Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 7:23:08 AM EDT
In the market for a new 9mm pistol which would serve as my do it all other than EDC unless if needed.  My EDC is a Sig P365XL and looking for a pistol in a full size frame or close to full size.  Something that I can use with a weapons light to keep bed side and throw in my backpack when traveling with some extra magazines.  My EDC will also be on me as well.  I have been eyeing a Glock G45 just because I have never owned a Glock and their reputation for reliability and quality has always been great.  But I worry about the grip angle and if it would be an issue if having to transition from shooting my other pistols.

Also interested in the CZ P10F or possibly the P10C, M&P 2.0, Sig P320 (worried about their issues), H&K VP9 & Walter PPQ M2.  I know the best thing to do is find a store that has them all to test out on the range but that's not possible at the moment so have to go on what I can find available and what feels good in my hands.  If you guys had to choose one do it all 9mm (not EDC) what would you guys go with?  I'd like something with some aftermarket parts available and readily available magazines.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
FN 509T is what you seek...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
As is the case with threads of this nature, you are going to get a bunch of replies from folks seeking to reinforce their own personal choice.  You nailed it in your post, seek out the pistols you think you might like and get your hands on them.  In this day and age it's hard to make a bad choice as the overall quality floor for the popular brands is very high indeed.  So it comes down to what fits your hands best.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
In the current environment, I would get any of the models you listed if I could get 5 or more mags for it at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^ He ain’t wrong!

Other options would be a Sig P226 or striker fire 320, CZ 75 or derivative in some configuration or a CZ striker fired full size.

Glocks don’t feel right in my hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I would actually vote another 365xl. Get a dot on it, the new TRL 7 sub, and 15 round mags. All the capacity of the M&P 2.0 (I have one) plus redundant for what you already own.

if I could only keep one pistol it would be my 365 xl
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried most of the options you listed.

To me, the M&P 2.0 line seems the best.  I always thought that the 365 (non XL version) was the best choice  to maintain a similar feel and ergonomics as you got smaller.   It's what the Shield should have been.

I guess the new Shield fills that gap, finally.  But I still think they're better than Glock, 509 and P10 (for some reason,  all feel similar to each other)
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
The FN 509T looks like a great choice but out of my price range.  Guess I should have mentioned looking for something under $700.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
For stricker fired, any of these are worthy options...

Glock, 19, 45, 17, 34 (the 17 is my favorite of the bunch)
Sig P320 Carry of Full size (I prefer the carry)
CZ P10C or F (I prefer the C)
S&W M&P 2.0 (not my fav but a lot of people seem happy with them)

There are others too like the FN's, Walthers, HK's etc but I'd stick with one of the above because they will be easier to find and easier to find mags/parts/accessories for.

Glock is a solid, time tested platform with a lot going for it but their grips and triggers are not for everybody. I've shot Glocks for over 25 years now and do fine with them but I can shoot just about any other gun better.

I don't feel that there is anything to be concerned about with the 320 line. They have had some teething pains as all new designs do but they have been ironed out quickly and I feel like its solid design. The modularity of the platform can't be touched by any other platform and with it being adopted by the US Military, its future is guaranteed.

The CZ's really are IMO the improved version of the Glock because of its vastly better grip and trigger. Again, just my opinion.

The thing is, any of these will get the job done and in the end, the only meaningful difference is which one YOU shoot better and which one YOU personal prefer. Everybody here (including myself) is just going to tell you what their personal preference is or what they shoot better but that doesn't help you in the least.

Find a local range that still does rentals and try at least 2 or 3 of the ones that fit your hands the best and make your decision from there. As long as it works well for you, there really isn't any "bad" choices here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Cannot recommend the Glock 45 highly enough.  I carry it as my duty gun by choice.  

Something that is overlooked in a fighting handgun is balance.  This gun balances unlike any other gun I have had.  

I have carried P228 and 1911s.  The 45 just gets it right IMHO.  

