time I sat down wrong on a chair with arms and it caught the holster just right and sheered it off. No more Fobus holsters for me.

Most of the time, I carry IWB daily with my Glock 23 in a "We The People" Kydex holster. They recently came out with a deep concealment attachment that I use so I can tuck my shirt in if I want to but most of the time I don't. IWB conceals better so that is why I chose that method but it was a slow progression going through many holsters to come to that conclusion.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had at least two Wilderness belts. I've had my current leather belt for several years now and it's still in great shape.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m running a big foot belt. I’d guess about a year now seems to be holding up well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nexbelt.  Lots of styles and they work well.
View Quote
^ this

Also, a quality kydex owb with a bladetech teklok attachment is solid on a good belt and easy to on/off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top