Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2020 10:03:42 PM EDT
So I have a few boxes of Frangible 223 and I was looking at some cheap 300 BLK 95 gr Frangible ammo 100 rounds for $80.

The FPS is 2400 from a 16" barrel I'm going to be using it from a 7.5-inch barrel. It still should have a lot of speed!

So are Frangible rounds good SD rounds? Just trying to find out makes sense to me we did load upon them in the oil fields in Iraq and they seemed to work.

Like to hear what you all have to say I know again this is not a reloading question but don't know where else to ask it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely the wrong forum. I believe there is a ammo forum or you could always ask in GD.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... So are Frangible rounds good SD rounds?...
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago I talked to a SWAT team member at a federal prison. They used Glaser safety slugs because of the chance of ricochet in their concrete environment. They proved it got the job done.

I just picked up some 30 cal frangible bullets to load 300blk for training on steel at close range. Haven't been able to range test them for accuracy/ SD, etc because all the ranges are currently shut down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely the wrong forum. I believe there is a ammo forum or you could always ask in GD.
View Quote

Nope! Nothing like that plus GD is full of trolls and people full of $hit! So I'd not trust them anyway!
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote

No flame but why not? I used them in combat and took down many targets with one shot.

Like said no flame at all. So why are they a bad round to use?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No flame but why not? I used them in combat and took down many targets with one shot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

There's a reason police departments train with frangible rounds but then issue hollow-points.

Self-defense bullets are engineered for controlled expansion and penetration. Tremendous resources are expended getting it reliably right.

Frangible bullets are engineered to turn into dust.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
No.  Frangible bullets provide insufficient penetration to pass the FBI criteria, and in testing often by a significant margin.

Tech forums related to ammunition will give a good discussion without GD shenanigans:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ammunition/16

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Ammunition/20/
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you used them in combat and they worked then why ask this question at all?
When I was cop we called them the murder bullet since they would turn to dust after hitting bone. I would use them if I had any.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Having fired some frangible .223 rounds into gallon jugs of water expecting them to disintegrate, only to have them zip through, I have my doubts about them disintegrating or underpenetrating in a body...

That being said, they are not on my short list of SD ammunition...
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I was watching some things on frangible lately and did order some of these projectiles to reload, but its for close steel shooting.  Seems ok, not sure it would be my go to though.  I'm still partial to lead and copper.  

https://sinterfire.com/products/
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I would never use a frangible bullet for self defense. I've worked rural area LE for the last 23 years and have used frangible rounds to put down probably 40 deer and 1 bear hit by cars near houses. I've used them in 357 Sig and 9mm. Very few have exited the skull on a deer. I use the frangible rounds to avoid a potential ricochet shooting around pavement. They make impressive shallow wounds and work good for my purpose. When I'm not around a house I use the issued gold dots in 357 or Ranger T +P+ 9mm. Both of those work great, exit and show signs of expansion every time I use them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top