Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2021 5:15:06 PM EDT
Been a gun owner (fanatic) for well over a decade, but concealed carry has always been a challenge for me.  OWB prints unless I want to wear some dorky cover garment. IWB is stupidly uncomfortable--I have a thing where I can't stand a tight waistband. I keep my stomach flat at 45 years old in part because anything digging in to my mid-section drives me nuts. I tried appendix, strong side, belly bands...they all sucked.  Printing was still an issue, even with small guns, because I'm in shape and I want to wear clothes that fit.

I occasionally carry off body in a messenger bag, but we all know the drawback there. And frankly, I don't always want to be hauling a man purse.

Finally grabbed a DeSantis pocket holster for my G43 and stuck it in the back pocket of my jeans.  Holy crap. This is a revelation.  It totally disappears, and while a decent draw will take practice, it IS possible.

So...I guess this is a PSA for those who have been frustrated with concealed carry for as long as I have.  I finally figured it out.  Hallelujah, amen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you're talking about handguns, but hey, I don't know why I have never heard of anyone carrying their CAT TQ in their front pocket as I do. It's convenient, quickly deployable, non obtrusive, all the good stuff.

About your pistol, it's not ideal to pocket carry it without any sort of clip for retention inside your pocket. You could lose it in a sudden scuffle without realizing it until you go for the draw to find out it's not there anymore. But once you find a pocket holster that has clips, now you're somehow obviously carrying a gun for the trained eye, which includes the badguys that do look for hints to tell if someone is packing. I even avoid carrying my pocket knife with it's clip exposed to view (so no, I don't carry it in my pocket).

Just my ¢02
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Once you become enlightened to untucked shirts, you will reach true Zen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
PM9 in my front pocket. I roll around on the ground working on my vehicle, same with the LCP. Desantis Nemesis is a nice sticky pocket holster.

Link Posted: 10/7/2021 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy pants that are a size bigger
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once you become enlightened to untucked shirts, you will reach true Zen.
View Quote

Oh my shirts are untucked. I'm a jeans and tee shirt kinda guy. My body is just weird...my hips are kind wide for a dude, so getting the gun not to print is impossible short of totally changing my wardrobe, which I'd rather not do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
PM9 in my front pocket. I roll around on the ground working on my vehicle, same with the LCP. Desantis Nemesis is a nice sticky pocket holster.

View Quote

I'll second the Desantis Nemesis.  I carry a Sig 938 in the front pocket.  Nothing is perfect but this works for me most of the time except for suits which is the only time I use an inside the waistband.  Thankfully, I seldom wear suits.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I love pocket carry. Super easy to carry, no hassle. I first carried my Beretta 92FS, but I quickly switched to a Kel-Tec P3AT. Bounced back and forth from IWB to pocket carry over the years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever works for you as long as you always carry.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a lot of guys here poo poo pocket carry but for me it is awesome.  If you have back issues or sciatica problems even carrying on the belt for a short time can be painful.
I have been right front pocket carrying a P365 for a couple of years and before that a P3AT for probably 10 years among a few others.
I have used a variety of pocket holsters over the years and shopping now for another.
I do still carry IWB and OWB for very short periods of time but 95% is front pocket.
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Pocket carry FTW.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Pocket carry is best carry. Always there, and out of the way when you need to get things done.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Pocket carry is okay for a BUG but I won't use it for primary carry. It's too slow to get a good grip and a fast draw and you're limited to tiny guns.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pocket carry is okay for a BUG but I won't use it for primary carry. It's too slow to get a good grip and a fast draw and you're limited to tiny guns.
View Quote

Pocket carry is just as valid for a primary as ankle carry is.

Each person has their own preference, or environment they gotta make it work in, and for some, that is the best option.

The small gun that's slower to draw that you actually carry beats the larger gun you left at home every time.

The majority of people that have carry permits, do not carry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, and both suck compared to the other carry options.

Each person has their own preference, or environment they gotta make it work in, and for some, that is the best option.

True.

The small gun that's slower to draw that you actually carry beats the larger gun you left at home every time.

That argument is a justification for laziness, especially in a time where a P365 or equivalent exists.

True.  Most people do not practice as much as they should to become proficient.  A lot see their gun as comforting and back it up with ego, as they have never been in a life-or-death encounter.  I mean, that's why we carry these things, right? To preserve our lives or the lives of those around us?  We can do better if we really care about doing that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will say that it sucks less than ankle carry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm well aware that it's not the BEST option, but I do consider it an ACCEPTABLE option. I do the work to practice my draw, and I can put someone's lights out with a small gun at well past reasonable self-defense distance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know you're talking about handguns, but hey, I don't know why I have never heard of anyone carrying their CAT TQ in their front pocket as I do. It's convenient, quickly deployable, non obtrusive, all the good stuff.

