Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 11:29:52 AM EDT
I grew up grew up shooting my father's M28 and have been a longtime S&W fan.  However, the rising prices on pre-lock Smith's give me some reservations about putting much carry wear on the nicer revolvers in the collection.  Ruger's Wiley Clapp GP100's caught my eye and got me looking for a 3" model to test the non-Smith waters. My prejudices against adjustable sights and Hogue grips narrowed down the market significantly. Last week I picked up this lightly used ~2008 produced 3" model in a local shop for $450. The compact Lett type grips are very comfortable and felt much better to my hand than the current OEM monogrips.

The option of having a bobbed hammer for carrying lead me down the rabbit hole to find that Ruger won't sell them without a return trip to the factory. As luck would have it, Numrich showed GP hammers in stock for around $30 shipped. The hammer as received was orange with rust on one side and had the D/A sear frozen in place. A good soaking in Ed's Red, 0000 steel wool, and a bit of flitz got it back into operation. The ability to quickly change hammers with the Ruger design was a benefit I could appreciate. Preliminary testing proved that tolerances were with me on this one. DA and SA operation appears to be 100% with both hammers.  I'll try my hand at removing the spur on the Numrich hammer later this weekend.

My only surprise on the revolver so far is a wobble in the front sight. The mounting roll pin doesn't look abused but, the sight can rock fore and aft a bit.  Does anybody have a source for brass or gold bead front sights. It looks like Gemini, expensive as they are, may be the best bet. I was pleased to find that my Galco Combat Master holster for a 2.5" K/L frame fits great with just a touch of muzzle showing.

ETA-Hammer spur removed. Can still see some pitting on the sides. May try to do some more polishing but, so far so good.

ETA-Hammer installed.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak to the sight, but just got a 3" GP100 as well. Took it to the range for the first time and am loving it. Shoots great, very good balance, seems pretty accurate too. Mine is stock with the Hogue grip and channel rear "sight" which I specifically wanted since I plan to carry it hiking and hunting and didn't want an exposed piece of metal to catch on clothing. I can't see the sights anyway so what's the point :)

It's no looker, but I actually like the Hogue grip. I have large-ish hands and it fits perfectly and no roll like when shooting my blackhawk. Near full power loads are easy to shoot. Haven't shot my full power handloads yet, but don't expect them to be a problem. The 3" barrel should provide some nice pyrotechnics with those too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That fits in a K/L frame holster?  Interesting.  I didn't think that would be possible.

Looks good.  Congrats on the new gun!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Check with Dawson for sights
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That fits in a K/L frame holster?  Interesting.  I didn't think that would be possible.

Looks good.  Congrats on the new gun!
View Quote
I was surprised as well. 3" Gould and Goodrich in the stash fits as well as the Galco.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice. Not sure about the age of your eyes, but HiViz fiber optic front sights have been very good to me. You will have to drill the new sight for the pin, but it is not a difficult project.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice, OP.

I had a 3" short-butt GP-100, but like a fool traded it off. Been kicking myself about that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the 3" Wiley Clap GP100 in blue with gold bead front sight. Love the revolver but rarely shoot it. I really planned on it being a hunting carry but haven't been yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
KKM makes fine gold bead front sights for the GP100.  I have one on my 4".

ETA: Sorry, it's on my SW629.  I'm sure there are products out there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice pick up! The GP100's are great revolvers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I really dig the Ruger GP100 in a 3" wheel gun. So much I purchased a Wiley Clapp model with Novak sights etc. If your front sight is that unstable, send it to Novaks for a dovetail Wiley Clapp replacement. No more wobble trust me. Turn around will be under one week.

https://www.novaksights.com/Search.aspx?TERM=Ruger%20GP100
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
only gun I miss that I've sold (probably 100+ at this point) has been a gp100 with the trench rear sight like you have. Can't seem to find one anywhere anymore. mine was a 4" full underlug and had a local guy do some magic on the trigger. anyone know how I would search for that rear sight parameter?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
only gun I miss that I've sold (probably 100+ at this point) has been a gp100 with the trench rear sight like you have. Can't seem to find one anywhere anymore. mine was a 4" full underlug and had a local guy do some magic on the trigger. anyone know how I would search for that rear sight parameter?
View Quote
Fixed sights?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be a standard model.  They make lots of variations.  And yes, the Ruger revolvers respond very well to a little trigger work.  I put a Redhawk front sight on mine, I love it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ruger still makes one with the channel or trench sight but only in 3" (maybe a 2.5" also) that I'm aware of. It's the one I just picked up. Pretty happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Man, I used to have one of those. And like every other gun I have sold, I regret selling it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top