Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 6:40:47 PM EDT
Which would you rather have if money didn’t matter?

And please list your reasons.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nighthawk. I have shot a bunch of Wilson. They are nice but not nicer than a baer, pro, etc for a lot less money. Nighthawk has some cool modern offerings and the ones I’ve handled felt fantastic
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nighthawk. I have shot a bunch of Wilson. They are nice but not nicer than a baer, pro, etc for a lot less money. Nighthawk has some cool modern offerings and the ones I've handled felt fantastic
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Nighthawk. They brought in Bob Marvel to streamline and correct a bunch of the issues they’d been having and it ended up working out pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Both build a nice gun. In a single stack 1911 I like Nighthawk. Yes, I have owned both many times.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I own both...

5” Nighthawk Warhawk .45acp built to my specs and a Wilson Lightweight Professional in 9mm

Both have been excellent. Overall I must admit I’d probably go with Nighthawk again but my goal is a Jason Burton 5” .45

Funny thing is I shoot and carry Glock on and off duty.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
The 2011 that STI built for the US Marshall's is the only gun of its type I have any interest in.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ege:
Nighthawk. They brought in Bob Marvel to streamline and correct a bunch of the issues they’d been having and it ended up working out pretty well.
View Quote

What issues?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m surprised that Nighthawk is getting so much love and Wilson isn't.

What is Wilson doing wrong?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Leonidas777:
I’m surprised that Nighthawk is getting so much love and Wilson isn't. 

What is Wilson doing wrong?
View Quote

$5,000 guns?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
I own both...

5” Nighthawk Warhawk .45acp built to my specs and a Wilson Lightweight Professional in 9mm

Both have been excellent. Overall I must admit I’d probably go with Nighthawk again but my goal is a Jason Burton 5” .45

Funny thing is I shoot and carry Glock on and off duty. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/6C88CE1A-61AC-4533-A6C3-6F9DD5F84EF6_jpe-1409357.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86935/6463E07A-7AF0-4B9C-AA71-1AB6FD4A7BB9_jpe-1409359.JPG
View Quote

What were your custom specs for that Nighthawk?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in love with my NH Firehawk.

My only knock on Nighthawk is they don't seem to be as transparent as Wilson about whether you're getting stainless steel or carbon steel.  I think that means the vast majority of their offerings are indeed stainless steel, which is not my preference.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By glock24:
I'm in love with my NH Firehawk.

My only knock on Nighthawk is they don't seem to be as transparent as Wilson about whether you're getting stainless steel or carbon steel.  I think that means the vast majority of their offerings are indeed stainless steel, which is not my preference.
View Quote

That’s weird. I wonder why they’re not upfront about that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I had them add flat trigger, NH logo to right side rear, heavy crown on barrel, flute chamber hood, grips from their Agency gun, etc...

Mostly cosmetic but I wanted it my way...
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both,

Nighthawk Falcon in .45
Wilson Combat ULCC .45
Wilson Combat Professional 9MM.

They are essentially the same gun. The guys who started Nighthawk  left Wilson Combat. They both source the same parts and are both in Berryville, AR

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have settled on Wilson, Nighthawk and Guncrafter. All have things I like about each. The Nighthawk and Guncrafter get carried the most and its all about sights.

I black U notch and Trijicon HD Yellow front on the Guncrafter and Nighthawk. With the Wilsons and their own sight cut, it limits the sights to their own.

Wilson does not have a brighter front available, but I will keep the gold beads on the front sights I have for my Wilson setups.

To be honest you can't go wrong with either the Wilson or Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Nighthawk hands down. Very well built pistols.

This is totally personal.

I haven’t handled a Wilson that I would own. To be honest I wouldn’t trade my DW Valor for anything Wilson makes.

On the other hand, I love using Ed Brown parts, wouldn’t spend the money on a EB pistol. Unless it was a SF model or a recon frame model under $1800.

I rather have custom built guns using a standard production base like 70series Colt, Springfield loaded or operator etc. I have two being built now that are Springfield bases and one Colt/Caspian full house up coming.

9mm Springfield Operator

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
The last time I shot a Wilson was 10 years ago and all the MIM parts turned me off.

I have an older Nighthawk and it's a solid pistol, so between the two that would be my choice.

I think the last 1911 I would ever part with is my Les Baer Thunder Ranch.  Quality parts with an excellent fit, the only downside is the blued finish, but I kinda like the patina after they get older.

The painted on finishes they put on high end guns really turn me off.  I like DLC or a good blueing.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
Nighthawk hands down. Very well built pistols. 

This is totally personal.

