Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2021 11:03:32 AM EDT
I just picked up a gen 5 19 yesterday. I have not shot it yet but I didn't really think Glocks had a break-in cycle. I noticed when I go to eject a round if doing it lightly it is very hard to pull back once it hits the ejector. So the only way to eject the round is to rack the slide with some momentum and force. This is not something I have seen in any of my other handguns including my other glock or any other glock 19s I have used. Is the extractor just stiff or something and needs to be broken in??
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A new gun will be tight and usually requires more force to cycle the slide.  The speed of the slide reciprocating can have an effect on ejection pattern.   Shoot the pistol and I suspect it will be fine.   Many Glock pistols require full power ammo to function reliably when new.   Shoot a couple hundred rounds and I think your new Glock slide might feel a little different when charging or unloading the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a new Glock 19 gen 5 two weeks ago or so.

I have been shooting auto pistols for over 30-years. My new Glock had the rare failure to chamber a round shooting 115 grain factory ammo. I went to 147 grain ammo, a very tight grip, and the jams went away. I also did some hand cycling of the slide and that seemed to help some. Yes, I cleaned and properly lubed the pistol before ever shooting it.

Recently I put the small beaver tail on it and like that very much. The Glock 19 in my opinion is the best thought-out pistol I have ever owned, and a joy to shoot.

clean and lube
strong grip
hot ammo early on
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive recently gone over the a 17mos for a duty weapon, and a new 19mos for a carry gun.

I lubed them, and shot the crap out of them for about two days a week for a month with 115gr target stuff.
No issues outside of an occasional slide not locking back when magazine is empty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The gen5's do this due to the breech face cut.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
So you haven't shot the gun yet to verrify if the malfunction that isn't happening still isn't happening?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you haven't shot the gun yet to verrify if the malfunction that isn't happening still isn't happening?
View Quote

Read my post again. I am not talking about a malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it... a lot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/download_jpg-1866130.JPG
This!  Normal (for gen 5)

Benefit: launched brass into lower orbit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This!  Normal (for gen 5)

Benefit: launched brass into lower orbit.
View Quote

Got it, thanks!
Makes unloading the firearm kinda annoying but good to hear its not really an issue...
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know what is the specific point of the cut in the breach face?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what is the specific point of the cut in the breach face?
View Quote

Fixing Glock's inconsistent ejection. Brass-to-face and associated reliability problems were caused by cartridge casings slipping out of the extractor before being pulled into the ejector. The cut in the breech face gives the extractor much better control of casings.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
In 25 years of shooting, not once have I ever manually test cycled ammunition through a firearm.

I have also never push tested a car to see how it would drive.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In 25 years of shooting, not once have I ever manually test cycled ammunition through a firearm.

View Quote

Right, so I guess you have never unloaded your gun
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Normal for the gen.5's to do this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just let the round fall out the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just picked up a gen 5 19 yesterday. I have not shot it yet but I didn't really think Glocks had a break-in cycle. I noticed when I go to eject a round if doing it lightly it is very hard to pull back once it hits the ejector. So the only way to eject the round is to rack the slide with some momentum and force. This is not something I have seen in any of my other handguns including my other glock or any other glock 19s I have used. Is the extractor just stiff or something and needs to be broken in??
View Quote

You haven't shot it yet.  

Shoot it and report back, save the hand cycling for your johnson.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You haven't shot it yet.  

Shoot it and report back, save the hand cycling for your johnson.
View Quote

^^ this.  Making a issue out of a non issue.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#20]
What the OP is asking about has nothing to with shooting the gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Pro tip:

Semi auto pistols are designed to properly eject fired brass while shooting it, not hand cycling live rounds...
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
OP

How about a range report?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#23]
You really need to shoot it.  

If you are really concerned, here's what I'd do before the first range trip:

1. Clean it
2. Lube it, and be generous in the areas where metal is moving against metal during recoil
3. Verifying your pistol is unloaded, cycle the slide by hand while watching TV or listening to a podcast

Tolerance stackup is a real thing, and sometimes there are "high points" that need a little wear in.  Manual cycling can help that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pro tip:

Semi auto pistols are designed to properly eject fired brass while shooting it, not hand cycling live rounds...
View Quote
Unless you're clearing a malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

1. Clean it
2. Lube it, and be generous in the areas where metal is moving against metal during recoil
3. Verifying your pistol is unloaded, cycle the slide by hand while watching TV or listening to a podcast

Tolerance stackup is a real thing, and sometimes there are "high points" that need a little wear in.  Manual cycling can help that.
View Quote
What the OP is describing is a Gen 5 thing due to the added cut in the breach face.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't routinely cycle loaded ammunition through a pistol.   When I unload a carry gun, I drop the mag and then cycle the slide.  I usually do this slower and gentler than a malfunction drill, and I actually don't want the live round to strongly eject because I'm usually doing it next to a bench and want the round to stay where it lands.

If you want to cycle loaded ammo to simulate a malfunction drill, you don't cycle the slide slowly or gently.  You grab it and pull it back decisively and with some energy behind it.  An old fella I used to shoot with when I was younger would say "Rack it like ya got a pair!"

Bottom line is what you are doing isn't really telling you anything about the actual performance of the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What the OP is describing is a Gen 5 thing due to the added cut in the breach face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Clean it

Got it.  I'm not familiar with the the Gen 5.  So really, this puts us back at "shoot it"
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess OP bugged out without giving a range report on his new G19-5.

I am going to guess he is probably enjoying shooting his G19 by now.

I have bought and owned many handguns over the last 40 years, and the G19-5 is to me one of the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top