Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2020 8:28:19 PM EDT
Performance Center model.

What ammo does your 41 prefer?
Have any of you replaced the factory spring with a stronger Wolff spring for using HV ammo ( Mini-Mags )?

ETA: I will mostly shoot SV but I would like the option of using HV as I want to use it scoped for some challenging, close range small game
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My rugers seem to work every time so I doubt I will ever have one but its a cool pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Performance Center model.

What ammo does your 41 prefer?
Have any of you replaced the factory spring with a stronger Wolff spring for using HV ammo ( Mini-Mags )?
View Quote
CCI standard velocity...no need for HV....I also have a red dot on mine and it is a great shooter...I use it with a bully barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Post pics when ya get it OP.

Id like to have a 41 someday, have thought about getting one a few times but always talk myself out of dropping the coin on one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#4]
41s are never available at the distributors when I look.  I must miss their once a year runs or something.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:35:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It is probably best to install a Volquartsen extractor now and avoid frustration.

I also use standard velocity CCI through mine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
My LGS has one in stock with the long barrel if you are interested
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Japanese Tasco Pro Class 1X 30mm scope in Leupold QRW2 rings

Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice OP! How's she shoot?
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice OP! How's she shoot?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Runs fine and is very accurate with CCI 36gr Mini-Mags but has some issues running CCI SV
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as I know the 41 has always been set up for standard velocity ammo.

Mostly I have run CCI STD in mine. if you run HV you risk banging it up because the springs are regulated for the lower velocity stuff.

I tried some mini mags a few times and while I suppose you get a bit more power the accuracy of the HV is shabby compared to the stellar accuracy of the CCI STD.

I have tried the higher priced stuff like CCI Green Tag ,CCI Pistol Match and some Eley stuff. All shot very good but really no better than CCI STD.

I have some good older lots of Wolf Match Target and Wolf Extra and they were no better than CCI STD and the STD runs cleaner

I have found that hosing down the magazines every now and then with silicone spray keeps things running well.

The 41 is a no excuse gun. If the S&W 41 with CCI STD is not shooting well it is you , not the gun
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 41 is a no excuse gun. If the S&W 41 with CCI STD is not shooting well it is you , not the gun
View Quote
The issue is it is not cycling. Mini-Mags cycle fine but SV doesn't
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a mid-80s 41 that shot very well with CCI Green Tag.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot CCI standard velocity in my 9185 model 41. I have 2 barrels and have mounted a Unidot MatchDot II on each one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I run the extra power Wolff recoil spring and buffer (forget who makes it) in mine since all I could find around here for ammo for years was Remington Golden Bullet.

It sees mostly Federal SV bulk pack these days. All the various SV stuff I've tried runs fine with the extra power spring except I do grease and oil it fairly heavy, and sometimes the first few shots fail to feed until it slings some of the excess lubricant off.

Eley Target was extremely accurate, and the Golden Bullets weren't far behind. Better than the Federal SV bulk stuff. I've got some Aguila on hand currently, seems to be fine, roughly equal to the Federal SV stuff in terms of accuracy but it smells weird.

The trigger on these guns is phenomenal and as the above poster mentioned, they are no-excuse guns. Plinking cans, bowling pins, and steel at 100 yards is a blast.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

U can tune them with recoil springs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Over the years I've used both SV and HV ammo through my Model 41.  I have Wolff springs and Buffer Technologies recoil buffer installed.  Been running the gun for over a decade with thousands of rounds (more HV than SV ammo) through the gun.  No issues to report.  I used to have an Aimpoint H-1 on it but took it off and running only iron sights because it was just too easy to shoot dime size holes with the RDS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The S&W factory tests M41s with CCI Standard Velocity.  Unless you're shooting bullseye at 50 yards this ammo is fantastic.  Mine shoots one tiny hole at 50 feet with CCI SV, Wolf and Eley club.  Standard velocity is what these were designed to shoot.  If your 41 doesn't run on CCI SV then send it back to S&W and they will make it right.  If you want to shoot high velocity buy a Ruger.  I have some of those, too!
Jeff
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a new to me 7 inch barreled Model 41 which reliably shoots SV CCI.  Got older 5 1/2 and 5 barreled versions that only reliably function with HV with buffers installed in the latter two.  The only truly reliable round in the 5 1/2 inch piece was the CCI Stinger - in the rimfire world, this would be considered an apostasy.  All are fine examples of American exceptionalism. Years ago I had a 6" example with S&W stamped on the barrel (from a Model 46?).  That gun gave me fits.  Probably should have held on to that one as indicated by all the phone calls I got after I sold it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What grain is the bullet in the SV?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Dad had a Model 46.  My brother has it now (Dad has passed).  
Finally, just this past year, I picked up a used Model 41 in a trade.  