I just got a second RMR and and thinking hard about another 45 but in MOS with a TLR-7A.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255759/080BB4C1-C4B5-41E5-9F5F-65683094039A_jpe-1910467.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
After contacting some of the local shops in my area the only pistol on my list that is actually available is the Glock G45 MOS for $650.  Was hoping to find some of the others to get my hands on and see how they feel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Any of the ones you mentioned would be fine.  I’d tend to go with the M&P 5 inch over the others because I shoot it the best personally.

I’ve owned them all and the only one I no longer have is the P10C.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The Glock 45 is an excellent pistol.  Accurate, reliable and balances perfectly in my hands.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the current environment, I would get any of the models you listed if I could get 5 or more mags for it at a reasonable price.
View Quote

This is wisdom.  Personally, magazine prices/availability have driven some of my pistol purchases in the past decade.  If I'm going back and forth between two guns, and one I can get all the mags I want at reasonable prices (and supply is such there may be specials or sales) or the other where mags are almost unobtanium and when you can find one you're paying premium prices, I go with the former.  

Mags are consumables.  A pistol without mags is an expensive paperweight.  For any gun that will be more than a fun range shooter I want to pretty quickly stock up to 10 mags, so expensive, hard to find mags add up cost pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is wisdom.  Personally, magazine prices/availability have driven some of my pistol purchases in the past decade.  If I'm going back and forth between two guns, and one I can get all the mags I want at reasonable prices (and supply is such there may be specials or sales) or the other where mags are almost unobtanium and when you can find one you're paying premium prices, I go with the former.  

Mags are consumables.  A pistol without mags is an expensive paperweight.  For any gun that will be more than a fun range shooter I want to pretty quickly stock up to 10 mags, so expensive, hard to find mags add up cost pretty fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's one of the reasons I said stay away FN, HK and Walther. Glock, Sig, CZ and S&W mags are much easier to find and reasonably priced. Glock will always rule in this category. Factory Sig P320 and S&W M&P mags are on the pricy side (~$40ea) but you can get the ACT MFG versions of both (which are just as good) for ~half that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my hands on a Glock G45 and Sig P320 Compact and both felt good in my hand. I liked the looks of the Sig more but the larger frame of the G45 felt better in my hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I carried a .40 P229 for years. 3-gun had me looking to move to 9mm for capacity reasons.

First step was the SP2022. What a great pistol. But I handled a PPQ and loved the trigger. So I got one, but the sights weren’t my favorite (wide gap or narrow post or something) and it was more recoil and blast than a 9 should have. Then I gave the VP9 a try. Slow fire was nice but something during rapid made me track up and right. Plus the paddles stuck up a bit in the trigger guard and would poke my fingertip when the trigger would break. Never liked the grip of the P250, but I tried the P320 anyway. Still didn’t love the grip like the VP9, but damn if I couldn’t shoot it the best of them.

After that, I rented the M&P, Glock, RAP, FNS, XDM, and borrowed my buddy’s Steyr. Didn’t have a 2.0, APX, or P10 though.  Shot them all. P320 came out on top for me. FNS I liked enough to get a 509 when they were $350.

But, that’s just me. Ask 9 other people, you’ll likely get 9 different answers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm probably going to catch shit for suggesting it, but the Walther PPX is a big, ugly high-capacity pistol that has been quite cheap in the past.  Uses PPQ magazines, has the rail you want, and an astonishingly nice trigger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Glock 45 MOS is my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm leaning towards the Glock G45 MOS if they still have it available.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]
There are many good choices out there. Some people have their favorites, you just have to find out what works for you. Even though they are not the nicest looking pistol out there,  Glock makes a great gun and are solidly built. They have a huge corner of the market as they have so many models to do so many things. Mags between calibers/guns,for the most part, are interchangeable, anyone can completely disassemble one without the need for special tools,mags are usually cheaper than any other brand and parts are a plenty to add/customize your gun for your needs/likes. The only thing I hate about them is the short beaver tail and the need to use the back straps. I have big mitts and get slide bite without the extra beaver tail pieces. Everyone does not have the same grip/hand size. Glock finally addressed this issue, although I am sure not intentionally, with the single stack guns-42, 43,43x and 48. I wish they would do the same for the fuller sized guns, as they are just a great overall firearm. I love my Glock 45 9mm model.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
In your shoes I’d go 320 full size. Maybe an M18?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Stopped by my local gun shop. They had a Sig P320 XP and  Glock G45 MOS. I handled both in my hands for a while. The Sig felt good and I liked the trigger better than the Glock. Also liked the look of the Sig better than the Glock. So I walked out with the Glock G45 MOS. Reasons why is because it felt more balanced and I guess I just wanted to try out a Glock and see how it goes. Now it’s time to upgrade the trigger and get some extra magazines.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Stopped by my local gun shop. They had a Sig P320 XP and  Glock G45 MOS. I handled both in my hands for a while. The Sig felt good and I liked the trigger better than the Glock. Also liked the look of the Sig better than the Glock. So I walked out with out with the Glock G45 MOS. Reasons why is because it felt more balanced and I guess I just wanted to try out a Glock and see how it goes. Now it’s time to upgrade the trigger and get some extra magazines.
View Quote