I haven’t handled a Wilson that I would own. To be honest I wouldn’t trade my DW Valor for anything Wilson makes. 

View Quote

Totally agree
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#19]

I haven’t handled a Wilson that I would own. To be honest I wouldn’t trade my DW Valor for anything Wilson makes. 

On the other hand, I love using Ed Brown parts, wouldn’t spend the money on a EB pistol. Unless it was a SF model or a recon frame model under $1800. 

I rather have custom built guns using a standard production base like 70series Colt, Springfield loaded or operator etc. I have two being built now that are Springfield bases and one Colt/Caspian full house up coming.

9mm Springfield Operator
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/245B599E-8D81-49F3-9932-C03C711700CA-1409988.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/79DAE777-876D-4CA2-953E-F516C9CA28E8-1409989.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2A66CBEA-056C-4F7A-929A-DA2AB8C38108-1409990.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/3BA0ABED-3B3D-4D99-B17D-A4D6A5EA785F-1409991.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]

What issues?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nighthawk. They brought in Bob Marvel to streamline and correct a bunch of the issues they’d been having and it ended up working out pretty well.

What issues?

I’m not sure, but I assume it was issues with function, since cosmetic defects would be obvious. Something like 25% were going back IIRC? This was a long while ago. I think it was Marvel that suggested the “one gunsmith, one gun” thing. Hopefully I’m not too off base here—I never handled any of the older guns, but the new ones have been excellent. I’m talking about barrel hood fit, slide stop pin bearing, etc.—stuff that most semi-custom shops shit the bed on.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The last time I shot a Wilson was 10 years ago and all the MIM parts turned me off.

I have an older Nighthawk and it's a solid pistol, so between the two that would be my choice.

I think the last 1911 I would ever part with is my Les Baer Thunder Ranch.  Quality parts with an excellent fit, the only downside is the blued finish, but I kinda like the patina after they get older.

The painted on finishes they put on high end guns really turn me off.  I like DLC or a good blueing.

View Quote
MIM in a Wilson? A $1200 Dan Wesson is MIM-free, how does a $3-5k wilson have any in it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
MIM in a Wilson? A $1200 Dan Wesson is MIM-free, how does a $3-5k wilson have any in it?
View Quote

Wilson's don't have MIM parts anymore and the MIM parts that they did use were very well made but you're talking about guns made probably 20 years ago at this point. I know they used to use 3 cast parts but anymore with Wilson Combat everything has their bullet proof parts in it.

Also i don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over MIM stuff anymore considering aircraft engines have MIM stuff in them LOL. It doesn't seem to stop people from getting on a plane flying places.

I will say i do own a Wilson and its very nice. I know when i looked at Nighthawks offerings to get about the same thing from Nighthawk would of cost me another $1000 or so at the time and after checking out some Nighthawk offerings in person i'm happy i saved my money and went with a Wilson since Wilson had the options i wanted. Not saying Nighthawk didn't have the options i wanted but they weren't standard features and the cost was just not in my range.

IDK, Nighthawk makes nice guns and everything but as far everything i've played with once when you get past the 3k mark everything will be roughly the same fit wise. Finish's will differ but functionality will be virtually the same on all these customs and semi custom guns.

We're all just gun snobs at the end of the day arguing about these brands that most people can't afford or have no interest in since you can buy a 1911 for $1k that will shoot the same at the end of the day in most peoples hands.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:

Wilson's don't have MIM parts anymore and the MIM parts that they did use were very well made but you're talking about guns made probably 20 years ago at this point. I know they used to use 3 cast parts but anymore with Wilson Combat everything has their bullet proof parts in it. 

Also i don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over MIM stuff anymore considering aircraft engines have MIM stuff in them LOL. It doesn't seem to stop people from getting on a plane flying places. 

I will say i do own a Wilson and its very nice. I know when i looked at Nighthawks offerings to get about the same thing from Nighthawk would of cost me another $1000 or so at the time and after checking out some Nighthawk offerings in person i'm happy i saved my money and went with a Wilson since Wilson had the options i wanted. Not saying Nighthawk didn't have the options i wanted but they weren't standard features and the cost was just not in my range. 