Attachment Attached File

Had not heard of the recommendations for buffers and the VolQ extractor -- thanks gents.  

Edit to add:  @jagdterrier, your screen name is familiar... are you perhaps in the Hampton Roads / Historic Triangle region?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dad had a Model 46.  My brother has it now (Dad has passed).  
Finally, just this past year, I picked up a used Model 41 in a trade.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11039/SW41-01sm_jpg-1703457.JPG

Had not heard of the recommendations for buffers and the VolQ extractor -- thanks gents.  

Edit to add:  @jagdterrier, your screen name is familiar... are you perhaps in the Hampton Roads / Historic Triangle region?
View Quote

Nice looking pistol.

Yes, WMBG area
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What grain is the bullet in the SV?
View Quote

40gr
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Well SOB. I am considering the same Performance Center.

Would you do it all over again OP?

Talk to me and give me the low down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I would do it all over again. Even with the hiccups with SV ammo, it is one of my favorite firearms.

I have not shot it in a year this month. I decided not to re-up my gun club membership then purchased the S&W ( along with a couple of other firearms ) and only had 2 weeks to shoot before membership expiration. I didn't get near enough rounds to even break in the pistol. I am waiting now to see if I can get back into the club this year. If I do, the 41 will be my most used firearm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Newer 41 will probably have a spring that will handle HV.

The old 41 's were notoriously ammo finicky due to tight chambers newer production aren't.

Ammo ... Find a SV that runs reliable most SV is accurate enough to clean a 50yd so don't waste money on $$ match ammo. CCI SV and Aguilla SE are both great loads .

The only difference between CCI SV, CCI greentag and Pistol match is GT & PM are SV lots that tested to tighter accuracy standard at a massive retail price increase. The avg plinker would never tell the difference a High Master bullseye pistol shooter might see a few more X's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Newer 41 will probably have a spring that will handle HV.

The old 41 's were notoriously ammo finicky due to tight chambers newer production aren't.

Ammo ... Find a SV that runs reliable most SV is accurate enough to clean a 50yd so don't waste money on $$ match ammo. CCI SV and Aguilla SE are both great loads .

The only difference between CCI SV, CCI greentag and Pistol match is GT & PM are SV lots that tested to tighter accuracy standard at a massive retail price increase. The avg plinker would never tell the difference a High Master bullseye pistol shooter might see a few more X's.
View Quote

I have CCI SV and that will not run reliably. It is almost there the last time I shot but it was still having some issues. CCI Mini-Mags ran well, not perfect but pretty good. as mentioned in an above post, I haven't run enough ammo to break the pistol in.

I did purchase a Wolfe spring set and a Clark ( ? ) extractor. I haven't installed any of them yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks jagdterrier for the vote of confidence.

Well I jumped.
I was getting second thoughts from some of the reading about them. Its a lot of money for something that could be finicky.

I had started looking at older ones on line. However I wouldn't save very much for one in the condition I would settle on and I really like the Performance Center model Integrated rail.

I went ahead and grabbed two 50 round boxes of Fiocchi Performance Shooting Dynamics 40gn SV. So I could stop off and blast a can.

I went and checked this one out locally. It was perfect. So here she is.

It was getting dark so all I can say as of now is it fired 40 rounds of it flawlessly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I went back out after work today. And tried some CCI STANDARD VELOCITY. It would not cycle. I tried Remington Subsonic. It would not cycle.
I went back to the Fiocchi and it cycled. Only the trigger felt very gritty. Like it had sand in it. It even stuck like it had the Safety on several times. :(

We will see what the place I bought it from says. I hope they take it back so I don't have to deal with S&W on this crap.

Well It sure is purdy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#31]
My Mom (yes Mom) ran a Model 41 when she was on a pistol time in the early 1970's.  She had taught several others how to shoot with it.  She ran Remington Standard Velocity ammunition through it.  

I have used it quite often over the years and it is a sweet pistol.  The pistol has the 5 1/2" bull barrel, 7 1/2" field barrel with comp., and the weights.  I still turn to it when I want to use a pistol to work with a shooter having challenges shooting their pistol.  I also use it when introducing new shooters to pistols.  If seems to fit a vast majority of people, the sights are just right, and the trigger is very smooth.  

Enjoy it.  I'd like to buy a new one and mount a suppressor to it.  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I feild stripped it and took the grips off. The trigger bar was not lifting into place to grab and trip the sear. I removed its spring and flexed it to give it more resistance to help lift the trigger bar. I also moved around other parts like the magazine disconnect checking for play and movement. Put it back together and it is working fine again?