Congrats! I'd suggest stocking up heavily on mags now; both 17's and 33's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or something from CZ. Both better than their price points, IMO.

H&K is where I would go long before Glock. A VP9 isn't priced much different than a Glock these days.

Don't overlook a Beretta 92FS or the Compact version. Beretta's are wholly under-appreciated guns as well.

The guys whom own a Walther Q5 Match really seem to love them. I haven't shot one, so I can't opine on them. But Walther makes accurate guns in general.

In short, any brand other than Glock, Ruger or S&W...................  

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stopped by my local gun shop. They had a Sig P320 XP and  Glock G45 MOS. I handled both in my hands for a while. The Sig felt good and I liked the trigger better than the Glock. Also liked the look of the Sig better than the Glock. So I walked out with out with the Glock G45 MOS. Reasons why is because it felt more balanced and I guess I just wanted to try out a Glock and see how it goes. Now it’s time to upgrade the trigger and get some extra magazines.
View Quote

Which one did you buy?  It reads like you walked out with and without the G45?  Or did you get both
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Since you already have. a 365XL, I would go with a 320 Pro, either Carry or FS. If you want something really fun get the 320 X5 Legion.

Also, don't know what "issues" you're talking about with the 320.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Which one did you buy?  It reads like you walked out with and without the G45?  Or did you get both
View Quote

Opps...  Fixed it.  Walked out with the G45 MOS but I do plan on getting a P320 real soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Since you already have. a 365XL, I would go with a 320 Pro, either Carry or FS. If you want something really fun get the 320 X5 Legion.

View Quote
You don't know? Best run your P320 serial numbers by sig and see if you need to send them in for "upgrade" (safety recall)
https://www.sigsauer.com/p320-voluntary-upgrade-program
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You don't know? Best run your P320 serial numbers by sig and see if you need to send them in for "upgrade" (safety recall)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to 2016. I thought he was talking about other "issues".
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I sold my old Springfield XD .45 Compact today and stopped by the local gun shop again and the Sig P320 X Full Size was still available so I left with it. It’s optics ready so now I need to get two red dots for the Glock and Sig. Snapped a couple of quick pics of each.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#33]
You ended up going with one of the 4 guns I was going to recommend.  Personally I'm not a "fan" of the G45 purely from a capacity perspective.  Yes I know shield makes higher capacity mags for the gun, if I'm going to be spending $40 a mag I'll just go with the P320.  Part of the appeal of Glocks to me are the mags.

I'm a dumb.  Thought the G45 was the G48 slimline for some reason
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I just wish the P320 had a better optic pattern.   Nobody wants to use the Romeo or DPP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You ended up going with one of the 4 guns I was going to recommend.  Personally I'm not a "fan" of the G45 purely from a capacity perspective.  Yes I know shield makes higher capacity mags for the gun, if I'm going to be spending $40 a mag I'll just go with the P320.  Part of the appeal of Glocks to me are the mags.
View Quote

Little lost here, doesn't the G45 and P320 both come standard with 17 round magazines?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well I sold my old Springfield XD .45 Compact today and stopped by the local gun shop again and the Sig P320 X Full Size was still available so I left with it. It's optics ready so now I need to get two red dots for the Glock and Sig. Snapped a couple of quick pics of each.

https://i.imgur.com/ljf5URi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zAi7cwi.jpg
View Quote

My recommendation was going to be the VP9, P10, and Glock Gen5 MOS, probably in that order; I like my VP9s, the P10 came out after I was already invested in VP9s but my friend has had excellent luck with them, and the Gen5 MOS Glocks seem to me to be the ones to have if you're going to go Glock (had some for a while, sold most of them, again before the Gen5 MOS was released).