About your pistol, it's not ideal to pocket carry it without any sort of clip for retention inside your pocket. You could lose it in a sudden scuffle without realizing it until you go for the draw to find out it's not there anymore. But once you find a pocket holster that has clips, now you're somehow obviously carrying a gun for the trained eye, which includes the badguys that do look for hints to tell if someone is packing. I even avoid carrying my pocket knife with it's clip exposed to view (so no, I don't carry it in my pocket).

Just my ¢02
View Quote
I have never even heard of a pocket holster with clips.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ankle carry doesn't have to suck. The draw can be consistently under two seconds. You don’t have to kneel, you don’t have to take your eyes off your target. Just lift your leg, lift your pants leg, and draw. There is no balance issue if it’s done at normal speed. if you have balance good enough to take a normal step, you have balance good enough to draw by lifting your leg. If your sense of balance isn't very good, it's easy to improve.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ankle carry doesn't have to suck. The draw can be consistently under two seconds. You don’t have to kneel, you don’t have to take your eyes off your target. Just lift your leg, lift your pants leg, and draw. There is no balance issue if it’s done at normal speed. if you have balance good enough to take a normal step, you have balance good enough to draw by lifting your leg. If your sense of balance isn't very good, it's easy to improve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few months ago, I had to draw and shoot a 90 lb pit bull, charging at me full speed, with one hand, while protecting my head and neck with the other. I was carrying a Glock 19 at 4 o'clock, IWB, under a pullover. I am pretty quick, have been carrying for over 20 years and train with my pistol several times a month. I still barely had time to put a head shot on the dog before he was on top of me. I also had to backpedal while drawing to put space between the dog and myself.

Now imagine trying that on one leg, drawing from your ankle, with a smaller gun, while facing a deadly threat, with your adrenaline pumping.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]

This right here for pocket carry. A mouse gun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd rather not carry in a method that requires me to limit my mobility and create an unstable stance to draw.

Edit: I have a Ruger LCP Max in my front pocket whenever I have a front pocket. Is has a 12 round magazine now.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#23]
All American Clothing Company

Carpenter’s Jeans

Watch pocket COMPLETELY CONCEALS all the baby 380 pistols. No sliding around or getting tipsy-turvy or try to pop out of the pocket if I have to jog or squat/kneel. Holds any baby 380 in perfect orientation for a clean baby-380 draw every time. Zero need for any additional holster. Been wearing these since the Bodyguard 380 hit the market.

Watch pocket is plenty big enough for J-frame 38 too. But the butt does not conceal 100%. Almost nobody would recognize that little bit as a firearm. But there it is. I can tug on the fabric, and make it completely disappear as long as I am just standing. Movement will make the J-frame Model 442 peek back out.

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/products/all-american-mens-carpenter-jean-made-in-usa-aa202l

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/products/all-american-mens-carpenter-jean-made-in-usa-aa202l

Available dark blue or prewashed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad you found something that works for you.

Before you give up on belt carry entirely, were you using a proper gun belt? Asking rhetorically. Part of the point of a good stiff gun belt is that it doesn't need to be cinched tight to get the carry rig comfortably concealed. Disregard this if you're all set.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All American Clothing Company

Carpenter’s Jeans

Watch pocket COMPLETELY CONCEALS all the baby 380 pistols. No sliding around or getting tipsy-turvy or try to pop out of the pocket if I have to jog or squat/kneel. Holds any baby 380 in perfect orientation for a clean baby-380 draw every time. Zero need for any additional holster....
View Quote
That's gotta be a painfully slow draw, and a downright dangerous re-"holster".

Personally, I would not carry anything in a pocket without a proper holster that covers the trigger, especially an autoloader.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:15:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I can barely grab my keys out of my pocket.

To many years powerlifting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
True about small guns but the draw can be faster than any other.

You simply cultivate casually keeping your hand in your pocket when in transitional spaces or whenever your spidey sense tingles.

Sub second head hits at 3 yards are cake. The range goes up with practice.

If you practice feigning compliance you can beat the drop(if your cell phone and wallet are worth it).

A .32/.380 in the face will likely change their channel from "gimme" to FIBS!(Fuck I've been shot!)
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Personally, I would not carry anything in a pocket without a proper holster that covers the trigger, especially an autoloader.
View Quote

Get a pair and try it yourself.

