User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2020 7:03:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
4.25" barrel.  I assume for the Canadian market?

Semi-bright finish?

I am assuming MIM lockwork.  (MIM doesn't bother me, but it does many).

It is a boomer blaster for sure, in a yeet-cannon world.

Would be nice if they could stuff a 10mm or a .41 mag in it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Dunno about Canada but 4.25 inches and 42 ounces unloaded weight puts it just barely into legal for IDPA SSR category.  That is why I will buy the 4.25” version - so I can shoot it in my local matches.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
$1500

nah, ill just hang out here with my other poors

I could not justify that for an old one, and those late fifties guns were really nice.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]
MSRP is $1499, street price should be some less.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
More like more then MSRP for the first few runs at least.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More like more then MSRP for the first few runs at least.
View Quote
Exactly.

These will probably sell like hotcakes when they first hit the shelves.  So I'm sure retailers will charge the full MSPR - or higher - during the buying frenzy.  It'll be a while before inventory and prices normalize.

I'm definitely interested in buying one, but I'll hold off at least a year before I even think about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely interested but want to see how they compare quality wise
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Shooting the New Colt Python with Ken Hackathorn #812
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Several on gunbroker this morning. All over $2000.00 !
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I really want one, but I’m not sure I really need it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Several on gunbroker this morning. All over $2000.00 !
View Quote
You always get that though.  I remember when the Mossberg

MC1 came out.  They were running north of $400.  Now they are mid 200’s.  I doubt this gun will drop much of any. They may hold back and release batches to keep the price up
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
When the king cobra came out, LGS had a price of $900.  I waited, curious to see if they can get pythons in.  They seem to get things in before many do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in for one for sure.  Too bad no nickel or blue finish availability.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Seeing a few on gb for $1799.  Also seeing 18 pages of originals with barely a bid on any of them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t know anyone doing nickel anymore (which in my experience is kind of fragile).  A lot of the chemicals used in the old blueing processes are hazardous so you don’t see a lot of that anymore either.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I will get one for sure. Don't mind paying MSRP, but won't pay over that. I used to own three Pythons (two 6" and one 4"), I sold them all to buy other stuff. Would love to get one back in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t know anyone doing nickel anymore (which in my experience is kind of fragile).  A lot of the chemicals used in the old blueing processes are hazardous so you don’t see a lot of that anymore either.
View Quote
When Colt introduced the stainless steel Python in 1982-83 they stopped making bright nickel versions.
To get the bright nickel look all they had to do is offer Bright Polish or Ultimate Polish stainless.
That looks like bright nickel but without the fragile nature and the need for special plating equipment..

Colt never used any of the old bluing methods for the Python or any other guns after WWII.
After the war Colt, like almost all other gun makers began using the modern hot salts bluing process.

The only difference between any other maker or any other Colt model and the Python was the level of hand polishing needed to get the Colt Royal Blue finish.
The old story was that while other makers guns were on trucks heading to the distributors, the Python was still at Colt being polished.

Around 1969 Colt did change to a different chemical composition for their hot salts bluing, and this is noted as having a more mirror Black color then the 50's and 60's hot salts chemical that had a slightly more blue color.
Other then that the only difference with the Python and other guns was the ultra-high polishing that gave it that mirror finish.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
It's worth taking a look at one - need to check out the dealer to see when one arrives.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I really want one, but I’m not sure I really need it.
View Quote
Colt is killing me first the classic 1911....yeah I know it’s only rollmarks ...and now this!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
They need to make a 3" version marked Combat Python.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yet!
There will be
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
It still has a v spring action. Colt did re-engineer the action and removed 14 parts.  So I don't know how much the new Python's action will feel like an old Python.  Will it still have that bank vault super tight cylinder to bolt lock up when the trigger is pulled all the way back?  We will just have to see.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a 6” brushed SS Years ago.   Killed Deer with it.  Traded it Years ago in a gun shop for a W Germ P225.....ya ..... done dummer.  I still have the P225

Anyway..... I wonder bout the rifling...... this snake used to have a rifling twist with a Gain rate specially set to a 158gr wad cutter

Probably did away with that expensive detail....

H
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I am reading and seeing on YouTube some of these are having problems. Light hammer stricks and cylinder not turning.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Colt quality on full display, starting at 30:30, recall already in progress according to reports.

Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Semi-bright finish?

I am assuming MIM lockwork.  (MIM doesn't bother me, but it does many).

It is a boomer blaster for sure, in a yeet-cannon world.

Would be nice if they could stuff a 10mm or a .41 mag in it.
View Quote
With a snake gun released every year, I'm hoping for a Anaconda in 2021.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With a snake gun released every year, I'm hoping for a Anaconda in 2021.
View Quote
YES!!!

I want the Anaconda more than the Python.  But I get it - the Python is a bigger draw.

So long as Colt does an honest job with these snake guns I will buy every model they produce.  Won't get every barrel length & variation, mind you, but I'm not a hardcore collector.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am reading and seeing on YouTube some of these are having problems. Light hammer stricks and cylinder not turning.
View Quote
I don't know why people are surprised when the first production run of any new product has teething issues? This is common and not just in the firearm sector. That's why I never run out and buy the first release of anything. Let other people pay full price to be the Beta tester.

Case in point, I dreamed of the Glock 48 for a good 10+ years before Glock announced it but I still waited more then a year after the initial release to buy one. Let the first kid on the block types test it out and in the mean time, 'll wait for the prices to settle down and the kinks to be worked out.

They may or may not have some first run issues but from what I'm reading and hearing from people who know their shit like Mr Hackathorn in the video posted above is, this new Python is superior to the old one in just about every way. The only thing that will probably hold me back from buying one in a year or 2 is, I'm just not into SS guns, especially at that price point. if they come out with a nicely done deep blued finish version (or maybe even some case hardening) and work out issues (if there are any?) then I'm in!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#30]
As a Colt Python fan ( since a kid in the 80s lol)
I’m glad the Python is making a comeback.
But, saying that...comparing the new ones to the old is moot.
(its like comparing a mint 56 Ford truck to a more modern 20 ford raptor)
I would still get one, but I will still keep my 67, 73, and 80s Python :)
Just my 2 cents...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is going to eat away Smith & Wesson's market share. The lawyer locked 686 goes for a similar price and once initial demand dies off, these new Pythons will sell affordably well.
View Quote
What's the deal with the lock. Does it affect performance or reliability? Or is it just the fact that it's there.
I mean I would prefer it not be there but I don't think it's deal breaker for me unless it causes issues.

686's still way cheaper than most New Pythons I have found by about $500. The New Python's trigger beats anything I have felt in a revolver though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's higher around here.

LGS has one for $1900.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top