Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 3:59:33 PM EDT
The next handgun I want to buy is an S&W 686 6". Not the plus model, just the 6 shot 686.

Of course, the one thing I don't like about the new 686's is that lawyer lock, hillary hole, whatever you want to call it.

At this point I'm weighing my options. Do I buy the new model, take out that junk, taper the hole and put in a taper pin, then flush and blend the surfaces to make that hole disappear OR do I just buy the older pre-lock model? Do the new ones have quality issues, are the old ones better built, etc?

Also, can the front and rear sights be replaced on the old model? I'd like to possibly put on some fiber optic or tritium sights on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That's entirely up to you...but I'll say this:

A good friend and long time revolver gunsmith (who is pushing 70 and has shot competition revolver for almost as long as I've been alive) runs post lock S&W's and according to him, they've never given him an ounce of trouble. I got a kind earful when I took him my 627-5 and asked about removing it, he said doing it serves no purpose. I've had my 627 since Dec of 2016, shot 1000's of rounds down the barrel and not once has that lock caused me a bit of grief. To add to that, the lock has been on every single new S&W revolver I've bought figuring I was 21 after they came out...not once has one failed me.

So...if you despise the thing, take it out, if you feel it will fail...I'm guessing it won't.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I would remove it not because I'm afraid it would fail, but simply because it ruins the look of the gun. Of all the places to put it, why there? I've seen some with the lock in the hammer itself. That, and the principle of putting it there in the first place kind of puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Good to know, though. I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable about revolvers. I'm more of a semi-auto guy, but I've always have had a soft spot for a wheelgun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a used S&W and enjoy your savings.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait, a used S&W would be cheaper than a new one?

Color me surprised. I would have thought they would be like Colts, just as expensive if not MORE expensive than a new one, esspecially if the used one did not have a feature on it that everyone hates.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Color me surprised. I would have thought they would be like Colts, just as expensive if not MORE expensive than a new one, esspecially if the used one did not have a feature on it that everyone hates.
View Quote
It varies...

My thing with revolvers (and really with all other firearms), is I do not trust previous owners. Because of this, I need to see the firearm in person. I need to check everything over to make sure it hasn't been beat to hell and back.

I'll say that if they are in excellent shape, you're going to drop some $$$ on a used model, probably more than if you buy new.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, the work you describe doing to remove the lock on a new one won't be cheap. Also, you will probably void any warranty you would have with Smith & Wesson. Once you mess with  a "safety feature" all bets are off.

Older S&W revolvers CAN be very expensive but if you learn what to look for and how to inspect an individual specimen, you CAN find hidden jewels at small gunshows and on local gunboards.

I inherited a modest collection of pre-lock (heck most of them are  pre-Bangor Punta) S&W revolvers from my Dad. In addition, I have a pre-lock 686+ and a post lock 629 and model 60 and .500mag. I have never had a problem with any of them. My "lawyer lock" equipped guns have never failed despite being the ones I shoot the most, due to their lack of collectibility.

If you really can't live with the "lock" then buy a thoroughly inspected pre-lock version. Otherwise, live with the lock you will never use and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I buy almost all of my firearms used.  Mostly for cost savings.  Most used firearms aren't all that used.

The lock is a non-issue with me but currently none of my Smiths have it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I would buy used without reservation. With effort and above all patience, you can often find used smiths for far less than new. A casual examination of my local classifieds on line and visit to 3 or 4 pawn or gun shops will turn up at least a half dozen 686’s in good condition at $600 or less.
As far as sights they could be replaced but this ( depending on. The front sight design- some were pinned in place others are solid attachments) may be a costly effort. My opinion being a long time ( approaching 40 years now!) revolver shooter is the standard old plain black sights do everyhing that needs to be done with a revolver ( I do not even care for the red ramps common on the stainless guns ) and yes I have done a good bit of low light / night fire with black sights in conjunction with a light for + target ID and they are perfectly adequate
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got this just a short while back at a gun shop in Tacoma, WA.  S&W 686, SS, 4", 6 shot, with that Crimson Trace lazer grip, and no Hillary hole for $600.  Retail on a new one was way higher.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
In all my decades of buying revolvers I have never bought a new one. Every single one has been used. Plus, I will never buy one with "The Hole".
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Used smiths are cheaper than I thought. It'll be a little bit before I get serious about looking for one (A Romanian AK is next up on my list after I get my 92A1 ready for EDC), but definately some good info here to consider.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
If you get a new one go with a Performance Center model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top