IDK, Nighthawk makes nice guns and everything but as far everything i've played with once when you get past the 3k mark everything will be roughly the same fit wise. Finish's will differ but functionality will be virtually the same on all these customs and semi custom guns

We're all just gun snobs at the end of the day arguing about these brands that most people can't afford or have no interest in since you can buy a 1911 for $1k that will shoot the same at the end of the day in most peoples hands.
View Quote

The bolded part should absolutely be true, but unfortunately isn’t.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no dog in the fight as I'm too poor to own either a Wilson or Nighthawk, but you can't hate Wilson MIM, then not mention that Uncle Les uses a few Cast parts.
Also Uncle Les' monkeys can and do fuck up. My UTC 9 wasn't "finished" from the factory and couldn't go more than a few rounds in a mag before jamming. Rob @ Alchemy fixed it and just laughed.
My SRP has been flawless and my UTC 45 ran flawlessly.
Everyone can have a stinker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Wilson, for me.  I really like their sights as well as their blued and stainless finishes.  I also prefer their esthetics over the nighthawks which are too overdone in my opinion.  I have also used their customer service and found it to be absolutely fantastic.  I have a wilson .45 that is 5 years old and has over 15,000 rounds through it develop some very slight play in the beavertail (not a functional issue.)  I called on a Monday and had the gun back and perfect on Friday, all free of charge.

I do prefer nighthawk's DLC to Wilson's armortuff.  I wish wilson would ditch the Armortuff, it's the only thing I don't like about Wilson.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]

The bolded part should absolutely be true, but unfortunately isn’t. 
View Quote

Everything that I've seen and shot it so far seems to be true. Nice finishes and fit from what I can tell is very nice and the gun's all shoot ragged holes. Not very scientific but it's the info I have.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty sure nighthawk tubes are handfit.......Most Wilson’s barrels are not.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Wilson's don't have MIM parts anymore and the MIM parts that they did use were very well made but you're talking about guns made probably 20 years ago at this point. I know they used to use 3 cast parts but anymore with Wilson Combat everything has their bullet proof parts in it. 

Also i don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over MIM stuff anymore considering aircraft engines have MIM stuff in them LOL. It doesn't seem to stop people from getting on a plane flying places. 

I will say i do own a Wilson and its very nice. I know when i looked at Nighthawks offerings to get about the same thing from Nighthawk would of cost me another $1000 or so at the time and after checking out some Nighthawk offerings in person i'm happy i saved my money and went with a Wilson since Wilson had the options i wanted. Not saying Nighthawk didn't have the options i wanted but they weren't standard features and the cost was just not in my range. 

IDK, Nighthawk makes nice guns and everything but as far everything i've played with once when you get past the 3k mark everything will be roughly the same fit wise. Finish's will differ but functionality will be virtually the same on all these customs and semi custom guns. 

We're all just gun snobs at the end of the day arguing about these brands that most people can't afford or have no interest in since you can buy a 1911 for $1k that will shoot the same at the end of the day in most peoples hands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:
MIM in a Wilson? A $1200 Dan Wesson is MIM-free, how does a $3-5k wilson have any in it?

IDK, Nighthawk makes nice guns and everything but as far everything i've played with once when you get past the 3k mark everything will be roughly the same fit wise. Finish's will differ but functionality will be virtually the same on all these customs and semi custom guns. 

A $1200 Dan Wesson is a fantastic gun for the money.  I won't say they are as good as the higher ended guns mentioned here but I am very happy with my Valor.

I haven't seen or even shot a Wilson in a long time but 12 years ago when I was choosing, a Wilson was $3K and a Les Baer was $800 less, and had better parts.  Good quality or not, I wanted the best and that is what the LB offered.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which would you rather have if money didn’t matter?

And please list your reasons.
View Quote

Had 3 Wilsons, have 1 left
had 3 NH, have 2 left ( but one for sale in EE )

Basically, pick your bells and whistles- there's no fundamental difference that's going to rock your world when shooting them. Wilson's "armor tuff " is a bit shit finish wise in 2020, sights on either are easily changed out  as preferred. So pick whichever looks prettier to you. If I had $4-$5k to drop on another 1911, I'd get a CZ Shadow 2.

If I HAD to get another 1911, I'd probably buy another old, pre owned Valor for $1200 or Baer for a bit more

Some of what I have now, Nighthawks, Wilson ULC, GC NN, Springfield Pro blah blah........None does anything significantly more accurately, reliably or differently from any other. The Baer, the SA Pro and my RRA all have accuracy guarantees with specific ammo, doesn't mean the others couldn't match it with the right loads and if laser accuracy at 50 yards was a concern for me, then I'd have bullseye pistols.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#30]

On the other hand, I love using Ed Brown parts, wouldn’t spend the money on a EB pistol. Unless it was a SF model or a recon frame model under $1800. 

I rather have custom built guns using a standard production base like 70series Colt, Springfield loaded or operator etc. I have two being built now that are Springfield bases and one Colt/Caspian full house up coming.