My experience has been completely opposite your speculation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I am not as dedicated to the carry task as I used to be years ago, so I have been only carrying a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster for the last few years. I never felt super good about it, but it's better than nothing. I recently picked up a Glock G43 and a Desantis pocket holster and it is a great option. Tad bit bulky, and you can see the butt of the gun at certain angles, but I feel a lot better about 9mm firepower over .380, for sure. I keep the factory 6 Rd magazine in the gun and carry two spares that have Vickers +2 extensions on them. Now, I'll only carry the LCP when I am wearing something really light, such as baggies or gym shorts.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if you signed up for a weekend course of professional training it would change your mind in a hurry. Although I doubt that there are any instructors who would allow you to draw and reholster on their line from a pocket without a holster.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#33]
This guy makes some elegant holsters for pocket carry.  I own several for various pistols:

Pocket Concealment Systems

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds to me you are more worried about the way you look in your clothes than you are about your safety. Carrying concealed is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting. I’ll let you in on a secret……people don’t pay attention or care what you look like. My guess is only another gun enthusiast would notice you printing. Lose the tight fitted shirt and tight jeans and get a Crossbreed type holster and I assure you it will be pretty comfortable. I spent 24 years in the military and turning 51 next month. I’m 5’6 165 lbs  and stay in shape. I carry a Sig 365 xl and 2 extra mags with zero issues and NO printing. The right holster and belt makes all the difference in the world .
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#35]
the printing issue imo is something that people carrying in prohibited places or states need to worry about. if you're in a free state, what is the worse that can happen if you get "made"? legally, absolutely nothing. and if you're worried about bad guys, well you're supposed to already be aware of your surroundings. a bad guy doesn't need to know you're carrying to chose you as his first target
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Been a gun owner (fanatic) for well over a decade, but concealed carry has always been a challenge for me.  OWB prints unless I want to wear some dorky cover garment. IWB is stupidly uncomfortable--I have a thing where I can't stand a tight waistband. I keep my stomach flat at 45 years old in part because anything digging in to my mid-section drives me nuts. I tried appendix, strong side, belly bands...they all sucked.  Printing was still an issue, even with small guns, because I'm in shape and I want to wear clothes that fit.

I occasionally carry off body in a messenger bag, but we all know the drawback there. And frankly, I don't always want to be hauling a man purse.

Finally grabbed a DeSantis pocket holster for my G43 and stuck it in the back pocket of my jeans.  Holy crap. This is a revelation.  It totally disappears, and while a decent draw will take practice, it IS possible.

So...I guess this is a PSA for those who have been frustrated with concealed carry for as long as I have.  I finally figured it out.  Hallelujah, amen.
View Quote

Have not gotten a pair yet, but they piqued my interest, and might yours:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ccwbreakaways/videos

https://ccwbreakaways.com/

For pocket carry: A really  good holster is an absolute must.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tailor made pants exist that negate those (see my post above with the two links for an example).

Seems to fit full size guns and conceal well. Positions it inside your leg below your equipment.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm happy in my sloven untucked shirt, which makes it easy to conceal a decent gun (Glock 19/17).
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
It sounds like you've found something that works for you and you're aware of the limitations that your style of carry creates.  It's still better than being unarmed IMHO.

Have you thought about retention though?  If I were to carry in my back-pocket I would worry about someone either making the gun and going for it or going for it thinking it was a wallet.  Either way it's problematic.  I've never carried in a back pocket but I have carried a small revolver in my front, strong-side pocket on many occasions.  I know that someone could go for it in the front pocket too but I think that it would be easier to notice the attempt and I would be in a stronger position to prevent them from taking it from a front pocket.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#40]
JJL0325,

I use a similar set up for pocket carry.  I use a Beretta Nano with the 6 round magazine in the gun in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with 2 spare 8 round magazine reloads in other pockets. I also use a Bianchi Model 100 IWB holster for the Nano on occasion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
the printing issue imo is something that people carrying in prohibited places or states need to worry about. if you're in a free state, what is the worse that can happen if you get "made"? legally, absolutely nothing. and if you're worried about bad guys, well you're supposed to already be aware of your surroundings. a bad guy doesn't need to know you're carrying to chose you as his first target
View Quote

There are a lot of things you haven't taken into consideration.

What if you DO care about having those around you see you're carrying a gun and you aren't military or police?

What if those around you are part of your social circle that your wife and kids WANT to hang around?

What if those around you are people you want to do business with and they aren't going to understand 2A Freedom like they should?
You think your fellow employees/teamates would like you to close that deal so they can continue bringing home a paycheck to their families?
I don't know about you, but I like taking a clueless anti-2A's money instead of them closing their wallet just because I'm carrying a gun.

This isn't all about you and your 'Fuck you - I'll do what I want' attitude.

First rule in a gunfight is to have a gun.  So go ahead and carry a mouse gun in your pocket.
Top Top