The Glock 45 seems to be a good option, you chose well, and you chose based on what works best for you.  Congrats
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I still want a CZ P10C just hard to find at a decent price. Found a used one at a LGS and they wanted $680 for it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just wish the P320 had a better optic pattern.   Nobody wants to use the Romeo or DPP.
View Quote

My 320 Pro is cut for the RMR too. Went with the Romeo1 Pro. Been really happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Little lost here, doesn't the G45 and P320 both come standard with 17 round magazines?
View Quote

Nope I'm a derp .  Got the 45 and 48 flipped in my head

@PearlWhiteGT
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#40]
So I took both pistols and my EDC Sig P365XL out to the range just to put a few rounds through them. The Sig P320 X  Full Size was a pleasure to shoot. I was able to shoot it and the Sig P365XL really well. Had a little issues shooting the G45, was shooting a little low and to the left. The straight trigger of the Sigs felt better for me. After a few more rounds I was able to correct the issue but going to take some more practice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For 1, BS... a lot of people run the Romeo or DPP but regardless, the newer 320's with Pro optic cut are compatible with the RMR

Quoted:
So I took both pistols and my EDC Sig P365XL out to the range just to put a few rounds through them. The Sig P320 X  Full Size was a pleasure to shoot. I was able to shoot it and the Sig P365XL really well. Had a little issues shooting the G45, was shooting a little low and to the left. The straight trigger of the Sigs felt better for me. After a few more rounds I was able to correct the issue but going to take some more practice.

Very typical results. As good as Glocks are, a lot of people can not shoot them as well as other platforms and low/left with a Glock is very common. I found out that a lot of people (myself included) are noticeably more accurate with Sigs. I also prefer flat blade triggers. if I was you, I wouldn't waste ammo trying to become more proficient with the G45 and instead would sell/trade it for a P320 Carry or the CZ P10C you said you still want
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
After contacting some of the local shops in my area the only pistol on my list that is actually available is the Glock G45 MOS for $650.  Was hoping to find some of the others to get my hands on and see how they feel.
View Quote

They all feel better than the Glock.  But, the G45 has very, very little to be said against it. Having owned or shot everything on your list, the G45 is what I would purchase, and add a red dot to, immediately.

One you didn't mention, but that would be a good candidate, is a Canik TP9.  Those are really good, full stop.  They are crazy good for what they cost.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/200117_Comprehensive-thread-of-Dual-Use-Magazines.html

Keep in mind that polymer mags such as Glock can generally be printed; factory metal mags are not going to be printed on a home 3-D printer @ this time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Try the XCARRY or XCOMPACT my latest and tell me you like a Glock better. Try a P80 grip or Wilson Combat Grip to see which feels better. The 90 degree trigger is a huge difference. My choice today is the full size P80 for non concealed in a Bravo Concealment owb.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#45]
There are a lot of great choices out there—most manufacturers turn out a great, reliable duty-size weapon. I have no experience with the FN guns, but hear good things about them. I shoot a G17 and G19 both with RMRs, that I really like for a bunch of reasons, and you couldn’t go wrong with that choice. But my personal favorite right now is a VP9 with a dot—it’s magical.

I know with the dot it’s outside of your price range, but before the panic you could get a VP9 for low to mid $500.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Try the XCARRY or XCOMPACT my latest and tell me you like a Glock better. Try a P80 grip or Wilson Combat Grip to see which feels better. The 90 degree trigger is a huge difference. My choice today is the full size P80 for non concealed in a Bravo Concealment owb.
View Quote

XCarry or XCompact will be my need purchase.  Can't wait to get my hands on one to bring home with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top