9mm Springfield Operator
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/245B599E-8D81-49F3-9932-C03C711700CA-1409988.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/79DAE777-876D-4CA2-953E-F516C9CA28E8-1409989.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/2A66CBEA-056C-4F7A-929A-DA2AB8C38108-1409990.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/3BA0ABED-3B3D-4D99-B17D-A4D6A5EA785F-1409991.jpg
View Quote

^^ this is a MUCH better way to spend mucho money on a 1911- get something unique and properly hand built ^^
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By asiparks:

Had 3 Wilsons, have 1 left
had 3 NH, have 2 left ( but one for sale in EE )

Basically, pick your bells and whistles- there's no fundamental difference that's going to rock your world when shooting them. Wilson's "armor tuff " is a bit shit finish wise in 2020, sights on either are easily changed out  as preferred. So pick whichever looks prettier to you. If I had $4-$5k to drop on another 1911, I'd get a CZ Shadow 2. 

If I HAD to get another 1911, I'd probably buy another old, pre owned Valor for $1200 or Baer for a bit more 

Some of what I have now, Nighthawks, Wilson ULC, GC NN, Springfield Pro blah blah........None does anything significantly more accurately, reliably or differently from any other. The Baer, the SA Pro and my RRA all have accuracy guarantees with specific ammo, doesn't mean the others couldn't match it with the right loads and if laser accuracy at 50 yards was a concern for me, then I'd have bullseye pistols. 

https://picr.me/i/2020/05/12/VX5s08.jpg
View Quote

Armor Tuff is a good finish on carbon steel unless your just talking about the "look" of it because i know some people don't care for the look. It isn't going to be as durable as a glock finish but oh well. AT is pretty much cerakote so is cerakote a shit finish in 2020?

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
relatively speaking, yes it is.

looking used doesn't bother me.
but when DLC and Nitrided finishes are readily available,  ( on lower priced guns like DW and, as you mentioned, Glocks), and wear better, why settle for a thicker, tolerance affecting coating that wears ? Especially on a gun that's at the fat end of $3K.

Edited so as to not hurt peoples feelings
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
relatively speaking, yes it is.

looking used doesn't bother me.
but when DLC and Nitrided finishes are readily available,  ( on lower priced guns like DW and, as you mentioned, Glocks), and wear better, why settle for a thicker, tolerance affecting coating that wears ? Especially on a gun that's at the fat end of $3K.

Edited so as to not hurt peoples feelings
View Quote

I completely agree.  Cerakote, Armor Tuff, etc look like crap when it starts to wear, and is why I like bluing or a Tenifer, Melonite, or similar DLC coating.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#34]
relatively speaking, yes it is.

looking used doesn't bother me.
but when DLC and Nitrided finishes are readily available,  ( on lower priced guns like DW and, as you mentioned, Glocks), and wear better, why settle for a thicker, tolerance affecting coating that wears ? Especially on a gun that's at the fat end of $3K.

Edited so as to not hurt peoples feelings
View Quote

It was pretty easy to settle on a finish that is proven to work just fine, wear just fine, and have all sorts of custom colors and patterns. There's plenty of factory guns on the market that use cerakote or hydro dipping(LOL) and have a steep price tag. So i don't see your argument here outside of they're more durable and cost more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#35]

It was pretty easy to settle on a finish that is proven to work just fine, wear just fine, and have all sorts of custom colors and patterns. There's plenty of factory guns on the market that use cerakote or hydro dipping(LOL) and have a steep price tag. So i don't see your argument here outside of they're more durable and cost more.
View Quote

Nope, that was pretty much my argument. More durable.

Durability > colors.

YMMV

the DW was finished in DLC, is 2 years older than the Wilson and has more rounds through it. The Wilson was carried a bit more.

Wilson makes a very nice gun. I like mine a lot. But the finish is a bit shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Nighthawk. I have a Wilson-tuned Beretta that was allowed to leave their place TWICE in need of attention. First time, it was having light primer strikes after they did a trigger job (3-10% of the time, depending on ammo) and the second they fixed that problem, but mis-installed the trigger return spring and destroyed it...

-shooter
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m really surprised. I figured it’d be 50/50. I wonder what happened to Wilson.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m really surprised. I figured it’d be 50/50. I wonder what happened to Wilson.
View Quote

I think there's just more people on this that own Nighthawks or the people that own Wilson stuff aren't really chiming in.

Nothing happened to Wilson. Wilson and Nighthawk both make lemons.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I would lean toward Nighthawk these days because they are doing some new and interesting things (for them) and Wilson seems to be building the same old 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a Nighthawk GRP and a T3, both are perhaps the best shooting guns I've ever had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top