Seems odd.

ETA.
I field stripped it down and removed  the grips again. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner to blow out any loose debris and it is still firing any thing I feed it?

I will be shooting the shit out of it for break in to be sure it's GTG.

I will keep you posted.

*Update, no further issues. Feild stripped again, and sprayed with carb cleaner. Then oiled liberally. Wiped access, and reassembled. Using lithium grease on the frame locking pivot. Friction point at barrel.
Fired 10 rounds of Aguila super extra. Then
50 Remington Subsonic
50 CCI SV
50 SK Match Rifle
Flawlessly with a great crisp trigger. I am hoping the issue never returns.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I feild stripped it and took the grips off. The trigger bar was not lifting into place to grab and trip the sear. I removed its spring and flexed it to give it more resistance to help lift the trigger bar. I also moved around other parts like the magazine disconnect checking for play and movement. Put it back together and it is working fine again?

Seems odd.

ETA.
I field stripped it down and removed  the grips again. Sprayed it down with carb cleaner to blow out any loose debris and it is still firing any thing I feed it?

I will be shooting the shit out of it for break in to be sure it's GTG.

I will keep you posted.
View Quote

Was this a new pistol?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Was this a new pistol?
View Quote

Yes, the place I got it from had it in their inventory as of 08-07-2018.

This particular Performance Center is stamped
SMITH & WESSON
SPRINGFIELD, MA. USA
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I was out at three gun shops today and I think I saw four M41s. Man those are nice looking pistols.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one is the fact that I can't use a suppressor with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was out at three gun shops today and I think I saw four M41s. Man those are nice looking pistols.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one is the fact that I can't use a suppressor with them.
View Quote

If you add a Clarks Barrel you can
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you add a Clarks Barrel you can
View Quote

This site has cost me a lot of money in the last year...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:47:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Yup, me too.... cost me plenty over the years... but I’ve loved every minute of it....

I went out and picked up a regular non-performance center version with the 7” slide.

I stopped at the club on the way out of town for a trip and the wife and I tired to give it a first run.

It was a jam-o-matic on the first session and I’m still not back to home to clean it up and do as in the post above.

The main failure seems to be the cases being fairly stuck in the chamber after firing. I think the balance of the issues all started with the case not extracting, so I’ll hold off judging it further till I get it home and work on cleaning the chamber and taking a look.

When it did cycle well, it was very nice. I’m hoping a field strip and cleaning will turn it around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Not an expert, but my understanding is that these can have a very tight chamber.  So hopefully a good cleaning, running a couple of hundred rounds through it and then never letting it get too dirty will solve the problem.

I do have a CZ rimfire rifle and if I go too long between cleaning I start getting failures to extract.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not an expert, but my understanding is that these can have a very tight chamber.  So hopefully a good cleaning, running a couple of hundred rounds through it and then never letting it get too dirty will solve the problem.

I do have a CZ rimfire rifle and if I go too long between cleaning I start getting failures to extract.
View Quote

What model CZ rimfire do you have that issue with?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#41]
LH CZ 452.  Beautiful gun and an absolute tack driver, but if I don't clean it every couple of hundred rounds I will occasionally get a failure to extract after the round is fired.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
LH CZ 452.  Beautiful gun and an absolute tack driver, but if I don't clean it every couple of hundred rounds I will occasionally get a failure to extract after the round is fired.
View Quote

That's really surprising. Never had that happen with a 452, no matter how dirty.

I've owned I think at least six 452s, still own five of them. Big fan of that rifle, hence the 452 in my screen name.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Couple things to consider:
I have a savage Mark II ( apples to oranges I know) but it was having issues extracting CCI standard. Over on some of the various rifle forums this is a known issue. While savage responded by sending me new extractor and spring a switch to Eley and the issue resolved.
Also the CCI standard of today ( though still the best domestically made rimfire ammo- not that anyone else’s is worth a darn) is a far cry in quality from that produced years ago. Different ammo ( hard right now I know) may solve the problem
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe it was the ammo.  Don't really remember what I was using.

Agree that the CZ452 is a terrific rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Couple things to consider:
I have a savage Mark II ( apples to oranges I know) but it was having issues extracting CCI standard. Over on some of the various rifle forums this is a known issue. While savage responded by sending me new extractor and spring a switch to Eley and the issue resolved.
Also the CCI standard of today ( though still the best domestically made rimfire ammo- not that anyone else’s is worth a darn) is a far cry in quality from that produced years ago. Different ammo ( hard right now I know) may solve the problem
View Quote

That is very interesting. As soon as I get a chance, I am going to try some SK, Wolf, and Eley SV ammo in my 41.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top